It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy your emergency supplies now before hyperinflation occurs!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

"cold rice sucks: How do I cook it"?
Really?

Any number of camping and backpacking stoves are available for cooking. Doesn't everybody have a couple?
old two burner coleman camp stoves are simple; fairly bulletproof and can frequently be found at garage sales( 10 gallonsof stored camp fuel in original sealed metal cans takes up very little space).

If that was an honest question; you are gonna be in trouble( Better start learning today ). Should the utilities go down for any number of reasons...

edit on 20-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

Oops, wrong thread
edit on 20-10-2011 by Aestheteka because: wrong thread

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Really?

Any number of camping and backpacking stoves are available for cooking. Doesn't everybody have a couple?
old two burner coleman camp stoves are simple; fairly bulletproof and can frequently be found at garage sales( 10gallonsof stored campfuel in original sealed metal cans takes up very little space).

LOL...I was replying to another post. I'm all set to go on the survival front. Live in a very rural area, deep well...goats, all stored and rotated supplies...guns and ammo out the wazoola. Like minded neighbors...we already do the bartering/trading system with home grown veggies/fruit...eggs, milk, and keeping a sharp eye out for each other.

link   
I have been thinking about this for sometime. But I do have questions hopefully someone in my situation can help.
If it was just me, I know what I need and live and not live with. But I have a wife and small children.

I have water I usually keep about 30 gallons of distilled water in the house most of the time. I do live with in walking distance to a 500K acre lake so water and fishing would be a plus thing. About 5 miles up the the road from us is national forest.

I get the can goods. Spam, beans refriede and normal, Cornbeef hash which I love, I have found it has a tremendous shelf life. Plus you have protein and carbs. The one thing I do look for in my can goods is items that do not require water to cook. DO not want to waste water to make the food if possible.

I have about 25lbs of rice.

Now I do have problems in this area

Clothes: My son 11 and daughter 16months will eventually out grow what they have now. Not knowing how long it could get bad or be bad. Should I bigger than what they need now?

Planting food and external water sources. These are all great but what if we have fallout either radioactive/biological and our crops or soil have been contaminated.

Feminine products for my wife and maybe my daughter depending when everything goes down.

For a family my size I am not sure if I could even begin to get a 3 month supply of items. I am barely making it now. I do have some BOB ready one with camping gear the other with basic medical supplies, water purification tabs, potassium iodide.

Another thought I know I am all over the place. I make sure to keep a change of shoes in my trunk for my wife and children. They like to wear sandals and with the threat of EMP we may have to hike it back home. Then that brings it down to another question stay or go.

link   

Myself?, I just maintain my BoBs. Little Bob resides in the truck and Big Bob in the closet. Both have the same items, but Big Bob has a couple more odds and ends.

Many of my items have multiple uses and commonality is the theme. Any power is ran by "AA" batteries that can be solar recharged. Hand crank SW/AM/FM radio w/light. Ammo was also selected for commonality purposes.

Whether it be a tornado, flood, earthquake or zombie outbreak, I can move at a fairly quick pace. If the truck don't run, I can strap Big Bob on the back of my Mountain bike and continue on. Also have a canoe if need be and it can carry everything...and is quiet as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Get some firebrick, high temp mortar, a sawsall, a used wood stove, and chimney piping.
You could install it yourself in just a few days.
That's how I installed mine.

link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka

5. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO ME! Seeds for planting. I personally bought 1/2 a million different types of vegatable seeds for planting in an extended emergency. I bought these off ebay for only 73 dollars and this could be the most important thing for everyone. I have enough NGM modified seeds to last my family and more for a lifetime. Also get the tools neccessary to cultivate the land, such as ho's, shovels, rakes and more.

6. FEMA and other agencies say that you should have a battery powered radio to stay in touch with what is occuring nationally.

You're better of stocking up with root vegetables (even better to prepare your own root cellar). Don't rely on seeds, try to instersperse them with roots.
Also, make sure you have lots of glass jars to prepare conserves. And salt. You can make vinegar from apples (if you have the trees). Scurvy really wrecks your complexion....

Forget battery radios - get a wind-up one with in-built (but secondary) solar panel. You can also use it to charge phones, laptops, etc via USB (although you'll be cranking for a very long time). Make sure you get SW and AM as most just offer FM and MW

Most importantly, you have to decide upon your battle plan - are you going to stay and fortify or are you going mobile? I asked a friend of mine a while back if he's preparing and he replied that he'd just plunder. There are a lot of urban dwellers who aren't in the position to grow food or prepare long term residence (we're talking millions of hungry, panicked people) and once the shops are emptied (3 days or less) they'll be expanding their reach to find food....
If you're going to fortify, invest in a solid-fuel oven/heater system (like the old AGA), and drill a hand-pump well. Forget all the funky electronics-based stuff like solar power and electric wells as you can't rely on the batteries to sustain them.
Similarly, if you're looking for a vehicle get one which doesn't rely on electronics . Go as mechanical as possible.

those that say they will plunder really dont know what there getting themself into. There really going to gamble with there lifes to bust in someones house to steal food after the SHTF....

Ideally you need to have a lot of land with walls and fences.

link   
I think most people who become concerned about a prolonged, wide spread emergency (aka TSHTF) go through a couple of phases. First they prepare for hours and days and they as are doing research they make the transition to preparing for weeks or months. All the while they're reading more articles, website etc about the coming disaster and feel like they have to prepare for the total collapse of society.

At this point most level headed people begin to realize that preparing for the apocalypse is pretty futile and they accept that the preparations that they made will have to do (I fall into this category.) Then we read the message boards year after year and roll our eyes at the new "Rambos" that discover the same (or latest) dooms day predictions and express that sense of urgency that we once had.

If something dire happens my family and I can survive until after "the big die off" with what we already have and a little luck. After that anyone left will all be in the same boat.

Unfortunately some prepers fall into the 'survivalist mindset' and continue to stockpile and plan, stockpile and plan...after a bit of time they begin to crave the EOTW so that they can finally say "I told you so, now back away from the checkpoint!"
edit on 10/20/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Is all that food you are buying going to be good "years" from now???

I know some things can last a long time....but "years"??? Seems like you are just wasting money if you are trying to plan for "years" in advance.

Their are a lot of foods you can buy that last years. Go Military Surplus.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I live in a multi unit apartment building with NO access to a yard, garden, storage space, etc, of course. Well, I kept having this ([sigh] I know...) --feeling-- that this winter, something bad is going to happen, like, during a sub zero snow storm, our power will go out, and NOT come back on in a timely fashion like in times before. And it might be on purpose. (Lots of poor white elderly and disabled here...) (relying on the government)
And I am so greatfull for this thread, and especially an earlier poster who asked how to heat a room such as I was wondering. Heating this apartment without deadly carbon monoxide fumes, has been on my mind a great deal, coincidentally. Due to this constant omenous (intuition?) of mine.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by 46ACE

Really?

old two burner coleman camp stoves are simple; fairly bulletproof and can frequently be found at garage sales( 10gallonsof stored campfuel in original sealed metal cans takes up very little space).

LOL...I was replying to another post. I'm all set to go on the survival front. Live in a very rural area, deep well...goats, all stored and rotated supplies...guns and ammo out the wazoola. Like minded neighbors...we already do the bartering/trading system with home grown veggies/fruit...eggs, milk, and keeping a sharp eye out for each other.

Sorry; yes you were...

Some helpless posts make my jaw drop to the keyboard:
a.k.a.: " uncooked rice is hard to chew ..."
edit on 20-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by the4thhorseman
I have been thinking about this for sometime. But I do have questions hopefully someone in my situation can help.
If it was just me, I know what I need and live and not live with. But I have a wife and small children.

I have water I usually keep about 30 gallons of distilled water in the house most of the time. I do live with in walking distance to a 500K acre lake so water and fishing would be a plus thing. About 5 miles up the the road from us is national forest.

I get the can goods. Spam, beans refriede and normal, Cornbeef hash which I love, I have found it has a tremendous shelf life. Plus you have protein and carbs. The one thing I do look for in my can goods is items that do not require water to cook. DO not want to waste water to make the food if possible.

Clothes: My son 11 and daughter 16months will eventually out grow what they have now. Not knowing how long it could get bad or be bad. Should I bigger than what they need now?

Planting food and external water sources. These are all great but what if we have fallout either radioactive/biological and our crops or soil have been contaminated.

Feminine products for my wife and maybe my daughter depending when everything goes down.

For a family my size I am not sure if I could even begin to get a 3 month supply of items. I am barely making it now. I do have some BOB ready one with camping gear the other with basic medical supplies, water purification tabs, potassium iodide.

Another thought I know I am all over the place. I make sure to keep a change of shoes in my trunk for my wife and children. They like to wear sandals and with the threat of EMP we may have to hike it back home. Then that brings it down to another question stay or go.

Well for the growing children and needing clothes for them, im not sure what direction to tell you to go. Sweat pants and regular t shirts are pretty cheap and you could prob stock up on enough of them for only a hundred or so dollars so I would recommend cheap clothes that are stretchable and could be used for a period of time... if it is ultra long term, idk what to say beyond what native americans used to do which is use the hides of animals and sew them together... Get a book on animal hide curing and that would get you through ultra long term survival.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by the4thhorseman

Its gross but for the woman stuff they have cloth pads that you wash, what do you think they did in the old days. shirts and pants for growing kids, your just going to have to have some over sized stuff. worst case when they get a little bigger they just pin back your shirts and pants to fit them.

to stay or go is up to you. if you have a better place other then home where you think you have a better chance at life, go for it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Oops
Wasted typing
edit on 20-10-2011 by Aestheteka because: wasted typing

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
I live in a multi unit apartment building with NO access to a yard, garden, storage space, etc, of course. Well, I kept having this ([sigh] I know...) --feeling-- that this winter, something bad is going to happen, like, during a sub zero snow storm, our power will go out, and NOT come back on in a timely fashion like in times before. And it might be on purpose. (Lots of poor white elderly and disabled here...) (relying on the government)
And I am so greatfull for this thread, and especially an earlier poster who asked how to heat a room such as I was wondering. Heating this apartment without deadly carbon monoxide fumes, has been on my mind a great deal, coincidentally. Due to this constant omenous (intuition?) of mine.

As I said earlier, kerosene heat will not kill you all you have to do is crack a window or door, and coleman's stoves are the same way. I know a guy who had to live in his car through winter and he used a coleman heater every night til he would fall asleep then just keep it on with a window cracked and he made it through the whole winter living in his car, except when I would let him come over and stay with me like 1 or 2 times a week.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Funnily enough, I was discussing survival tampons and panty liners last night.
The vikings used leather pouches filled with moss....

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishman1985
Hello everyone, I would like to begin by saying if you DO NOT believe that some type of disaster is looming then do not even bother reading this post. While noone knows exactly when the next big disaster will strike, we all must agree that at some point something huge could happen.

I have but one question…..

Just who is this noone you speak of?
Why is he keeping this info to himself?

Just a little joke. I read it that way and it made me laugh.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by camaro68ss

I honestly think there has been a sub-group of people saying the same thing you are saying all throughout history.

Some just see the negative in the world...and are convinced something is going to happen any day now...and they obsess over it and IMO waste their life waiting for something to happen instead of living their lives.

Don't believe me...ask the people that built fall out shelters in the 60's how much use they got out of those.

Now I'm not saying nothing bad will ever happen...but trying to prepare for "something" that is going to happen "sometime" is a waste in my opinion. I'll take things as they come, and I'll enjoy life up until that point without worry.

Many of those people thought that those shelters were more than worth it, even if never used. Also, being prepared doesn't mean not having a life. I am very prepared and have enjoyed my life very much, thank you.

I do not obsess, I do not just see the negative, I just feel that it is more realistic to be prepared than not.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikemck1976

Originally posted by fishman1985
Hello everyone, I would like to begin by saying if you DO NOT believe that some type of disaster is looming then do not even bother reading this post. While noone knows exactly when the next big disaster will strike, we all must agree that at some point something huge could happen.

I have but one question…..

Just who is this noone you speak of?
Why is he keeping this info to himself?

Just a little joke. I read it that way and it made me laugh.

thanks for bringing a little humor to my thread... I dont know who noone is, i dont know anybody!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
for all the people scoffing at this thread, just realize all it will take is one major incident to strip every shelf of every store, and I would nt want to be stuck in the middle of the pandemonium trying to get some supplies. Get it now, so even if its only a few days you have something. We have regional disasters every year around the US. Ice storms, snow storms tornadoes floods hurricanes, and whatever else. wouldnt it be easier to know that you could hunker down because you are prepared. Just something to think about.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join