It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Deploys Kamikaze Drones to Attack Afghan Taliban Targets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

U.S. Deploys Kamikaze Drones to Attack Afghan Taliban Targets

www.businessweek.com

Oct. 19 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Army and Air Force special operations forces have used miniature kamikaze drones against Taliban targets and plan to renew the attacks next year, according to documents and an Army official.

The tube-launched Switchblade drone, made by Monrovia, California-based Aerovironment Inc., was secretly sent to Afghanistan for the first time last year. “Under a dozen” were fired, said Army Deputy Product Director William Nichols.

“It’s been used in Afghanistan by military personnel” and “shown to be effective,” Nichols said. The drone’s GPS guidance is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The video says it all, this is the tool that US troops need to fight the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Too much collateral damage? Use a smaller guided bomb!

Personally, I think if warfare keeps heading this direction, countries like China are far better postured to mass produce a drone army that is as cheap as this.

That's a scary thought, that instead of crap on Wallmart shelves, there are millions of cheap drones in the sky over America. Movie idea? I think so.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What keeps the signal that the drones are using from being Jammed? I seriously doubt any county would be able to use them on a technologically advanced country.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Such bravery our troops show! Hide behind their humvee, safely tucked away, and let a robot attack the cowardly taliban that did 911! Praise our troops! Praise them!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
What keeps the signal that the drones are using from being Jammed? I seriously doubt any county would be able to use them on a technologically advanced country.

There are jammers for these types of gadgets, the US has the capability to create a bubble of protection. However, you would have to place a bubble over everything you want to protect, they have radioactive components in the jammers, and they are very expensive.

It's also been questioned as to whether these devices lead to cancer after prolonged exposure.

Slow death or quick? You decide.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
That's a great new weapon.

I think that we should supply our troops with the best weapons available.

The purpose of war in not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
That's a great new weapon.

I think that we should supply our troops with the best weapons available.

The purpose of war in not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.

Great quote from boy George, but I doubt it relates to this topic. Coming from a man who basically invented physical fitness in the military, I find it hard to believe he would approve of such cowardice or appearance of it. That's a side issue, anyway.

What would Patton really have to say about this, from someone who has studied him?

First, he would tell you that these people aren't dying for their country, but their religion. Tactics have to change at that point, because religion doesn't have borders. In fact, these people (in relation to their country) are merely fighting an occupation. The best thing to give them would be a total troop withdrawl, and a promise that if we ever have to return, it will be quick and brutal.

See, Patton would have won the war, not drag it out for a decade. He would have had the military prowess and intelligence to see that we can not win a war with our hands tied. Drones are neat, but we have the capability to level the place and turn it into the biggest parking lot in the world.

Patton had tanks, we have nukes. The scope of war has changed, don't leave the man behind and assume he is stupid and can't comprehend that much. He would tell us exactly what we need to be told.

America, take the gloves off. If you are just in waging war, wage war. Do not wage diplomacy, or kinetic military actions. Do not turn a country into a police action and call for democracy from the Green Zone.

Blow it up, and don't even promise to rebuild it. Come in and kick those legos all over the room, spit on them and give the bird to the whining babies as they watch. Then, look at the next room and tell them that if they ever cross you in this way it will be worse.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

You would have nuked the country?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
...Personally, I think if warfare keeps heading this direction, countries like China are far better postured to mass produce a drone army that is as cheap as this.

That's a scary thought, that instead of crap on Wallmart shelves, there are millions of cheap drones in the sky over America. Movie idea? I think so...

Man I hated to star you because that is a scary thought, but then again I had to star you because that IS a scary thought...

My 86 year old pop & I recently had a discussion on the psychological--or maybe psyops--aspects the drones must produce in the mind of the enemy. A drone that you can't physically address in a personal way. It lacks the passion of hatred-fueled battle.

And you never know when one is gonna find you. That is chilling and MUST do a mind job on those who have the most to fear from them.

Man is incapable of using, rather than abusing, such war god-like technology. Will our own tech turn back on us like a burning scorpion sting in the dark?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by sbctinfantry

You would have nuked the country?

War is inexcusable. A nuke is the last resort. Why are we so weak that we are constantly relying on our last resort?

I understand the mind of a civillian, you are innocent.

Your government failed you every time you go to war. Why has there never been a reprimand?

Patton fought wars against a different enemy. Different enmies need different tactics. He fought against human beings, not machines. Tactics don't work, the enemy doesn't think, feel, hesitate. It just kills.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gameoverforyou
Such bravery our troops show! Hide behind their humvee, safely tucked away, and let a robot attack the cowardly taliban that did 911! Praise our troops! Praise them!

Ahh yes you must be young..............

Youve probably never seen combat...........

I have..............feel free to stick your head out at any time youre getting rained on by led and explosives......

Go ahead mr.attitude.........

Id pit the man behind the humvee keeping calm under fire operating something like that in a precise manner, against your bravery any day
edit on 19-10-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Can any one tell me how much each one of those expendable drones cost? I did not find a price in the source article. All in all they do seem to be a pretty good weapon.
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

I have..............feel free to stick your head out at any time youre getting rained on by led and explosives......

Id pit the man behind the humvee keeping calm under fire operating something like that in a precise manner, against your bravery any day

Excellent rebuttal. Ah, the folly of youth. Folly, or stupidity, I won't judge.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Excellent rebuttal. Ah, the folly of youth. Folly, or stupidity, I won't judge.

LoL the problem with youth is it is wasted on the young!

LOL thank you for the agreement........

I think anything that keeps troops safer is a step in the right direction.........

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

You're welcome. You had a very valid point.

We have a saying at work: "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not old and bold pilots."

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Seriously dude? Such bravery YOU show hiding behind your keyboard running your mouth about the people who are clearly much braver then you. I don't recall reading anywhere that the taliban were responsible for 9/11. *waits for the link to some bs site*

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
LOL>

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Best way to keep troops safe is to keep them at home. And not to pick fights with everyone you can.

Stupid warmongers, you grunts dying for the rich guys are the dumbest of the lot.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Why do you suppose Amerika is jobless right now?
Why did the factories get offshored?
Its pretty obvious that the PTB intend to use Amerika as the spear point to bring about the NWO....
They do not care if they sacrifice the whole country seeing as they are diposable anyways....
The military is the only job hiring constantly these days.
Thousands of unemployed will swell its ranks as they are forced into enlisting by the social situation at home.
Perhaps we dont make much manufactured goods anymore, but we sure can concentrate of producing death machines of every size and shape.
This is what Amerika produces for the NWO now,
Soldiers, weapons and war technology mostly designed for use against civilians these days by the way.....
Much of military innovation is focussed on civil unrest, and how to counter it....
Drones, micro wave projection,area denial systems,Urban warfare gear like see through walls stuff etc.
They even are in the process of firelding a robot semi autonomous machine gun on tracks.......

new topics

top topics

join