It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All things Pagan. A Druid's guide.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks for the link. I simply love reading about old lore.

Another fascinating story is about the Tuatha De Danaan. Wiki

The Tuatha Dé Danann (which means the people of Danu) arrived in Ireland bearing with them their stone of destiny called the Lia Fail which they placed on the mound of Tara and ever after the rightful kings of Ireland were chosen when it called out. They also brought the spear of Lugh which ensured victory to whoever wielded it, The Sword of Nuada from whom none could escape and the Cauldron of the Dagda from which none would go unsatisfied.
There is a story that they came to Ireland in flying ships but could not land as the Fomorians had set up a great energy field that they could not penetrate. So they had to circle Ireland nine times before finding a breach in the energy field and setting down on Sliabh an Iarainn (The Iron Mountains) in Co. Leitrim.
(source)

How much of mythology is based in fact?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildoracle13

Hi there wild, thanks for posting! It seems many of us are "solitaries".

Hehe, yesterday was Samhain, the perfect time to be consecrated. Congrats on having found your path 13 years ago.

Please feel free to share anything Pagan related with us....With your experience, I'm sure you have a lot to share. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I have an athame. Its purpose is the same as the wand. To direct power. It can be used to call things to you or banish things from you.
edit on 1-11-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Shouldnt that be Besome. For the broom? I call my Bessie. Your athame does not look like it is a double blade. An athame is a double blade, in that it is sharp on both edges like a sword.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

mine in the same room as i do my daily yoga.
Someday i'll have a dedicated sacred space. for the moment i make due with a bedroom.

when i move, my alter goes first.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by KhaliWitch

Just pointing out, you may know this, but the Wiccan Rede is not a law, and it's not advice that all Pagans follow.

For instance, I do not follow it, nor do I believe in the Threefold Law.

'An it harm none, do as ye will' does not restrict you from doing something that could harm someone- it's just saying that, if it doesn't harm anyone, do what your true self wishes to do. That's not the same as forbidding you from doing harm. That is left totally up to your discretion.

Blessed be,
I am aware of this, but I have chosen to adhere to the literal meanings as I find that more fulfilling for me. Have I explained that well enough for you? If not, please say so and I will try and explain my reasons further.

Namasté

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Druids were Celtic and Runes are Germanic, Celts and Druids utilized Ogham which is similar to Runes. The Germanics, Norse, Germans, Danes, and Swedes utilized Runes.

And weren't those written on leaves that were strung out to make a message? They were written on leaves so that when the leaves decomposed there were no traces of any messages left. As far as I know the druids left no written history of any kind. They did so to preserve their secrets.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Thats very sweet, Ama. i wish more humans felt that way: our earth might be a bit less ravaged...

as for myself, my altar is a collection of items that were important or discovered at various times in my life. When i regard them i am filled with those moments, so the tending, growth and change of my alter is a reflection of the memories and experiences i hold dear: that support me as i traverse a mostly insane world.

It's also where i charge the medalions i make.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here is my one and only permanent body symbol in honor of my beliefs.....it keeps me grounded.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by KhaliWitch

Greetings KhaliWitch, I have been reading you, and I am impressed at your strength and perseverance in the face of opposition. I am a Wiccan of many years, many Traditions incorporated into my Traditional Ways. I began in the Golden Dawn Hermetic Teachings, and incorporated Egyptian ways and practices, my Paternal Great, Great Grandmother was a Gypsy, from Egypt, and her line goes way back. I am also part Native American, so some of their ways came into vogue too. What came out is a distinct being with distinct ways and practices, and that is how it is supposed to be, to my mind. Any "group" that think alike, acts alike, dresses alike, talks alike, or believe the same is a cult. I do not believe in belonging to any Covens, Covens are for the weak. My family is my Coven.

Blessed be and many thanks for your kind words,
I too do not belong to a Covent as I believe that The Craft is a personal matter, to be experienced and practised in a personal way and not dictated by a group.
I do find your Ways and Traditions simply Fascinating, would you care to explain to me how you came to incorporate so many varying Ways in to your Traditions?

Namasté

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

One of my favorites is a simple spell.
Rain Rain go away.
Come again another day
Little Mary wants to play.

It states its intent. Rain rain go away
It gives the energy a new focus.
Come again another day.
And it gives the reason for the spell.
Little Mary wants to play.

Most do not realize that this is a spell to change the weather.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Blessed be, brother ....
That is all that I wanted to say

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

But since you went there, would you mind telling us the three most important concepts that Jesus talked about during his life?

this is not my argument and i have no wish to engage with rigid thinkers (and so will not reply to jesussaves), but your question spoke to me and i wish to share:

Jesus discovered Gaia. He called it the "Holy Ghost". Said it connected everybody, including non Jews.

they killed him for that. Read "Lamb" by Christopher Moore: a profound (and hilarious) fictional story of the life of Jesus. it wasn't till after i read it that i understood...

The catholic church is what happens when desperate Romans pervert the ideas of an amazing human for purposes of controlling others.

took me a long time to separate the church from Jesus.
edit on 1-11-2011 by galactix because: worng quote

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

My alter contains a small container of ashes of the only Woman who was ever a real Mother to me. Not my bio-mom...my Spirit Mother. A small statue of Buddha, my crystal ball, and several other small sacred objects. I add items as as the feeling directs....usually involved with the Seasons.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by galactix
Greetings fellow earth dwelling mystics.

It is a great pleasure to read your posts and to know that there others who follow a path of constant learning, tolerance and Earth love. I dream of someday actually living in a community of people such as yourselves, sharing, learning and strengthening our respective paths.

I believe doing that in the context of a school (old world version) would be fabulous...

a little about me:

I came to paganism later in life. After roughly 30 years of hardcore atheism (christianity just seemed silly) and during a particularly difficult period in my life, i discovered the Tarot. The investigation of which has led me places i never knew even existed, starting with a series of intense nightmares. i believe that the true Tarot contains within it all we (humanity) know about ourselves and how we fit into the larger mystical environment... and that it is mostly misunderstood. I hope that after a coupla more decades of observation, learning and thought, i might understand it with some confidence.

Did you know that Astrology first fell out of favor during the European Renaissance. At the time there was a powerful planetary conjunction in Pisces. Most of the resident 'astrologers' predicted massive floods: Pisces is a water sign, right? Well. no floods: obviously.... and so astrology fell. Looking back on that period from the vantage point of 500 years, we can see that the conjunction in Pisces spoke of a powerful creative upwelling (creativity is an aspect of the mystical "water" element). This upwelling expressed itself (among other ways) in the invention of perspective drawing and the creation (in western culture) of "zero" and "infinity" (which eventually led to the Calculus).

curious, no?

i am also a licensed mechanical engineer, inventor, artist and performer..and to people such as yourselves, i call myself a mystical scientist: sort of a modern day Alchemist. i believe that evidence of the mystical can be measured in the physical. Someday, i think i might be able to prove this, but much learning, still, i have to do. In the mean time, i am learning to trust my feelings and observe the world as openly as possible, keeping in mind that many ideas are incorrect, and that truth is always reflected in many places/ways.

Just this year (after 14 more years of life, study, growth and the development of a daily yoga/prayer practice - i call Gaia my God) i experienced something truly amazing and profound (to me).

Let me start by saying that i adhere to the idea that the path to personal growth lies along the avenues of fear.... that it is in the facing of one's fears that discovery and growth happen and true balance can be achieved. The old school Pagan teachings (in all their various colors and flavors) give us a context to place this balance within.

So, in January of this year i accidentally entered the flow of Gaia's mind, and that experience has changed me forever. i am still discovering the ways in which i have changed. I have not the space in this post to share that story completely, but will take the time if others express curiosity.

The short of it, is that for two weeks, i could tell what every human around me was feeling, could respond to their true meaning rather than simply the words spoken. For two weeks, the quality of my thinking was changed and i could understand and visualize amazing ideas. For two weeks i had the patience of a Jedi coupled with a readiness for action that amazed me.

i miss the patience the most.

Anyway, during that period, fell in love with Gaia...and i really have no idea where that will take me, but i follow that path gladly.

... sometime with a bit more confusion and doubt than is comfortable...

and it is increasingly difficult to participate in this fabricated cold mechanical logical world we have confined ourselves to.

seeing your words gives me hope

Blessed be,
As a follower of Gaïa I understand what you mean and it is easily found again through meditation and visualization. It is indeed most wonderful and serene to enter the flow of Gaïa is ti not!?

Namasté

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

Blessed be Galactix,
My home is my Altar and no Negativity is Permitted to Enter my Home.
Smudge hangs above the doors, Amulets are on the thresholds of all doors and windows, Runes are also on the thresholds of all windows and doors.
Prayers for Barriers against Negativity are said weekly and crystals and water are placed throughout my Home.

I hope this was helpful!?

Namasté

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

My garden is my alter. I have a permenant circle ( that is a round patio made of brick pavers). I have a small pond and water fall dedicated to my personal water godess. I have topiary trimmed into different shapes which all have a secret meaning only to me and the gods I have dedicated them to. I have a fire pit in the center of my circle. I have an herb knot garden with the herbs planted by their elemental types. No one would know any of this looking at my yard. They just see a pretty garden.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusSaves2008

Right o. And for the most part regarding HIS promises it seems he is of the ilk that its better I owe it to you than I cheat you out of it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You people scare me...

I'm all for Tarot, all for numerology, all for astrology, all for pantheism...

Have a bunch of fun with sacred geometry studies, understanding non-linear fractals and it's implications on an asymmetry world, evolution of consciousness and the science of collective thought, energy grids, scale invariances, invariance principals and conceptual metaphors in understanding the true nature of many texts

Having said this.... I'm all for the Torah, the Qu'ran and New Testament, Theogony of Hesiod, Nun and the Primeval Waters
But that's not to say every single book with in the their respective Canons(that's the most important part IMO)

Some people love to scream Dogma from a mountain top, but that just comes with a lack of understanding in context...

Job 38..
29From whose womb comes the ice?
Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens
30when the waters become hard as stone,
when the surface of the deep is frozen?
31“Can you bind the beautifulc Pleiades?
Can you loose the cords of Orion?
32Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons
or lead out the Beare with its cubs?
33Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Can you set up dominion over the earth?

I just thought I'd throw that in there, for they are my favorite lines out of everything that I have read. Especially Job 38: 31... It kinda ties all my understandings together, especially the numerical application, for that understanding you'd have to be familiar with numerology and then address the progression of the texts and their respective numbers.

Just because people have used these texts through means in which you disagree, I still don't understand the justification of denouncing any of them, or even just picking one to pledge your alliegances to...

To me, it's just a cop out in understanding that it's suppose to be your understanding, and not to be derived from someone elses. If it's your conclusion that one is wrong, it's whatever I suppose. I personally feel they are all correct, and that people just choose to correlate their understanding with other peoples understanding and practices....

I take it back, no body scares me, rather I am just disheartened to see that soo many people have came to many of the conclusions they have, based on what to me, seems to be a misunderstanding...

Am I the only one that thinks this way?
This place is getting kinda lonely lol

BTW check out Alan Watts if you're not familiar
edit on 1-11-2011 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional information

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Not to mention that Satan does not exist outside of Christianity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join