learn more

5.6 Just Hit Oklahoma..........Felt in Joplin, Mo

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Buttercookie...maybe you can vouch for me.

I don't normally do this type of thing...I tend to try and stick with a more scientific approach, although with 'outside the box' methods.

But, I know there are people on this thread from the Oklahoma area so I feel compelled to post here. I have shared this on a couple of threads tonight.

Over two months ago, I began making random comments on some of my other earthquake threads that we need to be watching Oklahoma. No reasonn for it. Just that we need to watch. That was before the earthquakes started.

I have shared more of the reasons as to why on my 'odd quakes' thread, but I don't think I need to get into that here.

My message is simple. Please prepare yourselves. I am hoping that these couple of moderate quakes will be enough...but if they haven't gotten you in gear; please do so now. Today. Sunday. Not tomorrow.

If you do not have a family disaster plan, than at last think about it....talk about it. If you don't have an emergency bag put together, then make one. Just get a backpack and throw a first aid kit, survival supplies (knife, heat packs, fire starting material, water purification, space blankets, water parka, flashlight, etc) and enogh water/protein for your family for 3-4 days. In a major disaster it's quite likely that ems couldn't get to you. Your local authorities plan on being isolated for 72 hrs, that it would take that long for FEMA/National Guard to organize and get to you. you should do the same.

I really think something bigger is lurking...and even if I am wrong, it is good to be prepared anyways. No harm there. Now is a good time to do it.
edit on 6-11-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

I'm quoting myself because there has been a lot of activity on this thread and I really want to reach as many people in the area as possible.

I also want to comment to the other West Coasters telling our friends in the midwest to calm down. Please keep in mind there are several differences, the main one being that we KNOW we are living on top of a ticking time bomb. Those of us here that are unprepared have no excuse.

Those in the midwest know about the New Madrid, but I really don't think there has been much education about it prior to the past few years as far as public awareness and training. As to Oklahoma...well, the fact that this is a record quake (for recent recorded history) says it all. We ALSO have to remember that even a 6.0 quake in the Pacific Northwest vs. a 6.0 quake in Oklahoma are two VERY different creatures. It is all about the soils, the plate tectonics and how far/fast the waves travel. Liquifaction is a huge issue, as are sand boils. The quakes are felt over a greater area and the damage is worse. The newer buildings are not built to the same standards. People there are simply not prepared.

So while I am not trying to be an alarmist, I really want to be a realist. I think this is just sound advice.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I too live in Wichita, Ks and I was watching Saturday Night Live at the time it hit. My wife and I were sitting on the sofa and she thought I was kicking the sofa as it was shaking like when the dryer is overloaded or something. I told her we were having an earthquake (since I was in 3 minor quakes when I was in California) and she thought I was kidding her until a few minutes later our tv station broke in and announced an earthquake centered in Oklahoma and that it was felt here in Kansas. That was her first earthquake she has ever been in so was weird for her.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I am in Joplin also. Just joined. Surprised there are so many Joplin people here as I have been lurking for a bout a year and never knew. Felt it at 11 last night. Initially I thought it was a really big wind until the chair started shaking.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by br0ker
Well, might get more as the asteroid gets closer. Earthquake in Oklahoma.. jeez. Almost as weird as the east-coast one.

YU55 is miniscule compared to the Earth and won't have any significant tidal pull on the planet. Earthquakes mostly happen when fault lines and tectonic plates shift, releasing pent up energy through the Earth's crust.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thank you for that reply. We west coasters don't know from tornadoes out here. If I was living in the midwest and a big storm was passing thru with sirens ringing, I'd be shivering. Its almost worse to be waiting for a funnel cloud to come and rip off you and your house to OZ. I like our earth quakes. I've lived here all my life, felt a lot of them. They are here and gone before you can react mostly. Plus they really don't happen often enough to worry me between times about the BIG ONE.

The SF quake of 1906 was that long ago and has not repeated since. California's plate tektonics aren't suited for the likes of a Japan type monster quake as we are not in a subduction zone. And a 100 years apart for bell ringers is a lot better than seasonal storms. As long as we get a lot of smaller seismic events that means things are moving and not binding. You had your big one, now the lessening aftershocks tell you all is well.
Still a kick though, ain't it...
edit on 6-11-2011 by intrptr because: Changed America to California's... My bad, thanks ATS.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I also want to comment to the other West Coasters telling our friends in the midwest to calm down. Please keep in mind there are several differences, the main one being that we KNOW we are living on top of a ticking time bomb.

I think you're not. When the ground stops moving with little earthquakes, then you can start to worry. if you are having mid size events that trail off to after shock quietness, then that is a GOOD thing. If a mid range quake, say 5 to 6, does not set off the "Big One" by bumpin it, then it won't. Like a volcano, a pre storm of small quakes can warn of a bigger event to come, but this is different.
On the west coast, seismologists been warning us for decades of a big one like 1906 SF, but it has not materialized. Due in large part to the infrequent stress relief of smaller events that move things along. Its just my opinion but I have been here on the west coast hearin the fear mongers and witnessing the reality of it for over 50 years. I don't say calm down, I say have fun with your new found seismicity. Have an Earthquake party and everyone goes, oh no its another aftershock! Whew, got out of that one...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Ummm.....sorry, but this is not correct.

The PNW is set up for a mega thrust quakes greater than the one they just had in Japan.

I do not want to get off topic so I will keep it simple. It's called the Cascadian Subduction Zone. The last mega quake was documented by the tsunami it caused in Japan. Look it up, some very amazing stuff.

We are sitting on a time bomb here on the West Coast. All the 'scientists' agree it is not a matter of if but when. The latest numbers say whithin the next 20 yrs.

I think it rather premature to tell those living in OK that they have had their big one and rest easy. NO ONE can say that. Hopefully you are right. However, I am of the mind that we must assume it was but a warning and everyone is better off to be prepared rather than ignorant.

I am not being an alarmist. It is just good common sense to be prepared whether you think the 'big one' is coming or not.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

I also want to comment to the other West Coasters telling our friends in the midwest to calm down. Please keep in mind there are several differences, the main one being that we KNOW we are living on top of a ticking time bomb.

I think you're not. When the ground stops moving with little earthquakes, then you can start to worry. if you are having mid size events that trail off to after shock quietness, then that is a GOOD thing. If a mid range quake, say 5 to 6, does not set off the "Big One" by bumpin it, then it won't. Like a volcano, a pre storm of small quakes can warn of a bigger event to come, but this is different.
On the west coast, seismologists been warning us for decades of a big one like 1906 SF, but it has not materialized. Due in large part to the infrequent stress relief of smaller events that move things along. Its just my opinion but I have been here on the west coast hearin the fear mongers and witnessing the reality of it for over 50 years. I don't say calm down, I say have fun with your new found seismicity. Have an Earthquake party and everyone goes, oh no its another aftershock! Whew, got out of that one...

Please don't spread ignorance. We are suposed to deny it here.

I appreciate your attitude, and I agree that we shouldn't live in fear...however, what you are saying in regards to the quakes, what they mean and how they act is simply not true.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

i'm in dallas and didn't feel anything... my family in fortworth didn't feel it either so i doooooon't know man

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

America's plate tektonics aren't suited for the likes of a Japan type monster quake as we are not in a subduction zone.

You might want to actually look not too far above CA and you'll find that there is exactly the sort of plate that will produce a very similar quake to that of Japan's in March.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

America's plate tektonics aren't suited for the likes of a Japan type monster quake as we are not in a subduction zone.

You might want to actually look not too far above CA and you'll find that there is exactly the sort of plate that will produce a very similar quake to that of Japan's in March.

I'm sorry, you are right. Just off Washington state right? My bad. I should of said west coast California where I am at.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hello all, I have nothing to do with drilling or fracking, just like the Double A baseball team here in Tulsa. Although I have followed the fracking thread over in Ark. in the past year on this site. I have read all the posts in this thread and the post by Kazanoom comes closest to what I felt/witnessed/experienced last night. I had just finished watching the OSU/Kansas game then the local news came on. They were talking about and showing file footage from the 2 A.M. E Q on Sat. morning when my couch started to rumble and I heard a sound. Let me interject right here, this is hard to explain. I heard what sounded like a swarm of bees flying in an eliptical orbit in my living room that transitioned to sounding like a massive hail storm hitting my house. After 30 secs or more, I opened the door onto the patio expecting gail force winds, only to find errie calm and stillness outside. Weird to say the least. My wife is pissed that she slept thru it and it was felt in Wisconsin, lol.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by intrptr

Ummm.....sorry, but this is not correct.

The PNW is set up for a mega thrust quakes greater than the one they just had in Japan.

I do not want to get off topic so I will keep it simple. It's called the Cascadian Subduction Zone. The last mega quake was documented by the tsunami it caused in Japan. Look it up, some very amazing stuff.

We are sitting on a time bomb here on the West Coast. All the 'scientists' agree it is not a matter of if but when. The latest numbers say whithin the next 20 yrs.

I think it rather premature to tell those living in OK that they have had their big one and rest easy. NO ONE can say that. Hopefully you are right. However, I am of the mind that we must assume it was but a warning and everyone is better off to be prepared rather than ignorant.

I am not being an alarmist. It is just good common sense to be prepared whether you think the 'big one' is coming or not.

Sorry, my bad. I changed my other post to reflect what you called out as an error. I said America is not, when I should have said California. Thanks for pointing that out. As alarm bells ringing and all, I was trying to down play the "be very afraid" nature of what I perceive as MSM and "scientists" expert opinions on when we could have another earthquake, or nuclear war or other meltdown, etc. Clamor, clamor, clamor. The sky is falling,etc. I been told this for over 50 years and yet here we are, thats all. Now I go away. You guys can get all ruffled if you like now, sheez. Yes and you should wear your seat belts and carry an umbrella if it looks like rain..

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

And your spreading alarm. I deny that too. You should know better than to rile up people that have little experience with quakes. You are from the west coast right? Show me, a california native, all the major catastrophic massive death scenarios, that have happened here since the 1906 SF tragedy? And don't say 1989, cause I was smack dab during it and less than 100 people died. More are killed in Tornados this year, right? Or car wrecks? Or falling down stairs? Be prepared, but ease up on the "scientists" prediction scare mongering...K?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I didn't feel it here in Wichita KS. Although I did have the music up loud and drinking, I didn't even know about it until
my girl came home from work, she didn't feel it at work but others claim to have in the same building she was in. My friend works in a liquor store and said the back door swong open and a gust of wind came in he thought it was just windy as usual and then all the bottles started to rattle and his first thoughts were "No F******* way" LOL.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If this has been posted my bad. I didnt want to scroll through 11 pages. I found this info from Oklahoma Emergency managment department and found the information a bit disconcerting.

Source - Joplin 7 News

..............Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year until 2009. Then the number spiked, and 1,047 quakes shook the state last year, prompting researchers to install seismographs in the area. Still, most of the earthquakes have been small..............

50 Earthquakes a year to over 1,000 quakes starting in 2009. What major events occured in 2009?

Also, some info about the fault line in Oklahoma as well as discussion about the increase in quakes in Arkansas.

...............Scientists are puzzled by the recent seismic activity. It appeared the latest quake occurred on the Wilzetta fault, but researchers may never know for sure. Earthquakes that hit east of the Rocky Mountains are harder to pinpoint because the fault systems are not as well studied as major faults like the San Andreas in California.........
edit on 6-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by TechniXcality

OMG I am literally having panic attacks over this. 12;26 pm is too early for what I felt. It was between 3-5pm and a web site said 4:03 cst yesterday. I am trying to make sense of this but nothing logical explains it. There were no close plane crashes or tornados. Could I feel a 3.3?

You could easily feel a 3.3, my wife can feel them all the way down to about 1.5. The average threshold of perception for earthquakes is around 2.5-3.0.

I just hope you guys don't get one like I went through as a kid in Japan, 7.3 and 7 min 39 sec of continuous shaking, no fun at all. Makes the smaller ones I feel here in Butte not to scary.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97

Originally posted by eNaR

Originally posted by pointr97

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by randyvs

Fracking

Any stats to go with that theory ?

here is an article from the BBC about fracking, and minor tremors that it may have caused.
but this one seems to be to big to be caused by fracking......heres the article www.bbc.co.uk...

The OKGS has discounted fracking as a cause, the quakes are not centralized, they are to spread out for it to be the cause.

OKGS refers to ???

If it refers to Oklahoma Geological Survey then NO, they have NOT discounted franking as a cause of earthquakes as they cleary say there is the possibility that fracking is the cause!

Not fracking, but if you would like it to be so.....then sure...This is from the June swarm which was pretty similar.

www.newson6.com...

I haven't said or indicated that I want fracking to be the cause. I'm referring to the following Oklahoma Geological Survey that says the earthquakes in the following report could have possibly been as a result of fracking....

www.ogs.ou.edu...
edit on 6-11-2011 by eNaR because: .

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by dreamseeker

YU55...........Passing through (or hitting) the same time as the national broadcast test on Nov 9th

Actually, 2005 YU55 is supposed to pass at approximately 5:30 AM CST, on Wednesday morning, national EAS test is scheduled for 2 PM CST.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

And your spreading alarm. I deny that too. You should know better than to rile up people that have little experience with quakes. You are from the west coast right? Show me, a california native, all the major catastrophic massive death scenarios, that have happened here since the 1906 SF tragedy? And don't say 1989, cause I was smack dab during it and less than 100 people died. More are killed in Tornados this year, right? Or car wrecks? Or falling down stairs? Be prepared, but ease up on the "scientists" prediction scare mongering...K?

I don't want to take away from this thread by bickering. I try to stay out of those types of exchanges here on ATS. Sorry if my last post seemed derogatory...I see that you retracted your statement about the subduction zone and I respect that.

My last statement was in regards to how smaller, moderate and large quakes behave and what they mean. There have been a lot new studies lately that indicate smaller quakes do NOT necessarily relieve stress. It also depends on the type of fault, etc. they originate from. All that aside, I just don't want to educate people with the wrong info. The quakewatch thread has a TON of info on it from people more eduacated than myself.

As to discussing catastrophies that have happened here since 1906....all I can say is that we have been extremely fortunate that we have NOT had a major event here in the states in recent history. But...100 yrs is absolutely nothing geologically speaking. All you have to do is a simple search for the different seismic areas to find out what the risks are...just because they haven't happened yet does not mean the risk isn't there.

All one has to do is look at very recent history of the world:

Japan...over 20,000 dead
Hatiti....over 200,000 dead
Indonesia...over 200,000 dead

Some of the greatest historical loss of life natural disasters were earthquakes and famines.

I am not trying to spread fear. I am simply trying to get people to be aware and be prepared. Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I really do appreciate the fact that you are trying to reassure people not to be afraid. I agree with that. I personally believe there is a difference between fear and prepared/aware.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join