It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.6 Just Hit Oklahoma..........Felt in Joplin, Mo

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I also meant to share this in my first post. I cant explain it but the day before I had been feeling really weird. Dont misunderstand me. I am not trying by any means to say I predicted this. I just didnt feel right. It is hard to explain. I remember telling my wife that I dont feel right, like I was in a daze. I had the feeling you get when you wake up really quick because you think you are going to be late for work. Weird thing was I had been awake half the day when I got this feeling. It only lasted a few hours. I took a power nap and woke up and felt fine. I told my mother about it and she said some people can sense things better than others. Did anyone else feel this way or can anyone explain what it is I felt?
edit on 6-11-2011 by DarkInsanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well, might get more as the asteroid gets closer. Earthquake in Oklahoma.. jeez. Almost as weird as the east-coast one.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I thought it was another satelitte coming down to earth? Is that the same one or is the asteriod seperate? I think I heard about an asteriod passing within 2000 miles of the earth.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Good Post OP

I was at Occupy KC at the time
and had two different people text me simultaneously from Miami county ie. Paola / Osawatomie ks at 11:02 saying they felt shaking for 2 minutes.
Thats ALOT farther north than Joplin

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

YU55...........Passing through (or hitting) the same time as the national broadcast test on Nov 9th

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Who else felt three earthquakes over the last 48 hours? Just curios.
edit on 6-11-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Dutchsinse Video on Earthquakes and Fracking in the area.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I am in between Oklahoma city and Dallas, (in Oklahoma) .. felt nothing, but everyone in my family felt it. During the first 4.7 quake my dog started barking, possibly because something in the kitchen fell.. He rarely barks.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
my brother lives in miami, and my parents live in wyandotte, both in the NE corner, near missouri, they said they felt it as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
No need to worry, this was just an aftershock from the OU/A&M game. A pounding that hard is bound to have geological repercussions! Boomer!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

My Mom and Brother in Joplin felt it. It was strong enough to make my Mom call me at midnight and wake me up to tell me about it. She was pretty shaken up.

Apparently she heard a roar, then noticed her water glass shaking on the table, then she felt queasy, and then the file cabinets in the room shook. At first she thought it was her imagination, but then her phone rang and it was my brother asking if she felt it too. Her facebook page lit up immediately and everyone she knows was talking about what it shook at their house.

Her and my father have lived in Joplin, MO for 57 and 59 years. They have never felt anything like this. Reports from Joplin from the early 1800's when the New Madrid shook were not even very dramatic. Pretty unbelievable!!

Also, the whole area in and around Joplin, MO is honeycombed underneath with mine shafts and tunnels. Many of the new housing developments are on top of old mining land. Growing up there, we could never believe the places they would level and build houses. If anything bigger than the 5.6 follows this one, expect major damage!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Crackavelli

Yah, your right. It was probably caused by everyone rushing out of the stadium when they realized OU is worthless.

Nice catch.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
While the continuous aftershocks are expected, Holland said, predicting a quake is nearly impossible.
"Oklahoma is not on active plate like Haiti and other earthquake-prone regions," said Holland.
"We know that this is an old fault, now reactivated, interacting with the North American plate and generating pressure," said Holland.
"What we can do is use and learn from these instruments so we can make decisions for the future," he said.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You know what a police officer told me today when I asked him about what could cause shaking to a building. He said big Semi trucks. LOL. Is this for real can a semi truck cause a mini earthquake?

I thought he was joking at first but then I saw this face. He was dead serious. He told me to call the police next time it happens. Now what is the police going to do tell the earthquake to go away?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
You know what a police officer told me today when I asked him about what could cause shaking to a building. He said big Semi trucks. LOL. Is this for real can a semi truck cause a mini earthquake?

I thought he was joking at first but then I saw this face. He was dead serious. He told me to call the police next time it happens. Now what is the police going to do tell the earthquake to go away?

absolutely, a semi can cause a quake felt hundreds of miles away....no sweat, relax

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Crackavelli

well, if that's true, i can only imagine what's going to happen after this year's bedlam battle

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I live in tulsa, ok and have lived in oklahoma all my life (except for one year I was in illinois) first time I've ever felt an earthquake and I was awake when both the one early saturday morning and late saturday night hit. The one saturday night felt like it lasted atleast twice as long as the one in the early morning. (about 10 - 20 seconds) It certainly did shake my 1st floor apartment pretty good.

Might help to tell you I'm 23 btw
edit on 6-11-2011 by SinDefiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Minor by California standards..

I just love when people that have never felt a earthquake are on the receiving end.

Where i live in Calif we had a 4.1 and it did not even make the front pages of the paper.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

you seem to have more in Cali, but there is a major difference between 4.0 and 5.0. If your walking you probably won't feel the 4.0. Most sources don't use the richer scale, instead we use the modified mercalli scale. (based on intensity rather than energy)
The point is, even though OK isn't to far from new madrid, the epicenter was not from there. My vote is for fracking. There have been records of small quakes 2.1 MI from a fracking operation (I'll have to look at a map to see if this recent one is where the other clusters occur. but my gut tells me yes,) article

This article went so far as to say BP oil spill could be a contributing factor. (though as far as I'm concerned, if they are fracking in OK, then it's probably not from the spill, just found it an interesting read)article

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkInsanity

I have been wondering about our bridges too, they are scary enough to drive across without worrying about what all is shaking is doing to what is left of their support systems.

My dog was really keyed up all day yesterday, pacing and whining and begging for something; but it wasn't to go potty, food, water, or attention. He freaked out during the earthquake and was doing his full blown coonhound bay for at least 5 minutes afterwards.

Today however he is back to his lazy couch potato self.....I hope this means the earth is calming down, I discovered last night that I am really not a fan of earthquakes and would really rather not have any more of that size, or god forbid worse!!

Funny story, the night before during the smaller 4.7 my husband though it was our other dog shaking the bed, and I thought the washing machine was off balance, but it stopped before I could get up to go check it. Last night for a second when it started I thought it was the washing machine again...until I heard the rumble and it kept getting stronger and stronger.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am located in north-central Missouri. I felt 3 waves, and total time was probably one minute.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join