It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You do not own your children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I wish people would recognise this simple fact - you do not own your children.

Your children are people in their own right. You are their guardians until they are adults.

You should support and cherish your children.

What you should not do is:

1. Brainwash your children - let them choose their own way in this world.

2. Harm your children in any way - and this includes badmouthing either parent.

3. If a child is reacting extremely to anything you say or do, or want them to do, stop it immediately.

What you should do is:

1. Laugh and make jokes a lot - laughter is great and it buoys up kids.

2. Act like a friend - that way, they will be more likely to come to you with their problems.

3. Let them know you are always there, no matter what.

+41 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Your children are people in their own right. You are their guardians until they are adults.

3. If a child is reacting extremely to anything you say or do, or want them to do, stop it immediately.

What you should do is:

2. Act like a friend - that way, they will be more likely to come to you with their problems.

What you Shouldn't do is tell other people how to raise their kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wait... where is the religious conspiracy in this?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarxx

Yeah,

But what I should do, and have done, is to tell people that they do not own their kids.

A lot of people will not like this - when I said this to my mother, she was shocked.

People hate the truth.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Wondering what the point of this thread is too.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

reply to post by Zarxx

Yeah,

But what I should do, and have done, is to tell people that they do not own their kids.

A lot of people will not like this - when I said this to my mother, she was shocked.

People hate the truth.

Who's saying that they do? I sure don't say that about my kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The point of this thread is the title.

Also, when I get criticism from people saying "Don't tell parents what to do" I have to laugh (or cry).

Because the only things I advised were positive.

If you don't get it, don't have kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

The point of this thread is the title.

Also, when I get criticism from people saying "Don't tell parents what to do" I have to laugh (or cry).

Because the only things I advised were positive.

If you don't get it, don't have kids.

I understand your concerns, but step back and realize that not all parents say things like "I own my children" That is typical labeling and stereotyping at it's best.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Wondering what the point of this thread is too.

I know this is off-topic, but that cat in your avatar freaks me the hell out

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i agree completely with you OP, in a thread i made a little while ago called, "would you still be religious?" it touches upon this topic.

why do we force everything we believe onto these blank slate beings? its gross, its brainwashing and its wrong.

let them be human and let them be themselves. dont indoctrinate them and brainwash them into having the same values and beliefs as yourself.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

damm - so you mean i cannot sell them ?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I do agree with the title.

Growing up is a crucial period of development. Some parents take it too far and little do they know their kids are becoming hard-wired in the process by their bull# and attitude.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

WOW!

Someone agrees with me. Thanks xx!

When you think about it, it is the only logical way to go.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

Another agreement!

Thank you so much, murk.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Zarxx your a complete idiot and misinterpreting what the post is trying to point out, look beyond the direct words and read the message that they are trying to convey.

Parents dont own their children.... so basically they should not treat them like a dog, but rather they would friend or perhaps police that could kick the .... out of them if they decided to lay a hand on them. As a child they cannot fight back.

The message is that the control of a parent is similar to the control of the state. Once we go beyond this higher authority of controlling ourselves will we be able to be free and expand ideas of why we do the things we do rather then doing them because other people tell them to do it this way and if we dont we are punished.

This is minimalizing the huge complexity to the whole idea but you shouldnt respond to it since you dont understand it to begin with.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

And another supporter!

Thank you so much, thegoods!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

i think your getting being responsible for something and owning something mixed up.
people do not own their kids but they are responsible for them, and whilst they are under other peoples responsibility they had better follow the rules of that household untill they are old enough to be responsible for themselves.

if i am responsible for something, i will look after it the best i can in my own way, it just so happens that everybodies way of what is being a caring parent or looking after something and hence being responsible in certain situations is different.

some parents joke thinking that is best and some raise their voice, both can be taken as bad or good depending on the child, because each one is different and requires a different approach when it comes to telling them off, or getting them to do things they cannot be bothered to do but need to do.

being responsible is not ownership, but it is close, it is being the one who is in charge of descisions untill that responsibility exchanges hands.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

What you should do is:

Just wait until your kid starts making some trouble, and see how the justice system feels like that. Bet they think a lot differently then you.

And think of this, if it wasn't for his or her's parents he would not have been here. An offspring child or adult is and will always be the parents responsability. They put them on the earth, and if the child/adult is in need of help ANY parent will step in to help because it is there job.

People who feel differently should not have kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
You may not own them, but you are 100% responsible for them, their actions, and the way they are raised. Ownership is just an argument of semantics.

Chances are, given the choice, many children will want to sit inside, watch TV and play video games, in which case they will get brainwashed anyway. Kids need a direction, and rather than forcing them to go a certain direction, you should help them find their own direction.

Honestly, I've encountered many a child who could use a good spanking. But honestly, bad parents are the ones to blame for the child's bad behavior in the first place, and they could use a nice slap as well.

What you should do is:

There is no perfect solution to parenting. Different children respond differently to different stimuli. Parents need to learn to read their children and discover what works to discipline them. Give them every opportunity you can. Introduce them to as many new things as possible. Prepare them as much as you can for the life ahead of them.

Teach them that school is a good thing, not a place for geeks and nerds. Learning is something they should want to do. If they have no desire to learn, then they will just turn into another problem for this already messed up world. And most importantly, teach them to think for themselves!
edit on 11/7/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
When it comes down to it we have 2 choices. Either the Govt. owns our children ( and they are trying to do it more and more) or we do.

I made them...I own them until they are old enough to assert their own ownership. This is the only argument I have against the Govt. trying to assert their ownership over my children.

Or let the Govt. decide...

I know we have to pick the lesser of 2 evils here but that's the way it is.

Which do you want?

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join