It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibalism during a SHTF scenario - would you eat or die?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

If you are willing to eat human flesh then you would be willing to eat bugs... bugs are more abundant that humans so I fail to see how this would even happen.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by yaluk
reply to post by br0ker

If you are willing to eat human flesh then you would be willing to eat bugs... bugs are more abundant that humans so I fail to see how this would even happen.

Same for wild edibles and birds.

There is abundance, but most ppl still buy the false scarcity paradigm.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I did consider aquaponics into the post where you so gracefully replied: Why not add aquaponics into the picture?

Hehe..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I would eat the rich without hesitation, preferably the thigh and leg meat as well as rib meat but would throw away the rest. I have heard that human flesh is somewhat like pork... no joking.

Bon Appetite

edit on 1-11-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Eat and hope there isn't any food poisoning

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
reply to post by br0ker

I don't know a single person IRL who has ever been even close to a situation where they would have to make that call.

People starve to death every single day in Africa - thousands, apparently - and never become cannibals. So I'm guessing it's against our nature to do so. Would you watch your child starve to death if cannibalism was a viable option for you?

Actually it happens much more often then you think, it is just such a taboo subject that people do not want to acknowledge it. Cannibalism occurs in the wild kingdom often and since we act like animals as a species "yes we do" the apple does not fall for from the tree.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

??? There is more than enough. We're not doing it right.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Well, like the other guy up here said, one guy grew a million lbs on 3 acres something using aqua+hydro ponics.

The biggest problem with those methods is that the million lbs is low calorie food. Mostly water. The real high calorie food gets grown from land. Corn, wheat and rice primarily. But they do grow enough on the int. space station with hydroponics to somewhat feed them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Good thing we have a veggie alternative.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yaluk
reply to post by br0ker

Yeees, but we are also a lot bigger then bugs and require more sustenance to function. But ok... let`s start with the bees first. Those are tasty.. let`s all 7bln of us much them down. heheh
oh.. slight problem with the bees though

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Survive at all costs....that's my philosophy.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

Only as a last resort would cannibalism be acceptable. There are a lot of particulars, those without the experience or training to cultivate other forms of food would fall subject to cannibalism. In a true SHTF scenario any military trained person would not go lone wolf, and would band people together in a true numbers situation (2 is better than 1, 3 better than 2....etc...) The inexperienced person would probably starve, or seek out those with the where with all to survive. So it isn't ideal, but completely plausible.

29INFDIV

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This is one of those hypothetical questions that cannot truly be answered until it happens. Some missing the point by trying to logically explain it with the consumption of bugs and other natural sources that are abundant when a question like this usually inquires to "only option" such as post nuclear or something were radiation is a factor and living things including plants and bugs are just as hard to come by as other humans. Unless you know what true starvation and dehydration feels like mixed in with all the other factors then your answers are only speculation.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

State-engineered Ukranian Famine, Leningrad 900 day blockade, these are examples of the extreme conditions that provoke cannibalism.

Some use flesh to feed their children, other eat their own children. Kids go missing, dead bodies go unregistered.

But, surprisingly, cannibalism is relatively rare. Associated with the complete breakdown of moral and gender rolls. Most people choose to maintain their dignity rather then resort to cannibalism.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'd eat people. I don't think I'd even feel bad about it. Just don't eat their brains, thoroughly cook them, and avoid any of the primary organs.

No I really don't think I would feel bad about it.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Your a total idiot..(to the OP).

Are you not able to catch frogs? go fishing? shell fishing for zebra clams? Do you hate vegetation? What is wrong with eating beaver? What is wrong with eating squirrel or rabbit, or anything that is fresh roadkill? This thread is a pollution of the mind. I can't even believe the amount of post's this thread has obtained.....

The only reasonable excuse to eat a human is when you may die due to starvation .
edit on 2-11-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Until population goes way down and people are able to sustain themselves i believe this is a real issue.
reply to post by br0ker

This is not an issue. Plenty of food to go around. It is not shipped to where it is needed most.

That aside, I would eat any of you. I would prefer to not have to club you before I cook you up though. So, uh, just die, freeze, or jump in the pot.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
Your a total idiot..(to the OP).

Are you not able to catch frogs? go fishing? shell fishing for zebra clams? Do you hate vegetation? What is wrong with eating beaver? What is wrong with eating squirrel or rabbit, or anything that is fresh roadkill? This thread is a pollution of the mind. I can't even believe the amount of post's this thread has obtained.....

The only reasonable excuse to eat a human is when you may die due to starvation .
edit on 2-11-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

if reincarnation is real please come back as a beaver

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

Good question OP. However, I am sure I would prefer to eat bugs, plants, pets, etc. Humans carry way to many diseases. Imagine chomping down on a rarely or tartar cooked HIV body.

Or how about a Hep A,B,C, person? Not sounding too edible to me.

Healthy human fat tissue just sounds unappetizing. Few humans have meat on their bones. The WWF folks might be like a great fat chicken breast, yet women would be like eating a chicken thigh. No meat.

Humans are simply not all that meaty and can barely imagine them tasty. Can anyone say " Jeffrey Dahmer"?

No thanx, I will shoot myself in the head before starving or even entertaining the idea of eating another human being. OR MY PETS!

Guess I am the weakest link. Goodbye! LOL

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
No, consuming another human at the expense of their life, to fulfil your needs is wrong.
Even if you don't pay for it physically, mentally and in the future you will get "pwnt" so to speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join