It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim High School Girl Barred from Marching in ROTC Parade because of Head Scarf

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I am off topic, please excuse
edit on 10-21-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

Both of them should be removed in the interest of public health.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercurio
If they allow Sikhs turbans then it's only fair to allow a Muslim headscarf.

They should not allow either sikhus or muslusm or catholics or any religion reflect the military, military is SUPPOSE to be independant of the religions and almos tthe laws, it is separate in many ways, no head scarf it disrespects the military regardless who you worship. Plus it is not a requirement in the religion itself it is a self choice, which is useally inforced by the males, so she is usually forced into or face beatings and public condemnation, ya its a choice in the true religiuon itself, nough said no to a head scarf
edit on 21-10-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There has been an interesting mix of replies to my OP. I for one agree with those that point out that the Turban is an integral component of religious observation and the head scarf is not.

I was surprised to see the word Nazi pop up in the thread to say the least! I don't see a link between Nazi Germany and the enforcement of uniform regulations in the various entities that comprise the U.S. Military.

I hope the discussion continues.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

I brought up the Nazi's because it's strikingly similar to how they reacted with the Jews. They were thought of as having been against the country. Just the whole viewpoint I'm getting from dissenters is reminiscent of it all.

The Nazi's treated every Jew like they were trash, the root of their problems, that none of them were worth anything. I could see how it could not have been brought up, but I would not have otherwise said anything about them were it not worrying to me what the populace thinks of these people.

Edit:
Not that I mean the government's reaction, I meant the people within the thread and the sources comment section.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Xen0m0rpH because: Reinforcing statement

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
this is ridiculos. rules are rules follow em or get out dont expect them to change them for you.

2nd

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xen0m0rpH
reply to post by Dilligaf28

I brought up the Nazi's because it's strikingly similar to how they reacted with the Jews. They were thought of as having been against the country. Just the whole viewpoint I'm getting from dissenters is reminiscent of it all.

The Nazi's treated every Jew like they were trash, the root of their problems, that none of them were worth anything. I could see how it could not have been brought up, but I would not have otherwise said anything about them were it not worrying to me what the populace thinks of these people.

Edit:
Not that I mean the government's reaction, I meant the people within the thread and the sources comment section.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Xen0m0rpH because: Reinforcing statement

How is expecting someone to obey the rules of an organization that that voluntarily signed up for in any way similar to the way a military organization inflicted cruel and draconian rule over a segment of their population?

The poster's in this thread have, for the most part, presented opinions that reflect what could be termed amazement at the girl's audacity to demand an exception to the rules for something that she see's as a religious symbol but that is not recognized by her religion as an integral component of maintaining the faith.

What I have gleamed from most of the posts is that people feel compelled to point out the differences between a universal right and a selectively applied privilege. By wanting the military to make an exception to the rules for this young lady they are asking for the military to discriminate between her and the rest of the military based upon her religion. They are not interfering with her faith nor are they trying to rob her of it; the ROTC and the Military are simply maintaining the principles of equality and equal protection under the law embodied in the Constitution via the enforcement of a standard, unified dress code for all.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join