It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If you don't have little kids and live an active lifestyle, I highly recommend a German Shorthaired Pointer. If it's looks you are going for (since you seem to think German Shepherds are ugly, which they are), GSPs are hands down one of the best looking dogs money can buy. They are also extremely agile and hunt just about anything. They grow to be about 50-75 pounds and have minor health issues over their lifetimes. They are almost as intelligent as border collies.

That's about all the info I can come up with off the top of my head, but you should do some research on all the suggested breeds mentioned in this thread. Good luck on finding your new best friend!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
IF, and that's a big "if", we ever get a dog, I'm thinking German Shepherd, Siberian Husky, or a Chihuahua.

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Half Lab, half Chow.

I had one of these named Emitt. God I miss that dog. Anyway, I lived in a group of four "campgrounds" off the Mississippi River. We all had golf carts and when I or the neighbors would go somewhere Emitt would run guard duty. Never taught him to do this, he just did it.

One day my neighbors across the street went to the neighborhood bar - there were three - and Emitt went with them. Along the way a huge Rottweiler approached. Emitt was big, but this Rott was bigger. My neighbor's wife became worried about Emitt. Emitt on the other hand approached the Rott amiably, until he got to the dog. The whole thing only lasted a second or two and the Rott was on the ground with Emitt's teeth on his throat.

Another time I and a friend were crossing the levy to make a phone call, Emitt ran alongside. On the way back my buddy stopped his van and said. "My God, three dogs are going after your dog."

I said, "Stop the car and watch this." He did and was even more amazed as Emitt put each one of them down one by one. The whole thing was over with in seconds as well.

When Emitt reached maturity he had gone around and kicked each dogs butt on all four campgrounds, but he had also "hooked up" with some stray mangy Lab - a feral dog. Trouble was he was "hooking up" with this dog about every ten to fifteen minutes, with kids riding by on golf carts watching. Couldn't have that so I took Emitt to have him neutered. After he healed up he went back and kicked each dogs butt again. I guess it was his way of saying that I may not have my cahones, but I can still do you.

We lived about ten miles from town and Emitt would go into town during the day while I was at work. However he knew what time I got home and I would see him running home as I drove there. It was funny, because I would pull up next to him and he would not even look at me, until I called his name. Recognizing me he was in the back of the truck in a flash.

Unfortunately, Emmit's Chow started coming out as he got older and I had to find him a new home. He is happy and has a friend to be with - another dog - but I miss him every day.

Hope this helps.

BTW Right now I am in a completely different area and am working towards getting a Serbian Shepherd. I have a friend who has one and he is from Serbia as well. This dog's name is Vuk - which I am told means wolf. In Serbia these dogs are known for standing up to and running off wolves. This dog is huge, long haired and when he barks you are sure it is the loudest bark you have ever heard in your life, but with people he is like a giant teddy bear - unless you threaten his owner. Although there are currently only three breeders in the US, there are soon to be four.
edit on 3-11-2011 by Ittabena because: BTW

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
Adopt a homeless dog from your neerest pound if you are a dog lover. Dogs bread for pet shops very often come from poor surroundings and in poor health.

Go to your local pound, whichever dog you fall in love with there is the right breed for you.

If you are a true dog lover, do the right thhing and support homless dogs, not ruthless breeders.

I completely agree. My friend just did that and her new dog is so lovely. He was found abandoned by a canal
But now he has a lovely home

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I broke my hand on the face of a beautiful Weimaraner that was trying to shred my lhasa apso apart. As the upper cuts to its jaw ensued a brief moment of " this thing is beautiful and terrifying" occured....amazing silver coat and creepy yellow eyes. Anywho, my dog made it out with only one medium and 4 minor punctures and drinks beer with me happily today, the other dog was not put down and still lives a few houses away...i harbor no ill will after researching its bloodlines.

Lhasa apso...... barks at intruders, drinks beer, licks faces

Weimaraner......bred to hunt big game by british royalty, hard face, beautiful

-Foo

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I do not know dog breeds to well but you posted this in the survival section so I am guessing you want a good hunter if shtf. Look for a breed that looks scary, I know you said you are not looking to be a tough guy but looks alone can save you a SHTF situation. Look for a breed thats smart and good at hunting, one that does not eat much, more food for you.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Japanese Akita

One of, if not THE most loyal dog ever.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Akitas are nice, my roommate's father has one, and I love her to death, but she is a coward. Good dog, but a coward none the less.

Just my two cents worth.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There are two dogs (besides a boxer) whom I feel their breed gives them the most justice in regards to a protector and easy to train. Doberman and Shepherd. I would go with German Shepherd though because they seem to not have any major medical problems as the Doberman can easily injure their legs (if I remember correctly). My police friends recommend the German Shepherd to me....so I am passing the same info along to you.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
i am 100% sold on blue heelers.

here's mine:

top 10 intelligent breeds. crazy loyal...total velcro dog...won't leave your side. the dingo in them makes them crazy affectionate (mine loves to cuddle and love) and also makes them very dominant. my gf has a huge pitbull and my heeler owns that pitbull. they can be a handful to "break" but once you do...they are the most loyal dogs. very intuitive (he knows what i'm thinking before i say anything or move...i know because he moves in line with my thoughts). VERY protective. most should be watched around small kids at first because they are prone to nipping. can be dog on dog aggressive if he comes in contact with a semi-aggressive dog.

he does shed, though. doesn't need much food. very hardy, thick, solid dog. and they are known for having a sadistic sense of humor (he will deliberately do things that he knows upset me and then look at me and kinda smile).

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i recently came into possession of a lovley boston terrier/chiuwauwa. my friends dog had the litter which was awsome to watch from start to finish. the mix is pretty cool and varied looking. good temper, very loving. this can be said about bolth breeds as well but the mix of bolth is an interesting creature on four legs.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

GREATER SWISS MOUNTAIN DOG

A cousin of the Bernese coming from the Rotti line, the Swissy is amazing. It looks very similar to its long haired cousin but has a short coat and larger chest. An amazing companion, simple to train. My 1 1/2 year old has come to work with me since he was 8 weeks old. Never a question as to where he will be. He is not aggressive but will always hold his ground to protect the pack. Give this dog a job and he will be stoked every day. Did I mention that does not drool......ever. If you like a dog that uses a lot of eye contact to communicate, this is the one. There is so much I could say but I'm sure I just sound like everyone else who digs their dog.
On a serious note, take 15 min and research this amazing choice.

Good luck........the search is great fun and the find is everlasting....enjoy.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

My Blue Heeler, Border Collie mix is exactly the way you describe your dog...... His markings are more like those of a Border Collie but he has the head and face of a Blue Heeler complete complete with the Bentley mark... I'm using him as a foot warmer right now or he would be trying to climb into my lap.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Great suggestion. I have known a few and they are sweet.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Another sweet guard dog:

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nice thread, some good tips and I like hearing from real dog owners. At the moment we have a French Bulldog, not much good for anything apart from love and giggles. (Just adopted a blind kitten and he is great with him).

My ideal companion also used for security would be the German Shepard. (I will be working outdoors and we hope to have a bit of land) I have heard many a good story from these animals.

However, my Turkish friend told me about the Anatolian Shepherd, also known as the Karabash and Kangal Dog. Huge and intelligent, I think they used to fight off bears or the like.

This dog used to take tourists from the hotel through the 'dangerous if you dont know the area' mountain paths to the town.
He used to collect and bring them back to.

Although no personal experience with them a little research suggests they should be taken into consideration.

(My wife wants me to put Boxer)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring here

I have 3 dogs, 2 Siberian Huskies (1 male, 1 female ), and 1 Siberian/Golden Retriever mix ( Female ).

While they are fierce looking dogs, I will agree with the poster above ( Skorpiogurl I think
) that they will not make a good actual guard dog if you need a dog to protect you in case of attack. They are more likely to welcome the invader to the house and lick them to death.

Pros: VERY family "pack" oriented. Nothing more fun than watching a group of Huskies play together.. they are a hoot to watch. Very smart ( sometimes too smart ). Look closest to wolves of all the breeds, in fact are used as wolves in many movies. Hypoallergenic. Come in all colorings, so if you dont like black/white, you can go all white, or silver/white or red/white etc. Working dogs. They will run until they drop ( also why a tall fence and large play area are a must with them ). Few health issues. They dont really bark either.

Cons: Fur. OMG the fur. Did I mention the fur?
Almost too loving, they will welcome strangers like they are old friends. You almost need to have 2 of them to keep each other occupied, 1 bored Husky alone can be a very destructive force in your house. You HAVE to keep them confined or leashed at all times. Very strong small prey drive, and like I said before, they love to run. Running becomes a game with them... "ahHA! You are catching up to me, time to run faster..." They do howl... which can be great, and it can be annoying.

A couple of anecdotes for the dog lovers
Our female Husky is quite the character. Ive seen her stare down EVERY dog she has ever come across, and become the dominate one. Even when she has been in her kennel and a dog from the neighborhood comes by, she stares them down to where they back off. BUT! My wife had her out walking one day where we used to live ( Woods/Country area ) and there was a small animal in the bush, and Cheyenne ( Female Huskies name ) darted around behind my wife and looked around her legs like "Oh man, thats scary, YOU go first" She is very smart though, and you can tell shes always thinking. She was a REAL handful when she was younger, a real escape artist.

Our Male Husky, Kodi, would rather curl up in your lap and be a puppy than anything. Hes absolutely gorgeous, but dumber than a box of rocks. Partially because of a medical issue that happened when he was a puppy, that has left him pretty much a perpetual puppy. Hes my lil ( 65lbs little ) boy though. Loves being held in my lap... hahaha

Our mix, Wylie, she has got to be one of the most agile dogs I have ever seen. When all 3 run around, she will be tearing along as fast as the other two, turn on a dime and go 90 degrees to her original path. The other two cant even keep up when she starts changing directions like that. I have thought about agility training for her, but regrettably I just do not have the time for that. Shes also what I would call "street smart". She seems to pick up on stuff very quickly, and is super eager to please. Has a HUGE bark, way bigger than her size, which helps deter intruders I am sure.

Love my doggies. My kittehz too though
All of my animals are real interesting. hahaha

Danno

PS: If ya wanna meet em sometime Domo, you are more than welcome too. Since we are pretty close distance wise.
edit on 11/3/2011 by MoparDanno because: Hukd on foniks werked 4 me! Now I kan reed gud!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I own a Scottish Terrier, and we like to faux brag that Forbes stated it was the best warchdog pricewise, but you want a dog you can train. Scotties are stubborn, and you need a good fence.
May I reccomend a boxer?
Good, trainable dog that doesn't take to intruders well

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by Domo1
I'm leaning towards a Doberman.

I'll never own a doberman or pit bull for that reason. They are bred to be guard dogs, not pets.

This is all kinds of wrong, pits are amazing companions and will do whatever you train and teach them to do..
Apparently the stigma behind the breed has gotten to you. Pit's are highly intelligent and look to you for guidance. Yet they aren't high maintenance necessarily, you do have to feed them quite a bit though.

My pit will do anything that I teach him. Anything.
He has a big noggin but also a big brain and has never bitten anyone, ever...
Yet the hilarious part is smaller "yippy" dogs have attacked HIM, and hung off his ear.. while he stood there and took it because I was calm and didn't overreact. My pit was just looking up at me with a Jack Russel hanging from his face.
This type of thing has happened several times, sometimes other (usually small) dogs go wild around him and he's cool as a cucumber.
He also lives in close proximity to 2 old mean cats that don't tolerate any nonsense.
He's a role model pit, and my best buddy. Travels everywhere with me. Very good co-pilot =D

It's all about how you train them and desensitize them to situations. They will do whatever you want them to. Just takes practice.

And I didn't have him neutered, that's the easy and ignorant way to "quell" your dog. Totally unnecessary. Just keep a good eye on him and practice "leader of the pack" by taking him on short leashed walks often.

This goes with most dog breeds though.
My .02, GL to you and finding a new buddy!

The cool thing about pits is that they are considered large dogs, yet they are not loppy at all, very agile, don't have drooling issues (typically). They are an all around amazing companion.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

DON'T get a Chow or Chow mix. I had one, loved her but I couldn't trust her around other kids, adults or animals. Even though your insurance company has no dog restrictions at this time, they are constantly changing and updating. It just isn't worth the stress of having a dog that is aggressive. My Chow mix was agressive even at 3 months of age. Chows are extremely protective and jealous. I compare them to a bear. I took my 5 y/o daughter to the beach along with the dog. I was about 20 feet away from my daughter, we were running and playing. A man happened to walk in between us and Sadie (the dog) went after him. I could fill up the board with problems with that dog. I was continually trying to "socialize" her becaue I didn't want to give up on her. She got better but still had episodes of surprises, fortunately, nothing serious happened but I was definitely on my toes continuously in "mixed" company. Sometimes problems arose due to other persons idiocy but whatever, she was untrustworthy. In our sue happy nation and with so many other breeds out there, it just is NOT worth it.

Just wanted to note: there is a big difference between protective and aggressive. Of course there are exceptions,but look at the dog breed as a whole. It'll weed out a lot of "no ways"
edit on 3-11-2011 by Gridrebel because:

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join