It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If you are going to adopt, maybe the breed is not the only thing to seek, but rather a connection with one of the caged companions looking for love and a good home. Of course you may fall in love with many of them, but I bet one will really connect and you will just know. I have a mixed breed that is mostly Ridgeback and Boxer. She is my first dog and has been a constant source of joy and security.

Good for you adopting, cuz there are many dogs that need good homes. If you get a mixed breed you may avoid some typical health issues when compared to a pure breed. Dobermans are awesome dogs for sure, both beautiful and loyal, but the 3 I can think of in my friends lives, all only lived to be 6 or 8 and all suffered from a brain swelling issue, and hip dysplasia, very sad. I don't know if that should be a factor or not, but something to consider.
It is too bad they have not been able to cure some of these ailments after all these years.

Best wishes,
spec

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm a big "Dog-person" on my way to my second pack. It would be presumptuous of me to give you a strait-forward choice, specially since I think all options are bad.
All my dogs (6+6), are mixed-race, Rottweiler/Mastiff. I will only give you my number one rule:
- never buy a pure breed » The inter-breeding, in almost all races, has been so uncontrolled that all of them have very serious health, and growth problems.

I consider all pure breeds to be a bad choice, and a big risk, but the final choice is always yours...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I rescued a pup from the poubd two years ago. It is the spawn of two dogs you'd never think could actually mate.... He's half Great Dane and half Border Collie. Wierdest looking dog when he was a pup but he has grown into the BEST dog I've ever had.
My 6 and 9 year olds are a handful. He puts up with all there shenanigans and even instigates some of the trouble they get into. He is the sweetest dog I've had (I've had 4 throughout my lifetime and one in the Army) but anyone from outside our 4 member family must be properly introduced to him or I really think he would tear them to shreds and expect us to cook the remains for dinner.
Buddy, (that's the imaginative name my kids came up with....) is truly my best friend. I recently dislocated my shoulder at home. he stood guard and would not let anyone near me while I, first, swore like I never have before then whimpered like a little girl. The paramedics felt so sorry for him when they saw him freaking out when they were gonna take me, they actuall let him ride with us (I know several of our town LEOs and Fire personnel so I'm sure they bent a few rules).
One funny thing was that he looked at me really strangely when they pumped me full of Dilauded. It was like, "Hey, you're not the same guy...." I wasn't with all those narcotics in me, but that just shows how perceptive he is.
Anyway, if you can get a step ladder for a Border Collie or dig a trench for a Dane, consider mating those two for your pup. Or try to get lucky and find one at the pound like I did...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

When you go to the pound you will know the dog that is destined to be yours. That is always the best way to adopt a pet. It is an undeniable connection that will happen and when it does, you will know that she or he is the one.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hate to be a downer but maybe you should think about this too yourself instead of taking up bandwidth with a subject that only will effect your personal life. Why would you want anyone on a forum to "help" you make this choice that will be living in your life...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Get a Persian cat

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Border collie. Hands down, One of, if not the smartest breed of dog. You can train them to do all kinds of amazing things. I watched a nova science episode on dogs where they were interviewing a trainer who's dog could not only recognize and retrieve over a 100 different toys, but when they introduced a new one the animal was unfamiliar with and asked it to get it it was able to reason that the new toy must be the one they wanted as it had never seen it before. If not the border collie, I would still definitely recommend a herding dog for the same reason. German shepherd, sheltie, regular collie, etc. The German shepherd is a nice mix of intellect and attack power, which is why they make such good police dogs. The borders are smarter, but not as good in a fight.
edit on 3-11-2011 by InvaderSkich because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Also, I'd like to add that normally I would agree with the comments about just find the puppy that you connect the best with. This is always a good option when seeking a pet, but since you posted this in the survival forum, I can only assume you are looking for a good SHTF survival dog. Thats why I would stay with the smarter breeds that will stay with you when things get crazy and be able to learn survival tricks. Big dumb muts are fantastic pets and I in no way want to cut them short, I just wouldn't necessarily want to go through the apocalypse with them. (of course even that must be evaluated on a dog by dog basis. I am just generalizing.)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Go to the pound, and let the dog pick you. Trust me you want regret it. I buried my "Scrappy" after 17 years. Last two he was in a doggy wheehair. Dashchund Mix Breed. Best damn dog ever. He picked me, and loved me each & everyday of those 17 years.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Elentarri

Sorry for all the rambling - I love my collection of dogs.

Don't be sorry! This is a very fun and informative thread for me. In the next three months I will have adopted 40 dogs!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Get a Lab .. black or yellow, or a golden retriever. They shed like crazy, but you couldn't ask for a better family dog.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have a American bulldog, He is dumber than a doorknob. I had a Rottweiler previously, the smartest Dog ever. My Kids would always ask how to spell a word and I would tell them to look in the dictionary. One time, the rotty decided to go get the dictionary. He went to a bookcase full of books and actually pulled out the dictionary. After that We would ask the Dog to get the dictionary, and He would every time.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

you might want to consider a Siberian husky

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbread

NOOOOO .. I've never met one that wasn't bat # crazy. And they make the most elaborate escape attempts.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by hotbread

NOOOOO .. I've never met one that wasn't bat # crazy. And they make the most elaborate escape attempts.

maybe a bullmastiff then...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If your getting your dog from the animal shelter then it has to be what you feel in your heart,the connection you and the dog have together..Ask the person about the dogs habits and personalty..Other wise from what im hearing is that you want a dog you can h ave fun with,that will protect you,be calm,but lots of fun,not to big and not to small...That will totally protect you..Well ok..Do not get a chow..Number 1....Golden retrievers are great dogs,mine protected me more then once,Doberman pinchers are great as well,and German shepherds are great to..All very trainable..Great watch dogs and lots of fun...The golden and the lab can be quite noisy though..they bark alot and i really dont know about the Shepard barking..all 3 are your best dogs to get..That would be my choice...If you get a doberman as a pup,please clip the ears..They look better like....

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Great Pyranese

While affectionate with his family and quiet and tolerant in general, if there is something to guard or protect, the Great Pyrenees can become quite territorial. Because they were bred to work independently and make decisions on their own,

I want one..

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4
If your getting your dog from the animal shelter then it has to be what you feel in your heart,the connection you and the dog have together..Ask the person about the dogs habits and personalty..Other wise from what im hearing is that you want a dog you can h ave fun with,that will protect you,be calm,but lots of fun,not to big and not to small...That will totally protect you..Well ok..Do not get a chow..Number 1....Golden retrievers are great dogs,mine protected me more then once,Doberman pinchers are great as well,and German shepherds are great to..All very trainable..Great watch dogs and lots of fun...The golden and the lab can be quite noisy though..they bark alot and i really dont know about the Shepard barking..all 3 are your best dogs to get..That would be my choice...If you get a doberman as a pup,please clip the ears..They look better like....

All 3 dogs are great with kids and people..Not aggressive unless trained to be..You can take them to the park are where ever you would like..And know that if something were to happen that all 3 dogs would be there to protect you...I include the lab in this as well but they can get to be quit large..

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

BOXER! We have three, and in our immediate family, nine - They are wonderful watch dogs - great with kids and listen well if you want to introduce them to new people, REALLY playful, very lovey and the short hair is super easy to keep your house clean! The only thing you need to watch is they can have heart problems.

:-D

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Without a doubt the dog you should get is a Presa Canario. They are loyal, obedient and highly athletic.
They are very protective over their family, they are better guard dogs than Rotts and GS and they are more athletic and much stronger than the other 2.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...
edit on 3-11-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join