It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48 Wild Bears, Tigers, Lions and Wolves Escape Enclosure.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
That happened not far from my friends house. The officials won't yet release the keepers cause of death. But people around here know what happened.

He was shot and killed and the killer then released all of the animals.

Sounds to me like some crazy PETA radical or some other similar nut-job is responsible for this.

And by the way to the OP. Just because someone has had a felony does that make them a criminal for the rest of their life? He did his time right? And also he can get his rights back and vote again if he wishes. How do you know he didn't do that already? How do you know he doesn't vote?

Animals stink that's a given, so of course a place like that is gonna smell. Ever been to a ZOO?! Do you realize how regulated these types of refuge centers are? You talk like he didn't take proper care of the animals and the facility.

And it also looks to me like you are basing these judgment calls on the fact the the dude had a felony in his past. A felony that he already did his time for.

The man was shot and killed by some psycho, and the psycho then let the dangerous animals loose. Period. His past felony has nothing to do with the stench you smell nor the animals being let loose.

-Alien

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct
That happened not far from my friends house. The officials won't yet release the keepers cause of death. But people around here know what happened.

He was shot and killed and the killer then released all of the animals.

Sounds to me like some crazy PETA radical or some other similar nut-job is responsible for this.

And by the way to the OP. Just because someone has had a felony does that make them a criminal for the rest of their life? He did his time right? And also he can get his rights back and vote again if he wishes. How do you know he didn't do that already? How do you know he doesn't vote?

Animals stink that's a given, so of course a place like that is gonna smell. Ever been to a ZOO?! Do you realize how regulated these types of refuge centers are? You talk like he didn't take proper care of the animals and the facility.

And it also looks to me like you are basing these judgment calls on the fact the the dude had a felony in his past. A felony that he already did his time for.

The man was shot and killed by some psycho, and the psycho then let the dangerous animals loose. Period. His past felony has nothing to do with the stench you smell nor the animals being let loose.

-Alien

Wait a second. They said he committed suicide.

Now, my first thought was that it was some PETA nutcase, too.

Nobody said he didn't take care of them. The caretaker had just fed the animals on Monday, so obviously they were being taken care of.

People are questioning why he was allowed to have so many. Zoos are also refuges--why were the animals not there instead?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreams n chains

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Because it's Ohio. 'Nuff said.

Please elaborate.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I live right next door to Ohio--only about 15 or so minutes from the state line--and they have some very lax laws about a lot of things there, from the exotic animal trade to cockfighting to human trafficking and sex trade laws. (They had a bear attack there just last year, and nothing was done. I forgot about that.) It's like a free for all.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Having read through the articles, and paid attention to what all was going on in the news about this, the following can be stated:

We are not sure what happened to the keeper, as there is too many questions as to how he died, some say gun shots others day big cat, but what is known is that he is dead. And that the animals were released.

While it may seem like a shame and a waste to kill such a large number of animals, all of which are dangerous, the point being that they are dangerous, and wild animals. They do not see humans and are afraid, rather they see humans and know we are soft and easy to kill, that is a fact. The real criminals in this case, are the person or persons who released the animals in the second place and those that thought it would be cool or neat to own a wild animal like a lion or tiger.

These lions, and tigers, and bears, and wolves may seem like they are neat, and in the wild they are, but they are also very dangerous, thinking on a basic level, eat, sleep, mate, poop, and not in that order. They flee when their instinct says flee, hunt when they are hungry and ultimately, are wild in all aspects, no matter what. Even those trained to handle such animals do such and accept the risk that they could get mauled at any time. PETA, could not handle these animals, nor would any animal rights group that does not have the years of experience to deal with such. And from what the article stated, these animals were all rescues, which means someone thought they would be a good pet. Some pet, it eats the neighborhood children, and then were are you?

Tranquilizers, unfortunately would not have worked in this instance, especially with the sheer numbers and that there is the problem that most, unlike the movies, do not drop the animal when it is first shot. The animal will run, and hide, then pass out, that means the time clock is running and unless the person who shot the animal can quickly track, then subdue the animal, there is the chance it will get up, and then what is the situation? One really ticked off animal that is thirsty and hungry, and one small child, well what has greater weight, human life or the life of say a full grown tiger or lion, or bear?

The authorities acted as they could doing what they could to protect both the population and the wildlife, taking what course of action that they could at the time. This town got lucky, in this instance, that so far the only causality has been the keeper of the preserve, who is dead.

And the surviving animals that are in a zoo, are not out of the woods yet, as the zoo there has to find and place the remaining animals into other zoos. What many do not see, is the cost associated with keeping of these animals, it is neither cheap or as simple as going down to the local pet store and buying food for these animals. If you were to look at the average diet of one of the big cats, say a tiger, requires an average of 40 to 50 pounds of meat a day to keep it healthy. How long could a person keep a tiger in their home with having to provide that much meat on a regular basis?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Your claim of murder throws a new dimension into this as the reports many have read say suicide. This is an ugly enough situation without this currently unqualified twist. What is your intent to stir the pot with this information or disinformation?

Do you know how many people are really ticked off about this story? I am for one. I see this as seriously mishandled and you go off and spew this bumpkin piece of drivel into the world.

I am glad that 2 weeks from now this story won't mean squat to a tree, but right now, I'll give you credit, punk. You twisted my berries.

I am livid and am going away. Happy skateboarding.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If the guy lets the animals loose then kills himself why wasn't he eaten? Or why wasn't he eaten and not a suicide by gun shot wound person. He could have just laid down in the yard and waited for his due. It all seems a bit odd.

The 3 state zoos, local large animal vets, and local farmers all would have had tranquilizers. People could have been helecoptered in. Animals could have been resold to zoos or donated. Valuable irreplaceable animals shot.
Homeowners could have thrown a pound of hamburger out by their mail box with benedryl on it and waited for contact. Then phoned the authorities.

Truth is many Americans live with the mountain lions, brown, black bears, poisonous snakes, cyotes. There will come a time when these animals will be extinct if we don't start adjusting human behavior.

I lived next door to someone who went and bought a pit bull. I had two kids, a 3 months old and 2 1/2 years old. I was constantly on watch. We went and bought a better gun. The dog broke off its chain and ate their german shepard, then mauled the owners leg up. So, even neighbors dogs can kill people.

It is a very controversial issue of animals verses humans. There are no winners, only losers. We all lose.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

edit on 20-10-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I knew there was more to this than meets the eye, other than other members on ATS just saying it as the owners fault. Can you provide further evidence to your claim please. Thank you very much!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Are you stating I posted crap? I posted my views and opinions. If you think they are crap, that is up to you, but to me they are valid. If they were so concerned with the animals, being kept within this individuals keeping,. Then the Officials Could have removed those animals while this individual was in jail, but failed in putting those animals in care.

What ever they say, is bull, they did not act on the situation while this dude was in jail,. They are at fault over this no one else.

And they should be held to account over this.

edit on 20-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

You might think your better than everyone else in here. You are certainly not.

God made the earth for all life, not just the human race.

I certainly hope you do not have any animals in your care such as dogs or anything, I if I lived near you wouldbe reporting you to animal control.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Doesn't matter how he was killed. And you need to provide proof if you're going to claim he was murdered.Fact of the matter is he shouldn't have had them to begin with.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by e11888

Originally posted by FlySolo

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by josh2009s

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

Why should the animals be killed? Is any of this THEIR fault?

As sad as this is, you have to understand the circumstances. If you can imagine seeing 18 tigers and 17 lions all beginning their way into town I don't think there is time to react. Can you imagine what would have happened if you were standing in the street surrounded by 25 cats of prey. Children and adults alike completely unaware as they walk to the store, come home from school, work? There would have been total carnage, maulings, deaths, it would have been horrible.

What you dont understand is that this could happen right now. Mountain lions do exist in America. Bears and wolves do exist in America. People do get attacked by wild animals. It happens when you share a planet with predators. Nobody in this thread as yet been able to explain to me why the bears and wolves were killed? They exist in the area you shot them in. Whats the point of killing an animal native to the land you're trying to protect?

This is not about animal lovers. Its about killing off 1.5% of a dying species and killing animals like bears and wolves that are native to the land. These cops went on a 15+ hour safari and never once thought to call in animal control, use a tranq gun or zone off the area to attempt to bring them in alive? I call bull im sorry but I have to. This was target practice or complete incompetence.
edit on 20-10-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

You're wrong. On a couple of points. These are not your average wild species adapted to living in the outskirts of a town. These are animals raised in captivity and headed straight for town. Dude, have you ever seen a 400 lb tiger up close? Now add 16 more.

Second, they did try tranquilizers, shot one tiger with it in the dark (to no effect) and the officer had to pull his gun and shoot it within seconds of his own life. As told be Jack Hanna who was there while it happened.

I know how you must be feeling about this. But I'm sure they had no other choice. If Jack Hanna said there was nothing they could do, I believe him.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by e11888

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by josh2009s

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

Why should the animals be killed? Is any of this THEIR fault?

As sad as this is, you have to understand the circumstances. If you can imagine seeing 18 tigers and 17 lions all beginning their way into town I don't think there is time to react. Can you imagine what would have happened if you were standing in the street surrounded by 25 cats of prey. Children and adults alike completely unaware as they walk to the store, come home from school, work? There would have been total carnage, maulings, deaths, it would have been horrible.

What you dont understand is that this could happen right now. Mountain lions do exist in America. Bears and wolves do exist in America. People do get attacked by wild animals. It happens when you share a planet with predators. Nobody in this thread as yet been able to explain to me why the bears and wolves were killed? They exist in the area you shot them in. Whats the point of killing an animal native to the land you're trying to protect?

This is not about animal lovers. Its about killing off 1.5% of a dying species and killing animals like bears and wolves that are native to the land. These cops went on a 15+ hour safari and never once thought to call in animal control, use a tranq gun or zone off the area to attempt to bring them in alive? I call bull im sorry but I have to. This was target practice or complete incompetence.
edit on 20-10-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

You're wrong. On a couple of points. These are not your average wild species adapted to living in the outskirts of a town. These are animals raised in captivity and headed straight for town. Dude, have you ever seen a 400 lb tiger up close? Now add 16 more.

Second, they did try tranquilizers, shot one tiger with it in the dark (to no effect) and the officer had to pull his gun and shoot it within seconds of his own life. As told be Jack Hanna who was there while it happened.

I know how you must be feeling about this. But I'm sure they had no other choice. If Jack Hanna said there was nothing they could do, I believe him.

I'll add to this that the animals weren't just sitting calmly next to their cages. At least one driver called 911 to report a very large cat crossing the highway some distance away.

I heard on the news last night that one of the cats may have got the owner--before or after he was shot isn't clear. But there were apparently teeth marks in his skull consistent with a big cat, and he was dragged.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I just want to say that I know of dogs that can go around letting other dogs out of there fenced in yards. Just saying is it possible for like the monkey or another animal could have gone around and let the other animals out after the owner had met his ending?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Do you really think Benadryl is going to put a 400 pound lion or a thousand pound bear down ? I mean that is just stupid. When it comes to tranquilizers for animals it is very easy to kill them. The stress alone is often too much and they die. Jack Hannah said they had 4 tranq guns but that he advised the officers as did other experts to put the animals down as much as it hurt him. You could see the anger on his face during the interview and the saddness of what had to be done. Many of these animals were sick and sick with stuff that humans could catch from them like hepetatis and that is bad.

As much as I would have liked to save the animals it was getting dark and the animals could have traveled far and eventually started looking for a food source, the only way to deal with this situation was to put them down. As many animal lovers that were involved in this I can only believe that every opportunity to save an animal was attempted but Benedryl REALLY

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

And one monkey still unaccounted for...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I was stating my view of the unpleasant situation, I did not mean one persons views "are crap" I may argue, but don't condemn an individual for this or that view (99% of the time). I agree. Those responsible should be held to account. I find it disgusting when some view animals as their own personal little playthings. They are not here to "amuse us". They are here for the same reason we are, to exist. Not inflate some idiots ego with their "prize". I try to learn what I can from them, (other animals) and feel grateful for the rare opportunity to be in their presence. The situation made me angry. But I meant no personal insult. Thats not where I'm coming from.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The man's ex-wife now wants the animals back:

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

These animals are endanged because of lax laws and overhunting in their native countries because some fools think they are an aphrodesiac. Where hundreds are killed a year. A cop in Ohio is not the problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join