It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could someone help me with my 1997 dodge dakota problem?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hello, i have a 1997 dodge dakota with a v6, 3.9L engine. I have had the truck for a few years. Recently it started its problem that bothers me. The truck runs fine when i first crank it up but when it gets a little warm, the oil pressure gauge will go down and the truck loses power. The truck also shakes when this happens. The exhaust also sounds differently. Does anyone happen to know how i could fix this problem?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Maybe you have a bad sensor somewhere.
Or a part failure. Oil pump maybe? I don't know.
Don't drive the car if the oil pressure is low.

Try to get the codes from your truck
Codes.

How to get the codes on a 1997 Dakota: Put the key in your ignition and turn it to the "on" position three times. (Insert key, on, off, on, off, on). Leave it in the on position. The first trouble code will be displayed on your digital LED odometer. Quickly cycle the key again (off, on) to display the next code, and just keep cycling the key to get the remainder of the codes.

I think AutoZone will check the codes for free. Call before you go.

If a code is returned you can lookup the codes in Google. Hopefully this will help you out.

edit on 27-10-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well sir you have a blown head gasket or a cracked block and when your engine warms up the seals loosen and you loose compression in your engine.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
sounds like your piston rings are blown. when the engine is warm your cylinder expand and your rings can't seal properly. do you have black smoke coming out of your tailpipe?

getting another car would be cheaper than rebuilding your engine.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

No theres no smoke at all.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

Those trucks were notorious for intake manifold problems. I would start there.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Take it to an auto parts store that offers free code scans. It could be anything from a sensor to blown gaskets. Or a simple computer glitch. That would be the easiest way to determine what the problem is
Good Luck!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

I have a machine that tells me the codes and what they are but it only says the oxygen sensor. I do not think the oxygen sensor is why the oil pressure gauge is going down. I have pretty much put new parts on the entire truck.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

O2 sensors don't really cost that much, and if it is a car with more than one it CAN affect oil pressure. Have you lost any oil at all, water in the oil, any of that stuff?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

No, i have not lost any oil. There is no leaks. There is no smoke. When i am driving down the road at normal speed, the oil pressure does go up but when i am stopped, it goes back down below where it is supposed to be.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Like everyone else said...take it to a parts store and have it scanned (they do it for free). Start small...check your oil. Having too much oil in the vehicle will cause those symptoms. Too much oil will turn it into a mayonnaise like substance in the crankcase and cause you to loose pressure. Check your oil...if its too high..drain it all and change it. Might want to change your plugs after too if thats the case. I'd start there if the scan reveals no codes. Most inexpensive route.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Unfortunatley cant really help my fam had 97 dakota it had its issues was gotten rid of...

What I do want to say is its great there is a place where there are so many people out to try and help a stranger. Even though its not my problem thanks to all those with there good advice I am sure one of the responses is your issue.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LrBc1275

I actually tried changing the oil and the spark plugs. I purchased the most expensive oil and spark plugs i could get that would fit for my truck.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

sounds like your piston rings are blown. when the engine is warm your cylinder expand and your rings can't seal properly. do you have black smoke coming out of your tailpipe?

ha i like how this is the only post that got starred (ps. its not your piston rings).
i dont know whats wrong with your backwards american car, it could be alot of things. take it to a local garage(not a dealer).

ps. id recommend trawling google for a decent dodge forum. any car problem ive ever had, ive always found the answer on a car forum.
good luck.
edit on 27-10-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonologist842012
reply to post by LrBc1275

I actually tried changing the oil and the spark plugs. I purchased the most expensive oil and spark plugs i could get that would fit for my truck.

Typical yankee wagons breakin down!
just kidding,if you can obtain a workshop manual for that vehicle it will give you sensor locations,check tightness,condition of connector (rust or grime can cause poor conductivity and play havoc with sensors),if you can do a resistance check across the connection between sensor and plug then check for continuity at the ecu with the aforementioned sensors...Dont know what "home mechanic" manuals are available in the states (in the UK we have haynes manuals,great for home mechanics) but with basic tools,the correct technical data and patience these electrical gremlins can esily be fixed!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
when you say "losing power" is the engine turning off or idling rougher?? It is normal for a vehicle to loose SOME oil pressure because oil gets thinner as it gets hotter. I would have your actually pressure checked (go to a mechanic or if you feel comfortable you can do it yourself).

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

If you have anyone you know in the trade,get a mechanic to perform an oil pressure test,this will test if th engine is creating the correct oil pressure and is a good all around test on an engines health when combined with a cylinder leakdown test and then a compression test,if the oil pressure,cylinder leakdown and a compression test show the engine is healthy and has no excessive mechanical wear then this is a faulty sensor/ecu computer fault giving off a false warning,as some engine management systems have a "get me home/safe"mode where if the engine management thinks the engine is in trouble it kill the power and goes into a limp home configuration,perhaps the oil pressure sensor is fooling the ecu into thinking there is a fault therefore triggering the safe mode,how many miles has the vehicle done, and does the engine management warning light come on when this happens?If there is no visaul smoke from the vehicles tailpipe and no knocks/abnormal noises emitting from the engine then it seems like a sensor relaying the wrong info,if the vehicle had been driven excessively with low/no oil pressure it will detonate and suffer a heat seizure within miles!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

ha i like how this is the only post that got starred (ps. its not your piston rings).
i dont know whats wrong with your backwards american car, it could be alot of things. take it to a local garage(not a dealer).

ps. id recommend trawling google for a decent dodge forum. any car problem ive ever had, ive always found the answer on a car forum.
good luck.
edit on 27-10-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

don't hate me cause im beautiful.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Haha,aye a forgot,take off the oil filler cap or dipstick and smell it,if it smells like petrol(Ok gas to you folk) then the petrol/oil mix will be thinner,and the petrol will wash the oil off the cylinder bores causing wear

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
it should be one of a couple of things,if it happens when warm maybe temp sensor but doubtful more likely a gskt. issue. pull spark plugs look for anything funny,wet discoloration ect will usually tell if head gskt issue. most likely somewhere in intake setup.with motor running get a spray can of carb cleaner and make small sprays along the whole intake setup(along mating surfaces of parts) if there is a air leak your motor will change pitch(sound) from where the leak is sucking in the carb cleaner. so try not to let if get into the opening of the intake this will throw off your results of the test. also a intake air leak will cause oxy sensor fault due to too much air in the system. hope this makes sense to you if you have any ?let me know.also when issues start does your idle drop below normal? could low idle cause apperance of low oil pressure? is oil pressure normal before issue starts .and there are some vaccume lines are switched so they are only in use after warm up, this test will also help you find vac, leaks usually p.s.save the auto parts store diagnossis as a last resort keep in mind they are there to sell parts.and if you are lucky enough to find a good parts person (somebody that actually knows about cars not just parts )treat them like a friend because they can be a godsend. easiest way is to find out who owns the baddest car it the parts store parking lot
edit on 27-10-2011 by automata because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join