It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 year old Viking sword discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If you're like me and you're somewhat fascinated in Viking times, check this out:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Good article, I've added it to this thread > www.abovetopsecret.com... <

Thanks for sharing.
edit on 19-10-2011 by Ramcheck because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nice Sword .. sure it still pretty sharp once we remove the dirt

Time to reforge it like they did in Lord of the ring

edit on 10/19/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I would have followed you my Brother… my Captain… my King!
Nice sword. But I think it's not reforgeable.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not much left of the sword but still an amazing find and worth to be kept. S&F for you.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
WOW!

Imagine what that sword has done!

That is incredible.

I shall return to school at once to study archaeology !

Or at least I shall procure a metal detector from one of the many advertisements in the weekly print!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

I read this on yahoo news, great BTW.. The Vikings where the masters of their times! The finding of the sword was one thing, the finding of the axe head wow, being one of the throwing weapons of its day. I have seen some found Viking swords, not many axes.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

" l know a place that serves great Viking food." Frank Drebin from The Naked Gun.

Great find OP! I have a great interest in edged weaponry. Thanx.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am envisioning a very large "Thor"-looking man wielding this thing, especially that axe-head! I cannot imagine the handle the axe-head had!

Seriously, if objects could only talk! I bet the man ate breakfast, then second breakfast, then early lunch, then lunch, then supper and finally dinner and dessert! LOL Keep that pot boiling!
edit on 10/19/2011 by Greensage because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Makes me wonder if that sword has claimed the lives of anyone.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is really neat. The sword and axe are very typical of what you would find in this sort of situation. The man himself was obviously quite wealthy as a sword was exceedingly expensive, so much so that they were often passed down through the generations. It was very rare that a commoner or poor person would have owned a sword.

I think it's interesting that they buried him with the boat because cremation was a fairly typical form of burial for the times.

It's also interesting because it is before the Norse religion, and the accompanying pagan religions of the surrounding area, were crushed by Christianity. The world was a very different time before Christianity took hold and the Norse were some of the last to be converted.

To give you some idea of of the time period, this man was buried almost 100 years before the first crusade and half a century before the Conquest of England by the Normans (who were descendants of "Vikings").

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

If the sword belonged to the fellow buried in the boat, then its a dead cert that its cut some threads in its time. Very rare for an invading leader or figurehead to go to his grave with an un blooded blade, and even less likely when that invader is Viking.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

The Vikings raided Ireland annually. The Irish would build cone shaped towers to hide in. Once their monks and people were inside with food, water, and their wealth they would pull up the ladder and be safe.
The buildings could not be burned down, since they were massive stone structures. Dublin Ireland Ulster Museum has some fabulous artifacts from this time period. They also have a skeleton of a very large man with his head cut off, and other sword injuries to his bones.

I have some great photos of this example to which I can't figure out how to put them here. Anyone know where the instructions on that are?
edit on 20-10-2011 by frugal because: Can't get pictures attached to reply.

edit on 20-10-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realm52

Makes me wonder if when I'm eventually buried for eternity, if some overly curious people will dig up my bones and steal my stuff.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Realm52

Makes me wonder if when I'm eventually buried for eternity, if some overly curious people will dig up my bones and steal my stuff.

I have to praise your imagination.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
That, IS AMAZING!!!
I'd like to own something old from the viking age to connect with the ancestors.

new topics

top topics

join