It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya’s transitional leader declares liberation, sets Islamist tone for future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

TRIPOLI, Libya — Libya’s interim rulers declared the country liberated on Sunday after an eight-month civil war, launching the oil-rich nation on what is meant to be a two-year transition to democracy. But they laid out future plans with an Islamist tone that could rattle their Western backers. The joyful ceremony formally marking the end of Moammar Gadhafi’s 42-year tyranny was also clouded by mounting pressure from the leaders of the NATO campaign that helped secure victory to investigate whether Gadhafi, dragged wounded but alive out of a drainage ditch last week, was then executed by his captors.

After watching th death of Gaddafi I have to say I do not put much faith in the people of Libya. There's is a country I fear will always be rocked with bloodshed and internal feuds. Perhaps they will surprise me.

Using Sharia as the main source of legislation is stipulated in the constitution of neighboring Egypt. Still, Egyptian laws remain largely secular as Sharia does not cover all aspects of modern day life. In Brussels, neither the EU nor NATO wanted to address the issue of Sharia law. A NATO official said it was for the Libyans to decide on the system in their own country.

Of course Libyans should decide how to govern themselves but I worry a strict religious leader and set of laws are not best for a fledgling government trying to forget the cruelties of a past dictator. I will admit my understanding of Sharia law is basic at best and horrible at worst, but it is something I don't believe in. I don't think a religion should be the rule of all men and women in a country. There are those who are not Muslims.

Link

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I don't think a religion should be the rule of all men and women in a country. There are those who are not Muslims.

Try telling that to Al-CIAda ruling the country now.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

More and more of these countries that fall and adopt Sharia law will just do nothing more than make things worse.

Until people wake up, and deny these laws...it will just get even more worse. Eventually leading to genocide.

Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze

I don't think a religion should be the rule of all men and women in a country. There are those who are not Muslims.

Wha??

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i doubt tptb would have gone to all that trouble to have someone that disagreed with their ideals in power...

you can be sure whoever does take control will have strings attached which are controlled from behind the scenes..

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze

Wha??

A noob I see.

Al Qaeda = "The Data Base" in English
Al Qaeda is known to be fringe faction of the CIA.

Hence comicly known as:

Al-CIAda

edit on 23-10-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Just my opinion.

One that we share.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Domo1

More and more of these countries that fall and adopt Sharia law will just do nothing more than make things worse.

Until people wake up, and deny these laws...it will just get even more worse. Eventually leading to genocide.

Just my opinion.

the Sharia Law isn't the issue, its the people and the society that puts cruel punishments into play.
from your statement it looks like you're the one who is still asleep

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jonibelle

I thought that the punishments were dictated by Sharia law. I may be way off though.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonibelle

reply to post by Domo1

Just my opinion.

the Sharia Law isn't the issue, its the people and the society that puts cruel punishments into play.
from your statement it looks like you're the one who is still asleep

Could you please clarify your position? Sharia (sp?) law is especially brutal and mysogynistic, which is the justification behind "the people and the society that puts cruel punishments into play". That being the case, how is Sharia law not the issue?

Since you are "awake", maybe you could explain where my understanding is flawed?

Edit- To take it a little further. This is the religion that these people believe in. They believe it more fervently than pretty much any follower of any other religion. Actually, there are fringe fundamentalist whackos in every religion; it just seems that there are a much larger percentage of fundamentalists in Islam. Islam is the youngest of the Abrahamic religions, yet has the most adherents by far, over 1 billion. Why? Because they convert or kill. Period. They are freaking nuts. They don't send in nice missionarys to give out bibles, no, they conquer and convert.

I am pretty much an isolantionist and believe we should pull our troops out of everywhere and take care of business at home. But, if our country is going to fight this stupid war on terrorism, they need to really fight it and just wipe out these nutjobs. There is no "negotiating" with ANY Muslim. We are infidels and they hate us. Period. There is no middle ground. When they smile and do business with us, it is only as a means to an end. Period.
edit on 23-10-2011 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yeah for Human Rights.

Anyways. You aren't seeing it in English media for the most part, but Saif Al-Islam was apparently captured alive and is variously said to be injured, uninjured, missing an arm, or shot in the leg.

www.dnaindia.com...

He's apparently told NATO and the transitional council that they are rats.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Ya. I'm a FNG. and I get it.

But what I don't get is how the CIA would even think that this could be a good thing.

Please, educate me.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Ya, that's your lie Gus.

Keep telling it.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jonibelle

I know where I stand concerning humanity.

Do you?

link   
reply to post by Domo1

NEXT Country Bosnia, Pleasing the Islamists there
Bonsia already had tired on passing the sharia law but it was put on hold.

link   
Sorry for the double post.
edit on 23-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Really who didn't see this coming?

In 10 years we went from fighting radical Islam to aiding them in Libya everyone who was paying attention already knew the outcome was going to be an Islamic Theocracy which is par for the course of all the "arab spring" uprisings.

We will never learn and those people will never learn it is high time we get the hell out of the Middle East and Africa. Those people have to help themselves but it seems that none want it.

Darkness i looming on the horizon and it is only going to go downhill from there and here.
edit on 23-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
like I said before, replace one dictator with something worse.....

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You don't have to like it, you don't have to even care, but you should at least try to respect it, as long as the people of Libya have no objections... More power to them.

The framework of government and law is theirs to choose, now.

Sheesh, everyone on ATS seems to know what is best for Libya, damn what Libyans want. Right?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Of course Libyans should decide how to govern themselves

Hope that wasn't directed at me. Also, isn't this a discussion site? Why take issue with people voicing their opinions? I see where you are coming from but of course we are going to have our own thoughts on what is best for Libya.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join