It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim High School Girl Barred from Marching in ROTC Parade because of Head Scarf

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

MUSLIM HIGH SCHOOL GIRL BARRED FROM MARCHING IN ROTC PARADE BECAUSE OF HEAD SCARF

www.theblaze.com

A Tennessee high school freshman wasn‘t allowed to march in her school’s homecoming parade last month because of her Muslim head scarf and is now trying to change U.S. Army policy as a result.

Demin Zawity, a Junior ROTC member at Ravenwood High School in Brentwood, Tenn., contacted the Council on American-Islamic Relations after she was barred from participating in the homecoming parade because her head scarf wasn’t allowed.

Under U.S. Army policy, full head coverings are prohibited during official uniformed ceremonies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
edit on 21-10-2011 by Maxmars because: PLEASE - NO ALL CAPS THREAD TITLES

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We here a lot of stories about Muslim persons making an issue of having to remove their ceremonial garb for whatever reason (park safety, security at various locations, etc.) I found this article and thought it was a good example of how some Muslim people go to far with their protests regarding removal of ceremonial garb.

This young lady joined the ROTC. The ROTC abides by the U.S. Military's dress code and under that dress code full head coverings are not allowed. Rather than assimilate she has chosen to make a scene of the whole affair.

I do not find this young ladies actions to be appropriate or in any way a positive example of Muslim assimilation in America. I wanted to get some opinions from ATS about this too.

Mods if this thread is in the wrong forum please move it. I searched various incarnations of the headlines and found no thread about this; lets hope I was right.

www.theblaze.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
oopps why would she be in ROTC in the 1st place

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yep, just another person trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. When you join, they fully explain the dress code. At that point she should have bowed out knowing what would ensue. Sick and tired of lame ass people trying to bend traditions to suit their little world.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
if you dont weigh in.

you dont wrastle.

uniforms are just that, uniform. im not sure how this is even news?

"student doesnt think her uniform should be same as everyone elses uniform". wow. earth shattering.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

I agree with you, however the military has already shot themselves in the foot on this one. The US Army allows Sikh soldier to wear turbans.

I dont mind reasonable accomodations for religious beliefs. However, the push for political correctness seems to be going overboard.

I respect her choice of religion however I dont agree with making any tyoe of accomodations in the military at all. They know what they are getting into, and joining in an effort to make a federal case out of something is just poor tsate.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The ignorant will definitely call this "another muslim bashing thread". I completely agree with your opinion on this. Religion has no place in an ROTC parade.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I agree with you, however the military has already shot themselves in the foot on this one. The US Army allows Sikh soldier to wear turbans.

I dont mind reasonable accomodations for religious beliefs. However, the push for political correctness seems to be going overboard.

I respect her choice of religion however I dont agree with making any tyoe of accomodations in the military at all. They know what they are getting into, and joining in an effort to make a federal case out of something is just poor tsate.

yes but they are Sikh soldiers, not US soldiers, they can abide by their own military dress code in conjuction with operations with our military personnel...........

so, no foot shot

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by joshter

Religion has no place in an ROTC parade.

Neither does a Muslim...at least if that Muslim took a look at our Foreign Policies and stance/perception of Islam, radical or not.

If she truly is a Muslim, her adherence to Islam would outweigh any other criteria if and when called upon to do her duty for her nation.

How the hell does a Muslim join any branch of the US military knowing this..? Either she's in denial, dumb as hell, or has an agenda...

Hopefully it's not the 3rd...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Yup, they sure did. So this becomes an open and shut case... Either they disallow the Sikh turbans or they allow head scarves.... Or they declare the apparent truth, that the US is officially at war with the religion of Islam.

btw, for the record, I think that turban is pretty damned cool looking.

edit on 10-21-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
No offence to OP but dont really understand why posting this,
i also like another poster said understand why there is even a story in this...

"Rebel teen tries to wear somthing they want instead of following dress code"

Like if this wouldnt a muslim that was making the issue i dont think it would be news,
i feel that anywhere that requests a dress code that you volunteer to be a part of there is not really and issue and nothing will come of this as its just the rules.

if this was a nose piercing, a big cross or other jewelry, tattoo's that were visible etc. it would not be allowed and would not make news.

im pretty certain all my above examples could be done for some form of religous event if not full blown religous practice, if say the girl was indian and in the process of getting ready for her wedding and was covered in hena tattoo's on her hands she would not be allowed to take part, im pretty certain a jew would not be allowed to wear there Kippah and you couldnt have a cross hanging out over the uniform...

as i said nothing will come of this, rules are rules, wear what you want like everyone else does 90% of the time, abide by the rules set by the groups your in or the places you visit the other 10% this is just a moaning face teen that feels they are being persecuted (like most moaning face teens)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain that if I was in ROTC and I wore a crown of thorns, or an orange buddhist monks gown, I would be asked to take it off.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

not 100% accurate...

From my understanding the head scarf in muslim religon is a sign of respect but not and actual 100% needed religous artifact, it was brough into the religon much later (like in thae last 150 years or somthing) to show a sing of respect at hiding there most important asset (which is seen to be hair)

however the turban is infact a proper religous item which has to be worn when in public if you are a practicing sikh all the time.

from my understanding anyway so its a little diffrent

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I remember when this happened but not the details. Was this only for in garrison? If in a combat zone, would he be required to wear standard headgear and shave, so as to be able to don a helmet and gas mask?

I prefer a universal standard, but I could see an exception for such religious headgear as long as the member was not in a combat zone, in formation or in combat training.

edit: sorry, didn't notice the link with the photo. I see it says ...

During training, he wore a camouflage turban under his Kevlar helmet. He used petroleum jelly to get a tight grip between his beard and gas mask, and was able to keep his hair clean under all conditions, meeting all the military's concerns about training and appearance.

That's sounds fine, but in a combat zone, is he walking around with petroleum jelly on his face? With the dusty/sandy conditions of the middle east combat zones, I don't see how that would fly. The security and function of the helmet would seem suspect as well.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

I see your point... in fact, there seems to be as much ambiguity in Islam about the various requirements of Hijab (including whether it is required at all) as there are in Christianity about hemlines and haircuts....

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Yup, they sure did. So this becomes an open and shut case... Either they disallow the Sikh turbans or they allow head scarves.... Or they declare the apparent truth, that the US is officially at war with the religion of Islam.

btw, for the record, I think that turban is pretty damned cool looking.

In the very link you provided:

And besides, the Sikhs were founded as a warrior group meant to fight against injustice and inequality, Lamba said, so adopting Army values was easy for him. "The Sikhs are warriors in Indian culture. Once our soldiers heard that, they were all for him," said Lamba's battalion commander, Lt. Col. Bryan Hernandez.

The Sikhs have nothing to do with religion. Nice try.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Sikhism, a 500-year-old religion founded in India, requires its male followers to wear a turban and beard and keep their hair uncut. Army policies since 1984 had effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting by barring those items

www.msnbc.msn.com...
(second paragraph of the article)

Indeed.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Sikhism, a 500-year-old religion founded in India, requires its male followers to wear a turban and beard and keep their hair uncut. Army policies since 1984 had effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting by barring those items

Indeed.

Touche. You are right.
edit on 10/21/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

You missed the point. Its the fact they already made an exception for the seiks.

Secondly, it does have to do with their belief system.

At another poster - I think the turban looks cool to.

Source

Both cases were reviewed by the US Army on an individual basis. and are subject to revocation due to change of circumstances. (Army Regulation 600-20 paragraph 5-6). The accommodation granted in these two cases does not mean the Army has overturned it's recruit policy of 23 years. Devout Sikhs are required to wear turbans and maintain unshorn hair and beards as articles of faith.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

You missed the point. Its the fact they already made an exception for the seiks.

Secondly, it does have to do with their belief system.

At another poster - I think the turban looks cool to.

I understand that now. The Army made exceptions. The Army does not determine what the PUBLIC SCHOOLS can and can't do. I think both of you are missing the main point. The Army and Public School systems are two separate entities. The Army can allow head scarfs if they wanted to, the Public Schools CAN'T.

...from what I've heard of these guys, they are not the ones you want to mess with.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join