It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland Protester admits bottles were thrown at Police BEFORE police responded

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I've just heard a lot a crap about Oakland, I knew a girl whose family moved to NJ because she got jumped in HS so much that they feared they'd see their daughter dead before High school ended. I only know what I have been told and seen myself (in Philly in some places). And no it is mainly not the hispanics really... but I also know a lot of "black" who are light skinned personally that list themselves even as hispanic too(which would show in the census as them being one thing when they are not), but no I was mainly talking about those are the typical "Violent" ones in the recent years, which have been the blacks, but I am sure they have a lot to be angry about. it's just sometimes they use their anger at the wrong people and one could simply have even been there to make the movement look bad to cause an uproar to shed a bad light on the rest of the movement just because.

I don't know. But, this is Oakland we're talking about. I was told if I ever visit Cali never travel through Oakland at night, and probably not by day either... that was in the 80's too but it still has a very bad rep. And it is one of those Urban Legend places where gangs drove around at night with headlights off and if you flash your lights because they were out then you would be shot by drive by (this was on the news back in the 80's on the east coast)...of course I don't and never have lived in Cali so I am going by what I have heard of the place... and mostly those that started the problems were predominantly black.

And again is not about the black race as a whole, just seems in some localities, Oakland being one, where there is a common hatred towards whites and police, and a propensity to start a lot of nasty stuff. I can't say that they were there or not, I wasn't there but who knows? May have been just what I said someone from that kind of mind set there just to start problems.

link   
reply to post by mishigas

Do you have any evidence that the canister was deliberately aimed at that guy's head? That the cops were trying to intentionally harm him?
I don't, but that doesn't justify it. The force was completely unnecessary IMO. Even going in with batons would have had me arguing about it on the internet, but using tear gas, flash grenades, and rubber bullets against protesters who are not armed with anything more than bottles is cowardly.

Speaking of cops intentionally trying to harm unarmed protesters, have you seen this video?

edit on 29-10-2011 by TupacShakur because: :clwldnc:

link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Well. I disagree with that.

My experience with the Tea Party was vastly different than what you described.

When you show up, are peaceful, and clean up after yourself people tend to view you more favorably, especially when they wear a badge.

When you show up, rush police lines, and threaten cops, they tend to look at you with less favor.

I've been on both ends of this.

I've participated in some pretty....Not so nice protests with some of my old political acquaintances. I know what goes on. Taking on the cops is just part of the fun for many of these people.

I will say that i have learned to take each OWS location individually.

While some on the coasts, where more of the radical elements exist, they have been more violent an confrontation with the police has been all but unavoidable.

Here in NV we haven't had ANY problems. Same with many of the southern and midwestern states.

Maybe it's just a coastal thing?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

if I had a nickel for every time I've seen some lump of feces lay claim to a uniform they've never worn online, the OWS would be protesting in my front yard.

My usual response to "I'm a marine" on a messageboard is to go "Yeah, and I'm an ex-astronaut who sleeps with seven supermodels a day, at least not when wrestling dinosaurs!"

I figure, hey, if you're going to have a testosterone fantasy, go all the way, right?

Ver ver funy.
But there is at least one of them who has bragged on his markmanship medals since he became a member. And he's a main rabble rouser.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I don't think being black is the issue.

But if you know much about how the police in Oakland treat black people you'd know that it isn't without merit that they lash out at cops.

Look up the story of Oscar Grant and what happened to him, and the officer who murdered him, and how the bastard got a way with it.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Then I think we're going to have to disagree.

Leftist protestors respond poorly to the cops because of a history of cops attempting to murder leftists.

Conservative... uh, "protestors" tend to favor cops... because the cops have a history of trying to murder leftists.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I've explained this a few times. Think of it this way.

Say you're in a really small town. Everyone there has grown up together, and you just moved in. One of the locals takes a dislike to you. even to the point where he smashes your mailbox, sits across the street staring at your house with a rifle in his lap, and making threatening phone calls against your kids. You go to the police... and end up getting fined for "harassment of a police officer." Turns out the chief of police is this asshole's brother, the other cops are his cousins, the judge is his father-in-law... basically you're screwed because everyone in the system is wrapped up in this guy.

This is sort of like what the tea party has going. They got "free passes" because they tended to reflect the sentiments of the police - Police unions are some of the biggest anti-democratic unions out there, for one. The tea party wasn't tipping any apple cards( sic ), either - they were staunchly in favor of corporate influence and power (just look at the people they elected.)

I'm sure that if police had been as eager to violate the rights of tea partiers as they are to violate the rights of OWS, there would have been plenty more violence to be had. But somehow, police never ignored legal permits. They never kettled the teabaggers. They just sort of always looked the other way and let them do whatever. If they did the same with OWS, I'm sure there'd be the same general lack of incident.

It's kind of like you're making the argument "Well, if the police are giving you a hard time, it MUST be because you're a criminal and deserve it."

This is so wrong on so many levels that it would take me 10 minutes to respond to all of it. But start off with this paragraph:

This is sort of like what the tea party has going. They got "free passes" because they tended to reflect the sentiments of the police - Police unions are some of the biggest anti-democratic unions out there, for one. The tea party wasn't tipping any apple cards (sic), either - they were staunchly in favor of corporate influence and power (just look at the people they elected.)

To accept that premise as true would be to deny reason and reality.
edit on 29-10-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Guess people forgotten about this:

Quincy Tea Party members wanted President Barack Obama to know they were present Wednesday afternoon during his appearance in Quincy.

There were a few tense moments when the crowd moved west down York toward Third Street after the president’s motorcade arrived. A Secret Service agent asked the crowd to move back across the street to the north side

dailycaller.com...

Yep that's right the SWAT Team got called out on those evil rowdy Tea Party protester's but what this?

Seen anything thrown? Any arrests made? clear differences between OWS and TPM and the only reason SWAT got called out was because of the fearless leader.

edit on 29-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I'm not sure I agree with that characterization.

Cops have shot and killed many people of many different political affiliations.

Many justified, many...not so much.

I don't respect the police because they "kill leftists" I respect the police because they arrest the jerk who steals my car, and they help clean up the mess when I blow away a burglar.

I respect them because the sheriff has driven my wife home after work several times. They have offered me rides in stormy weather, they have been there when my place of business was vandalized or when I needed to remove a disruptive individual.

I think that sort of generalization of what police do is simply political ideology taking precedence over common sense.
edit on 29-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Wow, that is horrible...
I just think any major city Chicago NY Oakland LA is going to be where the problems are...the people don't even get along amongst themselves it is impossible for them to stand together IMHO, too much racial tensions, apparently on both sides.

This is why nothing will ever work. it doesn't matter, too much devisiveness and that is the main cause of the violent outbursts half the time, no probably all of the time. The total lack to see that every single person is their own being and individual and not to throw the anger at them just because they are similar looking to someone who once did such and such to the person. (hmm i can think of a few instances of that including Muslims) In most eyes of a lot of black people I have personally dealt with, a lot of them think that government is white = all white people are rotten and they are angry at us (they were raised in that just as it is vice versa too) and such, I have actually been told this by a supervisor at a job I had and a couple of others in the passing years (yes I left that job!) seriously, I am not immune either, But I will actually get to know a person, I may have a "pre-concieved" notion of someone, but I will actually rationalize in my head "now, you know they are an individual..." and actually get to know the person first, even my stupid ass supervisor... I would try to understand her (but then I finally decided she's an Ass) lol but I really never meant to come off as a jerk... honestly. And I don't hate anyone as a group,...I only hate individuals, who give me good reason.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

lol but I really never meant to come off as a jerk... honestly. And I don't hate anyone as a group,...I only hate individuals, who give me good reason.

I take your word on that.

Demographics is not a root cause of criminal activity. Lack of education, poor economic opportunity, and a state that infringes on the rights of the law abiding is what causes crimes.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

The gas canister that hit him in the head could have been a misfire. That's why we have investigations. But I will agree with the video -- that cop was wrong and will be disciplined.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yeah well i don't support stupid people or stupid actions throwing things and atagonizing the police there is only but one outcome and for any to sit there and expect the police to just stand there and take whatever they literally threw at them.

I side with the police they respond to their instigations good luck getting cop haters ever seeing that tho.

Side without that government and those lazy union thug cops Neo

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yep that's right the SWAT Team got called out on those evil rowdy Tea Party protester's but what this?
Yes, your point was illustrated by the statistic which was posted on the front page. But thank you for reiterating that point. Who ever said they were "evil" and "rowdy"?

From the occupykc rally on the 15th. Nothing was thrown at the cops, and none of the cops tried to kick us out

clear differences between OWS and TPM and the only reason SWAT got called out was because of the fearless leader.
Ron Paul?

link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Yeah i seen a limousine liberal hide behind those union thugs.

Have a point?

link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm all for the Tea Party, but at one event a handful of cops show up for two minutes and walk away...

...while cops are looking to hurt people at the OWS...

edit on 29-10-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Strawman since we are talking about occupy oakland.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

The gas canister that hit him in the head could have been a misfire.
Could have been a misfire? You're joking, right?

That's why we have investigations.
More like that's why idiotic cops who aren't capable of handling a weapon without nearly killing an unarmed civilian should get fired.....

But I will agree with the video -- that cop was wrong and will be disciplined.
Right...let me know when that hoppens. But the oakland police chief resigned, so it's good that somebody was punished.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

Yeah well tell me how anyone can judge intent from a video?

Weren't there were you?
Did you see the events unfold with your own two eyes?

Or just take hearsay as evidence and convicting out of a sense of hatred for the Police?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Strawman since we are talking about occupy oakland.
Fair enough, but I just had that picture and felt that it was appropriate. Plus, I'm sure you can tell by now how much I love talking about occupy kc

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join