It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open questions to all worshippers of the christian faith

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

you seriously sound like norman bates.

father doesnt like it when you do that.

get youre own life! i know it feels good and safe to be a part of something bigger but thats where the universe steps in. you are a piece of this magnificent place and you dishonor it by making up fairy tales to believe in.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
ok, i have a question for christians too..

what is your take on this:

A God who knows the future is powerless to change it. An omniscient God who is all-powerful and freewilled is impossible.

if god is all knowing and already knows everything and what is going to happen then he can't change what happens because then he would have originally been wrong in knowing what was going to happen. if he knows that he was going to change something that was going to happen then that thing would have already been known and he couldnt change it because he already knew it was going to happen like that.

so he either isnt omniscient or freewill doesnt exist

Just goes to show how small the human mind is compared to God's mind. God knows everything that's going to happen, the problem is that you don't. For example, today you speak against God, but can you honestly say with 100% certainty that you will be doing the same 5 years from now? Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Neither you nor I can answer that with 100% accuracy, but God can.

If man knew everything that was going to happen to him then life would be crazy because all you would be doing is spending your entire life trying to dodge all the bad things that are coming up, you'd probably go insane in the process.

Freewill exist because God saw all things before they happened and despite the outcome He allowed it to play out. But you should be happy knowing that the end of the story has a glorious ending, so why complain? Unless your on Satan's side of course.
edit on 19-10-2011 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

i dont think you understand. im saying if god is all knowing and already knows the future, there cant be such a thing as freewill as he already has a plan for us hence, pre-determined.

freewill does not mesh with pre-determination.

im not trying to understand the mind of your imaginary friend im trying to say that if youre telling me he is omniscient and knows everything that is going to happen, there can be no freewill.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

i dont think you understand. im saying if god is all knowing and already knows the future, there cant be such a thing as freewill as he already has a plan for us hence, pre-determined.

im not trying to understand the mind of your imaginary friend im trying to say that if youre telling me he is omniscient and knows everything that is going to happen, there can be no freewill.

And how do you know that the plan which He has established didn't come from knowing the future? Since God knew the outcome of man and saw it beforehand? Again, the story has a happy ending.

And just for the record, my imaginary friend is beyond your comprehension as well as mine.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
humans ego's are astounding. lol

i know right?

like the human belief that we were specifically placed here by a omnipresent god because for some reason we are so special. out of all of the vastness of the universe we happen to be god's special little creations. oh ego, i love thee

Sounds like you disagree with that too.

Open your eyes and look around you ? I don't see anything challenging mankinds dominion over Gods creation.
Are we the highest level of existence ? I think the odds are against that. Looks to me like this whole universe was put together for us and That makes me feel kind of special. Without the ego. I havn't seen or heard anyone else in the whole damn universe. Just us. The fact that we are hear is miracle enough and proof enough for me that there is a Creator. You know you're as opinionated as an old man.

Another thing if you're so smart and have it all figured out ? Why don't you understand that the way you're acting is juvenile ? You ask questions if you're looking for answers. Not because you think you have all the answers.

edit on 20-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

you seriously sound like norman bates

No he reads like Norman Bates. But ya he does.

edit on 20-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

Some CONTEXT for your remarks would be greatly helpful.

I'm more than a little curious . . .

What "Christians" peed in your Kool-Aid in your youth?

Where does all this hostility toward Christianity originate from?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

reply to post by jhill76

you are a piece of this magnificent place and you dishonor it by making up fairy tales to believe in.

Evidently you are a pseudo-super-rationalist who believes nothing beyond what is tangible and

"provable" by the Religion of Scientism.

Where does this term

"magnificent" come from?

If man is nothing more than a rat, a pigeon, a radish or a rock . . . how is it that the "universe"

is more "magnificent"

than a pile of Calcutta garbage?

If ALL is a result of TIME PLUS CHANCE . . .

There's ABSOLUTELY NO GROUNDS, NO REFERENCE POINT to assess

that "A" is more MAGNIFICENT than "B"

All is arbitrary.

Yet you are pontificating as though you are some Papal Arbiter of "magnificent."

Please excuse me if I don't bow, grovel and kiss your ring.

BTW, where does this term "dishonor" come from?

If ALL is merely a result of TIME + CHANCE,

There can be NO basis on which to

'honor' or 'dishonor' "A" over "B."

All is arbitrary. It's merely a DIFFERENT component of one bit of garbage over another.

Objectively speaking, of course.

BTW, this business of 'fairy tales.'

Oh, right--the fairy tale business that in spite of ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY and the simple logic that

NOTHING COMPLEX has EVER been OBSERVED to spring from chaos . . .

you seem to have this fantasy that somehow--IN SPITE OF

ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE

things did just that . . . order sprang from chaos like Jack out of his box.

. . . .a slightly, briefly fascinating fairy tale, that.

edit on 21/10/2011 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I stated it earlier, but you bypassed it. Man doesn't have true free will, he has the perception of free will.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

I'm no christian but I can give you some responses to those:

Why go to church?
They want to hear the bible, they don't want to read it, there is probably a passage about congegating,

Why inequality?
When Adam and Eve ate a evil apple they caused disorder, we'd all equally be born into sin.

Forgiveness?
You need to repent in order to be forgiven.
This, however, doesn't explain how someone that doesn't know that they are sinning would not be forgiven. If it is said that you must knowingly sin, then Christianity has no value.

Natural disasters are caused by god, what about that?
Punish heathens? I do not think all Christians believe God controls storms.

Jesus torture?
Their God wanted to send Jesus to... guide people away from sin?
I don't understand why God would only send one Jesus, why aren't there more Jesus'?
God could create everyone their own personal Jesus (cue the song).

In all, Christianity ought to be a hard belief to defend.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Neverseenit because: adjustments

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScottishBiker420
Hi all this is my first thread,so if in the wrong section please move mods,

This is a summary of my unanswered questions to all followers of christianity,

If god is everywhere,then why do you have to go to church to speak with god?

You don't, but it's nice to get together with "friends" once a week and have things in common, learn, worship...it's a builder-upper not a burden (or at least it shouldn't be).

If god created everyone equal,then why are people born with horrific disfigurations,disabilities and other life changing illness and disease?

Picture a mother looking at her kids. That mother loves each child equally even though they are all different. Her love isn't dependent upon the actions of one over the other or how one looks, or how smart one is. I truly believe that God's design for humans was NOT disease or deformities. I believe that those things occur as a result of environmental factors as well as natural mutations that occur not only in humans, but also in the animal kingdom. Not to mention that truly wonderful things can be learned from even the most handicapped individuals. I think we should stop looking at them as some ungodly freaks and view them as beautiful in their own right.

If natural disasters are truly an "act of god",then why does god carry out these acts?

The weather is what the weather is. It ebbs and flows, it's subject to temperature changes and a whole myriad of other factors. I don't think God is up there pointing a magic wand and zapping people and places with storms or earthquakes.

If christianity is based on forgiveness,then why go to confession or try to be good in life if all thats required upon arrival at the pearly gates is a simple sorry?

That is a misinterpretation of forgiveness. Forgiveness is something you can extend to another, not to let them off the hook for what they did to you, but to eliminate the barrier that anger and hurt can put between you and God. God's forgiveness towards you is based on repentance, which is a deep sorrow for your actions, an understanding of why it was wrong, and a commitment to CHANGE. You can tell God 'sorry' all you want, but if you knowingly and blatantly keep committing the same sin over and over again, you aren't really are you. You may be able to fool yourself, and even the people around you, but the day you meet God, He will not have been fooled by what was truly in your heart.

If jesus was the true son of god,then why did god allow him to suffer,if you were a parent how can sitting by and watching that happen to your own flesh and blood not be cnsidered evil?

That, my friend, is the true miracle of God. That He considered us even remotely worthy enough to allow that specific sacrifice to happen. That He loved us enough to provide us with a way to be 'cleansed' by a blood sacrifice once and for everybody. Plus, you're looking at it from an earthly perspective, as in a human parent and a human child. Christian teaching says that Jesus was both fully man and fully God, so I think the relationship thing was a little different.

Let the drama begin!

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join