It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York cops defy order to arrest hundreds of ‘Occupy Albany’ protesters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I found this story pretty interesting, so I know some of you out there would too.

According to the Albany Times Union, New York state troopers and Albany police did not adhere to a curfew crackdown on protesters urged by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and Albany mayor Gerald Jennings. Mass arrests seemed to be in the cards once Jennings directed officers to enforce the curfew on roughly 700 protesters occupying the city owned park. But as state police joined the local cops, protesters moved past the property line dividing city and state land.

One of the first things that struck me here was the fact that a guy like Cuomo was cracking the whip, so much for the tolerant left huh?

With protesters acting peacefully, local and state police agreed that low level arrests could cause a riot, so they decided instead to defy Cuomo and Jennings. “We don’t have those resources, and these people were not causing trouble,” a state official said. “The bottom line is the police know policing, not the governor and not the mayor.”

Wow, the Police "defying" the Governor and the Mayor, that's a biggie! I really can't recall anything like that happening before (though I'm sure it has).
Source:
www.rawstory.com...

For the record I support OWS, I think it's a necessary and just thing that's happening. I feel it's our patriotic duty to stand against what these bankers and their proxies the politicians have done to this country.

Another link to this story:
www.timesunion.com...

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A BIG HAND to BIG men doing the right thing...here's to those po po's!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

That's exactly what I'm talk'in about.

SnF OP

Now it just needs to spread. And the spoiled little rich brats, will be having red faced little tantrums in the street, till Mommy finally gets fed up and smacks, the crap out of 'em. Remember mom, crap splatters when you smack it.

edit on 24-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Outstanding to hear. They've set the precedent and method other officers of good character and intent can follow to avoid following orders that go against the Constitution and absolute RIGHTS of their fellow Americans. Let's pray this is but the first of many to follow. I don't say the cops need join us, but simply standing neutral and staying clear of it entirely is quite enough to allow this to take it's natural course to whatever end is needed here.

Go NY State Police!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

I don't understand why so many people support the OWS movement so strongly. I didn't see any of these people demonizing the banks a few years ago when they were being approved for home loans or auto loans or credit cards or whatever the reason they were borrowing money. Now it's time to pay it back.......too bad, should have thought of that before they signed the contract. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

There are so many of us living way beyond our means, I think it's time to stop the finger pointing.
What is the end game with these protestors? Do they really think these banks are going to just throw up their hands and say 'I give up you win'? Really if the protestors spent as much time looking for a job as they do sitting around in the parks things may improve.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I've seen a SC governor block fedral over toxic waste issues. its been awhile since it happened as in many years but i found this. they actually took state police, blocked the border of said direction of shipment. then made them turn around on the highway!!
www.electricityforum.com...

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

In all honesty I'm at a loss as to why some people are so vehemently opposed to it. You're right, people should and do have to take responsibility for their actions, and that should also include banks. I know no one is going to bail me out, especially a bank, but my tax dollars go to bail them out?
As far as the protesters getting a job, I think they're doing a damn fine job doing exactly what they're doing.
One more thing, I've always thought banks were crooked, and I have tried to avoid them as much as one possibly can.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

I know it sounds like I'm defending the banks, I'm not but what was the alternative to bailing them out let the economy collapse? Fall into a second great depression?

The main problem I have with the protestors is that I don't see them accomplishing anything. Oh a few people will pull their money out of the big banks and do what put it into a smaller bank which will in turn become a ....... do I need to say it? Even the protestors should be able to follow this train of thought.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
That is great news. Shows some cops can actually use judgment, and apply critical thinking to the scenario/situation.

What this also does, is makes many other cops in other cities look like idiots. Nothing wrong with apply a little common sense every now and then. You don't need to enforce illegal laws, given we all have the right to peacefully protest, or waste precious resources in a down economy, on arresting 700+ people, who are not a threat in any way.

Of course some protesters get out of hand. Of course some are just there to evoke a response from the cops. I have no problem with the trouble makers getting arrested.

The problems occur when cops simply make sweeping arrests, which usually turns ugly, and then some innocent bystander gets a baton in the head. I also think, during their "off hours", many cops are probably having some pretty interesting conversations with family and friends.

Friend of cops aren't usually wealthy, Neither are family members. I bet many cops have friends and/or family who are out protesting, given they too are part of the 99%. All I hope is that cops in other cities take a look at this. Here in SF they showed up in riot gear, at a peaceful protest which had the full support of the mayor, and started intimidating and pushing protesters of all kinds.

The cops caused a peaceful scene to become much worse. Leave peaceful protesters alone. Don't incite them.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix
reply to post by jlv70

I know it sounds like I'm defending the banks, I'm not but what was the alternative to bailing them out let the economy collapse? Fall into a second great depression?

The main problem I have with the protestors is that I don't see them accomplishing anything. Oh a few people will pull their money out of the big banks and do what put it into a smaller bank which will in turn become a ....... do I need to say it? Even the protestors should be able to follow this train of thought.

Yes, as a matter of fact, they should have let the system crash. It might still have been recoverable several trillion dollars of debt ago. That is probably doubtful in a true analysis, but we'll never know either way because they didn't let nature takes it's course. Now, everything will crash ANYWAY but so much harder this time than it really had to.

If they somehow work magic one last time and delay it again, the crash will be yet WORSE when it happens a bit further into the future. Simple 3rd grade math shows the crash MUST come and there is 0% chance of avoiding it over time, though. 16 Trillion on compounding interest and..climbing for years into the future...simply has no other outcome.

Occupy isn't about immediate change right now. You're right. At current numbers, true change is absurd to expect. However, the planning isn't for weeks, but months. Loss of one location will just get higher numbers at a new location. We'll see how this is taken months from now, and the addition of cities continues. It's a numbers game, pure and simple. When the numbers reach the tipping point, change becomes inevitable rather than unlikely as you note now.

If change were easy, we wouldn't have reached this point of crisis to begin with. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The only reason there is a movement is because it is being covered. If a bunch of people stand in the street with signs in my town, I assume they're bums. If I turn on the television, they're not some sort of mass savior that is going to pull me kicking and screaming from the lies that have been fed to me by ... the people that loaned out crappy loans to make money?

What's the revelation here, I'm missing it. All I can see is that people were had because they were lazy, and now they want to know what happened to their country. Guess what, it's gone and it is only a memory now.

Protest all you want, you're a member of the controlled opposition. Keep that TV running baby.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well said. They should have let them crashed, but when the bail-out board is comprised of bank chairmen and ceo's then it's never going to happen.

We're about to see the mother of all recessions in due time. One that will make the Great Depression look like child's play. With BOA and JP Morgon transferring all those derivatives into the Fed for FDIC protection, we're in for one hell of a crash.

BOA moved 75 trillion and JP moved 79 trillion.

National Debt 15 trillion.

How in the hell are we suppose to back up those two banks when they have more money then we have debt? This has all the key elements of a super horror story.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

The article says they were trying to avoid a riot. Did you take that to mean the cops are supportive of OWS? So, as long as the cops are "against" OWS they are "pigs" but when they seem to side with the OWS suddenly they are Big Men...interesting. At what point are they just doing their duty as "the right thing"?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Hehe and on the front page of my local paper, it shows up to 50 people who were physically handed notifications that they are excluded from any CHOGM zones in perth, meaning if they are caught theyre for any reason, even working, they will be arrested.

We dont stuff around here in sleep old perth.. get the queen in, there are no protests.. the pigs are at your door at 6am telling you if you so much as enter the city, you're going to be arrested and jailed.

And there are occupy perth protests planned... expect the worst here guys and gals, especially with old queeny sitting fluffy in her pink dress and fancy hat...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I don't know if the cops are in support of OWS or not, I'm not a mind reader. I do know what the First Amendment to the Constitution says about peaceable assembly.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

What is the end game with these protestors? Do they really think these banks are going to just throw up their hands and say 'I give up you win'? Really if the protestors spent as much time looking for a job as they do sitting around in the parks things may improve.

If you spent more time educating yourself instead of repeating Fox news talking points, you'd see how stupid you just came off with that statement. That type of stupidity worked a few weeks ago, not now, it's either dishonesty on your part or willful ignorance.

core reason for OWS is tax fraud by the 1% while the 99% pay off their share and that of the 1%. guess what? You are part of the 99%.

Unless you are a CEO of a company that plays the tax code like a harp, YOU are the 99%. Unless you have a government lobbyist in Washington wining and dining the politicians who make the decisions, YOU are part of the 99%.

Wake up, spit out that donut, and look around you. Why should you pay high taxes while others who make more don't? Why should tax dollars be given away to the banks to protect them from THEIR bad investments, instead of repairing roads, building schools, and providing the government services those taxes are supposed to pay for?
edit on 25-10-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This one time about 10 year ago I was stopped by NYSP for going 19 over. Anyway its normal traffic stop then he smells a funny smell, so I was like yeah its in the back. Heres where it gets interesting he takes the bag opens it, smells it, puts about half into a thermos then tells me "get a thermos they lock in the smell". Then he walked away without issuing me a ticket. I love the NY state police!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kellerphoenix
reply to post by jlv70

I don't understand why so many people support the OWS movement so strongly. I didn't see any of these people demonizing the banks a few years ago when they were being approved for home loans or auto loans or credit cards or whatever the reason they were borrowing money. Now it's time to pay it back.......too bad, should have thought of that before they signed the contract. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

What about the people at the banks that got bailed out? where is their responsibility?

the banks did not give the loans 'IN GOOD FAITH'..you might want to educate yourself on that little phrase and its implications..

When a bank loans to someone, illegally..keyword...illegally ...as in breaks the law....doesn't enter them into MERS system, then once again..illegally splits up the deed, then bets AGAINST them, hoping the loans will faulter in order to further profit. who wins??

or, the corporations who give the loans, then restricts funds for the businesses where home buyer works..causes business to 'cut back' they have GAMED THE SYSTEM...

edit on 25-10-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's refreshing to see that the police are beginning to remember that their oath was to serve the people, not elected officials.
Cops are people with brains and can make their own decisions. Some make right ones and some make wrong ones, but the cops in the Op are sending a message to cops in other areas that protecting the people is always at the top of the list. Acting like a programmed robot is not in a police officer's job description.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

what did you have in the back?

sorry about that 1 liner but it caught my interest and i just have to know what was in it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join