It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Defense.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Okay. I just got home from work delivering flyers for this local business. I'm in the last subdivision of houses.
I come to a house with a big truck and RV thats blocking the view of the entrance. I walk between the two when in a moment, a black fully grown pitball turns the corner and charges at me in the corridor. I hit my arm on something when I was backing away/guarding and it started bleeding, it's bruised now, I used my water bottle to jam it at it's mouth when it lunged at me so it couldn't bite me.

The guy said I should have just stood still, but the dog was going to bite me if I didn't pre-attack it/get in guard.
This is the third time i've been attacked by a dog doing this job, but the first time wounded.
The last time I just kicked at the dog, but this time I had a brief strategy employed.
I was ready to kill it with my water bottle/bare hands
I'm not calling the cops, nor seeking compensation, but next time I will.

Pointers for my fellow ATS'ers?... for when feral dogs roam the streets. or, like today, the so-called "friendly" neighbourhood dog becomes a raving lunatic savage beast intent on killing you for stepping foot on it's territory.

edit on 19-10-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

So... you are going on to people's property and being attacked by dogs?

edit on 19-10-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
In a shtf situation, just shoot the dog. In our current world, stun guns work great and bear spray is also decent.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Maybe the dog dislikes unsolicited flyers as much as I do?
Perhaps if you cover yourself with Lion Piss you might be better prepared?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There is really nothing an unarmed person can do against certain kinds of dogs. If they are bred for fighting they are faster, stronger and much more vicious then you are. Plus they can take a beating.

If your up against pitbulls and such, besides avoiding a confrontation with them at all costs, I would advise bringing a weapon. I am not sure of the effectiveness of Mace on a dog, but it works on bears.

edit on 19-10-2011 by fedeykin because: spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

So... you are going on to people property and being attacked by dogs?

Yeah pretty much. Are you implying I should expect to be attacked by dogs for entering people's property?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think your starting to understand one of the great truths for SHTF.

A semi-automatic weapon with a fairly large capacity has its place.

One more thing. a good quality dog treat in your hand can turn mr snarly into a trusted friend. I used to buy antiques like the guys on American Pickers and we would stop and get mcdonalds hamburgers, those little ones and tear them in 1/4 in a bag in the pocket. Just dont feed more than 1/4 cause most dogs get the runs.
edit on 19-10-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Here in the Uk there was recently a rash of dogs(usually "docile" pets) attacking young children other family members sometimes killing them

I know it sounds crazy but the worst thing to do is let the dog know you are scared,if you can grab a stick and keep your distance,and NEVER! turn your backto an angry dog,and if the dog has you pinned and it is a matter of life and death prize its 2 front legs apart outwards,this can damage their heart and kill them,not that i condone animal cruelty but if it is a matter of life and death i would have no trouble despatching of the beast.Depending on your country/state law they are mostly on your side,in scotland a dog can and will be put to sleep if it attacks.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I couldn't take that - my nerves would
be frayed everyday thinking of the
dog that might do me in. Carry mace
and try to get a different job, its not
worth the risk.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420

and if the dog has you pinned and it is a matter of life and death prize its 2 front legs apart outwards,this can damage their heart and kill them

The problem with this specific move is that it you need both your hands, and the dog's teeth have easy access to your throat.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Maybe the dog dislikes unsolicited flyers as much as I do?
Perhaps if you cover yourself with Lion Piss you might be better prepared?

lol, probably. I couldn't care less myself, I just want to finish the job and come home at the end of the day in one piece.
I doubt there is much I can do besides be prepared for the next dog attack and to have a plan.

the second it happens, your adrenalin starts pumping and everything is so chaotic. I remember thinking 20 different things at the same time, oh crap is this it? am i going to have to kick it? punch it? no break its neck, no thats stupid just run,....and in that time the dog is howling and charging, nipping at your legs. the world around me stopped and it was just me and this dog duking it out for life.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by fedeykin

Valid point,however i think each case would depend on the dog.Getting a yorkshire terrier out of yer grille is as easy as planting the boot intae it,however a rottweiler given the same treatment wil just be made angrier!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
I think your starting to understand one of the great truths for SHTF.

A semi-automatic weapon with a fairly large capacity has its place.

I'm in canada. right in the middle of metro vancouver. the only people with guns are the cops and the criminals.
I would love if we had them, at least the educated/trained above average citizens.
I just can't afford it. (licenses, everything...)

in/if SHTF, I think a lot of us will be forced to other methods for the initial periods of time.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Cool story Bro!
Some pointers....or 1 pointer anyway.
I trust my dog's judgement, if they warn me I listen as dogs seem to have a keen 6th? sense.
This makes 3 attacks on you by dogs?
Change something, the dogs do not like you!
Just kidding, but you will notice most dogs do not like delivery folk, mail, fed ex, ups, Etc.
I don't think it is the uniform as I have been in a few different uniforms and have only been aggressed by 1 dog ever.
In that case I wrapped him in a body/neck choke style hold and got his owners attention and all was good.
Hope it helps

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Dog was doing his job...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
From experience use your arm as defense. Position it horizontally, as soon as he goes for the bite jam your arm as far back into his mouth as possible. He wont be able to bite down hard because your arm is in the back of his mouth. You can all so do this if he has all ready leached on to your arm, just push your arm back into its back jaw and its jaw will open up wider then yank it out real fast.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

A spray bottle with Listerine in it. Try it (halfway between 'mist' and 'stream.) It will not poison them, will not blind them. It will alter their desire to rip you to shreds, on contact.
Also knocks menacing insects (fruit flies, knats, mosquitos, etc.) right out of the air like no tomorrow. Kills head lice way better than that poison sold at the drug store. Probably does a number on bed bugs too, but thankfully I haven't had the opportunity to test it out.

I looked up the ingredients a while back. Thymol is listed somewhere on a gov website as an insecticide. Hmmm... (Sorry no link today. Too many other threads to check in on!) Buy the off-brand, biggest bottle you can find.

Happy spritzing!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Layers of clothing help alot,if you have cloth covering your arms you wont feel the bite. Also An animal will go for your arm if you stick it out in front of you.Get it to bite the arm you stick out and try to carry a small knife on yourself. You may need a knife because some dogs do not stop attacking until dead. And if bieng attacked by more than one dog you may not have time to beat the dogs to death with blunt force.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

A spray bottle with Listerine in it. Try it (halfway between 'mist' and 'stream.) It will not poison them, will not blind them. It will alter their desire to rip you to shreds, on contact.
Also knocks menacing insects (fruit flies, knats, mosquitos, etc.) right out of the air like no tomorrow. Kills head lice way better than that poison sold at the drug store. Probably does a number on bed bugs too, but thankfully I haven't had the opportunity to test it out.

I looked up the ingredients a while back. Thymol is listed somewhere on a gov website as an insecticide. Hmmm... (Sorry no link today. Too many other threads to check in on!) Buy the off-brand, biggest bottle you can find.

Happy spritzing!

I have experience Using bear mace on a 25 pound house pet dog,this did not stop it,only made it madder. I do not recomend this.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
From experience use your arm as defense. Position it horizontally, as soon as he goes for the bite jam your arm as far back into his mouth as possible. He wont be able to bite down hard because your arm is in the back of his mouth. You can all so do this if he has all ready leached on to your arm, just push your arm back into its back jaw and its jaw will open up wider then yank it out real fast.

The back of the dogs mouth provides more bite force and bigger teeth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join