It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Crisis: Silvio Berlusconi Vows To Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Italian Crisis: Silvio Berlusconi Vows To Resign

www.bbc.co.uk

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has confirmed he intends to resign after key economic reforms have been approved.

His announcement follows a vote in parliament on the budget in which he appeared to lose his majority.

Both allies and opponents have been urging Mr Berlusconi to step down as Italy's debt crisis grows.

Borrowing rates have shot up in recent days, raising concerns over whether Italy can service its debts.

While Italy's deficit is relatively low, investors are concerned that the combination of Italy's low growth rate and 1.9tn euro (£1.63tn; $2.6tn) debt cou
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In addition to Greece's Papandreou also recently stepping down it would seem that the puppets in volatile economic areas of the Eurozone are being replaced. Potentially to mask what is happening behind the scenes and provide a charade to the Italian people that something is being done to rectify the current, undesirable socio-economic climate amidst fears of a national default on debt.

He is also thought to be worth $9bn (£5.6bn), and controls an empire spanning media, advertising, insurance, food and construction

Sounds like his post-political career will consist of sub-contracting his services to his successor..gone, but not forgotten by any means.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/11/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
They should take $8 billion of his estimated $9 billion and subtract it from the debt he created. A billion will still buy him plenty of French prostitutes with webbed feet named Chloe. (Austin Powers ref)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
They should take $8 billion of his estimated $9 billion and subtract it from the debt he created. A billion will still buy him plenty of French prostitutes with webbed feet named Chloe. (Austin Powers ref)

Aye, they certainly should...got the reference before I seen the brackets
classic.

It's ridiculous that it is permissible for somebody to generate such wealth in private ventures and then go on to be the head of a nation.

I wonder if the image of a saint ever burnt in his bleeding palm?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
LOL

He's lying his arse off again - he has no intention of resigning.

If it works, he'll claim the glory, and if it doesn't, he'll say his hands were tied.

He really is a funny bugger.

Y'know, for a world leader lol

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

In addition to Greece's Papandreou also recently stepping down it would seem that the puppets in volatile economic areas of the Eurozone are being replaced.

You know what?

I've been hearing about Berlusconi non-stop at school for weeks. I don't really care about European politics or economics, but today it really all came together.

You see, the neo-liberal finance types are trying to force Italy into austerity. Berlusconi runs a strong state composed of patronage appointments, which happens to be the enemy of neo-liberal reform (which is to de-regulate everything so private sector can take over).

In essence, Berlusconi is protecting Italy's public sector from neo-liberal reform (the same reform being shoved onto Greece and Spain). And the whole Italy crisis thing? It's all politics. The crisis is overexaggerated and regional opponents to Berlusconi are doing whatever they can to take him out of power (including media campaigns to destroy his image).

And the worst part is that you'll never see this see this side of the story from the mainstream media, because the neo-liberals own it. This is economic colonization in action.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I will believe this if/when it happens. He will probably find a reason to not go. He knows as soon as he's gone he's screwed.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Just resigned.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

In addition to Greece's Papandreou also recently stepping down it would seem that the puppets in volatile economic areas of the Eurozone are being replaced.

You know what?

I've been hearing about Berlusconi non-stop at school for weeks. I don't really care about European politics or economics, but today it really all came together.

You see, the neo-liberal finance types are trying to force Italy into austerity. Berlusconi runs a strong state composed of patronage appointments, which happens to be the enemy of neo-liberal reform (which is to de-regulate everything so private sector can take over).

In essence, Berlusconi is protecting Italy's public sector from neo-liberal reform (the same reform being shoved onto Greece and Spain). And the whole Italy crisis thing? It's all politics. The crisis is overexaggerated and regional opponents to Berlusconi are doing whatever they can to take him out of power (including media campaigns to destroy his image).

And the worst part is that you'll never see this see this side of the story from the mainstream media, because the neo-liberals own it. This is economic colonization in action.

You are bang on mate, I see the same thing as well.
My concern now is what is the new guy going to be like?

top topics

join