It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting over Money within the Occupy movement!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It seems that the fragile foundation of OWS is beginning to crumble under its own weight. Why you ask? MONEY!! Go figure

Occupy Wall Street’s Finance Committee has nearly $500,000 in the bank, and donations continue to pour in -- but its reluctance to share the wealth with other protesters is fraying tempers.

Some drummers -- incensed they got no money to replace or safeguard their drums after a midnight vandal destroyed their instruments Wednesday -- are threatening to splinter off.

“F--k Finance. I hope Mayor Bloomberg gets an injunction and demands to see the movement’s books. We need to know how much money we really have and where it’s going,” said a frustrated Bryan Smith, 45, who joined OWS in Lower Manhattan nearly three weeks ago from Los Angeles, where he works in TV production.

Why would such a movement so opposed to bankers and business actually keep a financial ledger??

Funny, they even have paperwork. Damn greedy bastards

Smith is a member of the Comfort Working Group -- one of about 30 small collectives that have sprung up within OWS. The Comfort group is charged with finding out what basic necessities campers need, like thermal underwear, and then raising money by soliciting donations on the street.

“The other day, I took in $2,000. I kept $650 for my group, and gave the rest to Finance. Then I went to them with a request -- so many people need things, and they should not be going without basic comfort items -- and I was told to fill out paperwork. Paperwork! Are they the government now?” Smith fumed, even as he cajoled the passing crowd for more cash.

I have heard some within movement say they don't need money or that money/currency should be abolished. Well, money talks and BS walks

The Finance Committee dives on whatever dollars are raised by all the OWS working groups, said Smith, and doesn’t give it back.

The Comfort group has an allowance of $150 a day, while larger working groups, like the Kitchen group, get up to $2,000.

“What can I do with $150?” said Smith. “We have three tons of wet laundry here from the rainstorm -- how do I get that done? We need winter gear, shoes, socks. I could spend $10,000 alone for backpacks people need. We raise all this money. Where is it?”

Let the infighting begin. Fatigue, improper nutrition, poor living conditions, greed and poor sanitation. Sounds like the collapse of an ancient civilization.

I thought OWS was supposed be simple, no leaders, no message. Reality is checking in!!

“I think it’s getting too spread out,” said John Glowa, 57. “My sense from where I live is that it’s losing steam. We gotta plug the holes.”
and losing interest
www.nypost.com...
edit on 23-10-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

why cannot people take care of thier own personal admin ?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I hate to troll this but I just love seeing the irony in all of this. Oh money, you really DO rule the world.

edit on 23-10-2011 by Absco because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

What they should do is incorporate themselves- oops!

The ideology of youth and the easily led. A fitting end to a failed movement.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

“The other day, I took in $2,000. I kept $650 for my group, and gave the rest to Finance. Then I went to them with a request -- so many people need things, and they should not be going without basic comfort items -- and I was told to fill out paperwork. Paperwork! Are they the government now?” Smith fumed, even as he cajoled the passing crowd for more cash.

What would you expect without leadership and no direction?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
They have a need to do their members laundry?! Are you kidding me? If you take up the time to protest, get your own Fn gear and do your own Fn laundry.

This is just insane. GD hipocrites.....even the OWS movement is looking for handouts.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Of course this is what the media will focus on now... trying to tear people apart. Seems to be working too; that's how weak people are I guess.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm not really understanding what they need money for? Are they putting ads on the TV and radio? Are they hiring lobbying groups to try and instate real change? Is there any legitimate reason they need money?

If the protesters are getting free food, laundry service, backpacks, clothing, etc, they loose a lot of legitimacy in my opinion. They are just a paid protesting group. I've seen many homeless people at these things, are they just hanging around because they have nothing better to do, are angry, and getting taken care of just for standing around?

If they are taking in this much money, they really need to put it where their mouth is. Like I said before, hire some lobbying groups and try to actually change things. Or donate money to scholarship programs, vocational training programs, soup kitchens. Heck set up a legit NPO, pay all the workers an honest wage, and try to get stuff done.

This really sounds like the higher ups are just using this whole thing as a way to line their pockets. Provide some free food and gear for the protesters so you have an excuse of why you need money. But only use 5% of that money for the protesters, and then just pocket everything else.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

You make some great points that illuminate the hypocrisy of the movement. Their biggest mistake was turning the park into a 24/7 home for these people. Because of that, they have essentially formed their own Mini Government comprised of 30 or so committees and such.

They are focusing on the material goods to make their lives more comfortable. They have a 5 star chef preparing gourmet meals for them from the bowels of a Soup Kitchen.. etc..etc...

I'll just sit back and watch...and share the truth behind what is going on.

An old boss taught me years ago that Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...Details Details Details... all of the usual things you learn in the working and business world.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
As I have stated before in other posts... Marxism sounds good on paper. A Utopia in which all peoples are equal. share equally, and carry an equal burden.

The problem being that someone or some group has to administer the "equality" until absolute equality has been reached....but that point is never reached and the administrators of "equality" become the new ruling class.

Here is a good example.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
First, there's already a thread on it.
Second this doesn't smack of media spin to anyone? There's clear evidence of growth of the movement...more people in Zucotti Park, more people carrying signs areound NYC. Occupy cities popping up everywhere, veteran support, citizen support, all over the world. The spin will fail. I seriously doubt there's any truth in the story at all, the occupiers and supporters see through it and aren't worried. All I'm seeing and reading is a general consensus of "who cares if it's true".
Nice try Murdoch.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
First, there's already a thread on it.
Second this doesn't smack of media spin to anyone? There's clear evidence of growth of the movement...more people in Zucotti Park, more people carrying signs areound NYC. Occupy cities popping up everywhere, veteran support, citizen support, all over the world. The spin will fail. I seriously doubt there's any truth in the story at all, the occupiers and supporters see through it and aren't worried. All I'm seeing and reading is a general consensus of "who cares if it's true".
Nice try Murdoch.

Why are you doubting the validity of this story? Yeah that's right Murdoch....

Do you disregard the names, quotes and personal accounts of those interviewed from within the movement? You claim to be an occupier yourself. So ask around within your tent city in New York. The story is just information that you want to deny. There is now opinion in the story. Just reported facts. Wow!

People cannot last long in those living conditions. Tensions are understandably high within the ranks. People are fatigued, cold, wet, stinky and hungry. Soon they will development intestinal illnesses due to the sanitary conditions of their little "city". All that I mentioned is very bad for Morale. So crumbles the foundation that was so loosely laid to begin with....

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is a fascinating insight into the "government" of OWS, I'm surprised it didn't get more attention.
It's actually pretty educational .. "if OWS changed the World!" well, it would look like the camp government .. no thanks..

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thanks for dropping in . I think this story was just too much reality for people to handle because it extinguishes the romantic candle that people have been burning for Occupy since its premature birth.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
On a personal level, the insignificant and nobody do not see it as critical problem.

This is only a learning curve every society will have to deal with - goodwill from others, regardless if financial or emotional.

OWS has no single leader, but each a leader governed by his/her own conscience. This windfall, given freely with no expectations of return, as is a truisim of any donation, is left for each within to movement to use it in the best way possible for the movement, as they had not sought for donations and are prepared to brave it out with nothing, but no conscionable human will ever allow that to happen to another fellow human, even if there are detractors and plain hate filled criticizers of OWS.

We humans are still flawed, and only through mistakes and openess will we learn, correct and progress. So too is this new situation within OWS. Progress had never happen overnight, so too with this situation. In the end, based upon the altrusim of the movement, I am sure many more of them, whom are only expressing their freedom of speech and concerns, will address the issue, and most certainly make better use of such funds to extend the movement and ensure none is left behind.

They are not as cunning as the banksters are, only full of idealism, and are only sorting out their way pragmatically and egalitarianly, so that every dollar is accounted for which will take time, unlike the banksters whom have centuries of experience to scam all.

Thus OWS uncertainly and hesitation to utilize such funds, even if nothing is asked in return, but only that they are kept safe and sound and do not go hungry in these cold times and expenditure to meet genuine society's request for hygiene even if those who complained had not given a single cent to the movement, but only hurtful criticisms .

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

OWS has no single leader, but each a leader governed by his/her own conscience.

Actually they do have "leaders" in the form of those that head the "governments" .. so it's not social communism at these events, it's a direct form of democracy (in most cases) which thus has a leader. The whole movement may not have a leader, true, but there is a governing body that makes final decisions, holds the money, gives out the goods etc. So thus we can then evaluate the way they govern and decide .. if this is how they would run things, if even the glorified OWS can be corrupted and or incompetent ... do we really want them in Government at all?

top topics

join