It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photography of ATS Members

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Yeah,
Post some photos of that culinary beast.

Good point...I need to get some more culinary photos! Better yet, I need to see about maybe getting in a few local restaurants and taking some behind-the-line shots....

That’s a pretty cool shot of the lights..How did you keep them from blooming on your ccd? Filter?

Ahh...hehe - Well, the lights were actually off - My flash has an auto-focus assist mode that uses a infrared pre-flash to find a focal point, so I set the focus on the middle bulb, f/3.5, 1/160 shutter, ISO 100, full-on flash....Voila - Instant light

Here's what it actually looked like straight out of my camera, before I did any RAW processing, which corrected the tungsten WB and lightened the exposure...

I guess maybe the flash caught some of the filament of the bulbs and turned it that tungsten color during the exposure? Seems like 90% of the time, my lighting is just guess work - Or in this case, the lack thereof

[edit on 4/30/2006 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well...all I can say is that all you folks have some really nice work...I am really hoping I can learn more from your examples.

My wife took my truck and went to a baby-shower, so I took this shot from an earlier time (she was threatening to "pull over" if I didn't stop with the camera):

and messed around with digital 10 until I got this:

Kinda' reminds me of someone opening a food-slot door in the sky and peeking in to see if the critters need food and water...

What image software do you guys use, and which do you think are best for the non-commercial user?

[edit on 4/30/2006 by apocalypticon]

[edit on 5/2/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well, Enron...,

since you are a fan of the Chef's I thought I would take my camera today and get you a photo...as you can see, I really botched the placement and lighting...

so, in all his poorly lit and placed glory, I give you...Thomas Keller:

really, really sorry about the quality on this one...but while we were discussing some details on the painting I mentioned that he had a fan in Florida...he was more than happy to take time out for a photo...don't know if he would like the results much, though.

That forehead...gimme my sunglasses!

I also over-sharpened it, trying to get better detail in the face...

[edit on 5/1/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I’m honored that you thought of me and that he took the time out of his day to do such a thing…

I truly can’t thank you enough! That really made my day!!

And hey…Lighting is a tough one to get right all the time….Especially in that harsh mid-day sun….

As silly as it sounds, next time try using a little flash for filling in harsh contrasts of light and dark….

Sometimes you can use that natural high key lighting to your advantage…Especially when the subject is wearing white! Perhaps bathed in more sun, you could have cut his features out with the sunlight…

Wow….I’m still amazed – I’m going to have to send him a thank you letter ( Shove a few of my awards and culinary photos in there while I’m at it
)

Thanks you so much!!

Edit:
Okay – A little hero worship never hurt….

For those not in the know and wondering who this Thomas Keller fellow is....He's only one of the world's top chefs! He owns the world renown The French Laundry and several other restaurants, including Per Se and Bouchon

This book is quite possibility my most war-torn, ripped and spilled-upon book in my collection – It’s a challenge to recreate his masterpieces, but they yield such incredible culinary rewards…
The French Laundry Cookbook

A little background on him en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">here

[edit on 5/1/2006 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well, Enron...here are 2 more for you. Thanks for telling me about imageshack; I have been able to post larger shots without spending all my points!

Anyway, this place is just north of the outskirts of St. Helena...The town gets it's name from Mt. St. Helena, which lies further north of town, and was named by Russian fur traders operating out of Fort Ross in the early 1800's. Fort Ross was the most southern of the outposts of the Russian fur trade in North America.

I had to stitch two shots to fit this into one...the building is truly enormous.

We painted a place for a lady a few years ago who had just retired as a vice-president of some division of AOL...at age 32... . When I met her she was about half-way through a 2 year Pastry Chef course at this place. And, she would bring home her class projects every night. Sooooo....

When we got to her place each morning we would be greeted with 2 fresh pots of coffee, and a huge platter of the previous days efforts.

Customers like that are hard to take...

And now...I will stop spamming this thread and hope some of you other folks will post some things, 'cause I've seen some really nice photos here.
and I look forward to seeing more...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Here's some shots of the flowers awake this weekend:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
those are some really sweet shots, Parrhesia...you've really got a gift.

They all have a beautiful, soft feel to them. You use natural light and background much better than I do. I rely on digital10 too much in adjusting my results. Are you fortunate enough to live in that beautifully wooded area?

I ask this as one who grew up camping in the Sierra Nevada practically every weekend when I was growing up (except for Winter, when my dad headed us to the coastal redwoods). Stuck in typical suburbia now as our area, which used to be relatively rural, has been swallowed up more and more by Bay Area sprawl.

What kind of equipment do you use? Do you use any kind of imaging software? 'Cause it looks like your shots come out beautifully without any manipulation after-the-fact.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by apocalypticon
those are some really sweet shots, Parrhesia...you've really got a gift.

They all have a beautiful, soft feel to them. You use natural light and background much better than I do. I rely on digital10 too much in adjusting my results. Are you fortunate enough to live in that beautifully wooded area?

I ask this as one who grew up camping in the Sierra Nevada practically every weekend when I was growing up (except for Winter, when my dad headed us to the coastal redwoods). Stuck in typical suburbia now as our area, which used to be relatively rural, has been swallowed up more and more by Bay Area sprawl.

Thanks, apocalypticon. I appreciate it

I don't live in that area, though I used to. I'll stop by there most weekends when heading to the cottage. I live in Toronto and while there is plenty of green space and parklands within it I have yet to find these sorts of flowers or the same sort of beauty in the forests. It doesn't help much that they are littered with trash :shk:

What kind of equipment do you use? Do you use any kind of imaging software? 'Cause it looks like your shots come out beautifully without any manipulation after-the-fact.

For those images I used my Olympus SP-310.
It's got 7.1 megapixels
Lens: 8.0 – 24.0mm (38 – 114mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 6 lenses in 5 groups, 3 aspherical lens with 4 surfaces
Zoom: Seamless to 15x (3x optical and 5x digital combined)
Aperture Range: f2.8 - f4.9 (adjustable in 1/3 EV step)
LCD: 2.5" color LCD, approx. 115,000 pixel

More Info Here

I've had it since Febrary and have largely spent the last 3 months exploring its features and getting used to it. It's a hell of a lot better than my last digital camera and the quality of the images has jumped hugely. I don't use any imaging software; I like to see what I can do just between me and the camera.

Here's a few odd ones:

Power Generating Station:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Par,
Wow those flowers look so different when awake.
By the way, when I was looking back at the sleeping version.
I thought of this title. "Monday Morning Meeting".

I have some shots of Toronto, from the late 80's.
I should dig them up, and scan one or two.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Oh man,...those really are nice! I especially like numbers 1 & 3, but they are all nice.

I have a small, 4 megapixel Canon, and I have yet to spend enough time with it to learn to use the few functions it does have.

When I have learned more about the technical side of things I will probably upgrade, but...basics for me, first.

I have only been to the Northeastern part of the American portion of the continent once, last Fall, when my eldest daughter and I flew back to Philadelphia and then drove up to Dartmouth, in New Hampshire, for a med-school interview. It was really beautiful, and a lot different from the Mediterranean-type climate we have out here.

I really liked it.

'Course, I wasn't shoveling 3 ft. of snow out of my driveway at the time, either...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

And this one is truly from a wide range of eras. It's a digital pinhole HDR image.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hey LoganCale,

I really like shot #2 of the dog. The color and feel are great.

Now, courtesy of my youngest daughter and her two friends, I give you:

Stinson Beach feet...and seagull.

Let me take just a second to thank everyone who is contributing shots on this thread. I am really enjoying this.

[edit on 5/4/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Our Pink Wisteria finally popped...a pleasant surprise as we have had so much rain so late into the season...

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
LoganCale.

Could you give a brife description of that first shot in the series.
It reminds me of wood, eaten by some sort of beetle grubs, or something like that.
Pretty cool..

Apocalypton,
Quite a "feet" on that beach photo.
Wisteria is nice too..

ok,

It looks like I've got the "buy in" for me to purchase a new camera.
I can't afford the 39 megapixel Hasselblad
, It's nice to READ about a 29 thousand dollar camera though!

But I am needing more flexibility.
So I am looking at Digital SLR's

I shoot often in the dark, and need very low pixel noise.
A rugged body is important too.
One other thing, are there any on the market that will auto-shoot on a timer?
Say, shoot a pic, every 10 seconds..time lapse is what I am looking for.
You've seen the kind f stuff I shoot..any recommendations?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
thanks for the compliment spacedout.

I snap my pics with a Canon PowerShot, which is only 4 megapixels...and I am still trying to learn that. I will be of no help to you, I'm afraid.

I'll be interested to hear what others say, though.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by apocalypticon
Hey BaastetNoir,

Yeah, the trees are nice.

Have you ever been to the redwoods? Here are some in Northern California:

I have never been there, but it looks lovelly... i like shots in the woods, because the tree shadows always help out with the outcome...

here's some new stuffies...

You never came

You never came - B&W

and this is me ...having some fun with my mugg, after watching an "HEll Raiser" marathon... yes... yes ... brain damage ...exactly .. ;p

Welcome Down

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Very Artsy... would love to see it in B&W

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Wow…There is some increicdle work here in these recent posts – I’m always amazed when I stop by and catch-up….

Space – Right off the bat I’d highly recommend the Rebel XT – I’ll have to u2u you with some more of my thoughts a little later….

At any rate - Awesome work everyone…Hopefully I’ll get a chance in these next few days to do a run-by on each one, but I’ve been up to my neck lately and I just wanted to swing in and post a few photos from this evening…

Turns out I won’t be “in” my best friend’s wedding – They had more ushers than they could count….But the good news is, that leaves me open to shoot photos….Hopefully I won’t interfere with their $6000 wedding photographer….Don’t even get me started on that subject

Maybe one day I can charge that much!

At any rate – They had their rehearsal tonight….A few shots here from that….They’re a little rushed in the post-processing….I’ve been up since 6:00 and I’ve got to get up early tomorrow for the big day, so I didn’t take as much time as I need to with them yet…

See this man…

He owns a Canon 5D….And two L lenses….He’s my new best friend

Well – Okay….He’s been a friend for a while – But he just splurged and bought a whole array of new camera gear that makes me soooo jealous!!

That shot of him was taken with his Canon EF 17-35mm f/2.8L USM – Look at how crisp that baby is….And it looked SO pretty sitting on my camera….All I need to do now is set aside an extra $1000 for it!
Some day!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Here are four more from Romania last February; I'm not sure why I like them, but I do...

The redhead is my youngest daughter...the girl on the right is the interpreter...they were at a village well.

This last one was abit of a fluke...the shutter failed to fully open while shooting the ceiling in the chapel at Hunaduara Castle...but it made for a "happy accident".

Going back next Summer.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Whoops!

I deleted one of the images before it dawned on me that I couldn't edit the post.

Here it is, an intersection in Deva, Romania (and man was it cold):

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join