It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I get the flu shot?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Alright ATS, I need some advice here. I'm debating whether or not to get the flu shot. I've always gotten it in years past, but I'm 18 this year and my parents are giving me a choice.

On one end, I've heard a lot of nasty things about the flu shots here on ATS, but on the other end, if I get sick, my college semester is pretty much screwed. Even spending a few days out of college, my grade would probably reflect that negatively and I'd be drowning in makeup work. In a class like math, where every day there's a lecture on the next section, with practice, I'd almost certainly fail.

I realize this is a bit different than the normal objective articles posted here on ATS and I apologize in advance to any mods, but this thread could also apply to anyone who is considering getting the flu shot, not just me.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hell no. Read up on what is in those shots, and you'll make your decision.
I've never gotten one, and I do fine.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

My opinion is try a year without it. See what happens.

I do get the flue shot because I can't get sick around my elderly mom also because one year it took 3 months and a couple of hundred in doctors visits to get rid of a cold. Well maybe it was a flu virus but I remember not being able to hear all winter. Finally I broke down and got some antibiotics. I figure it is worth whatever complications to me since my immune system is pretty good shape. At 18 yours should be also which is why I say you can probably do without it for a while.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Without any health diseases such as COPD or Asthma and the fact that you are only 18 I would say
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seasons injection IS the H1N1 strain also.......

Nothing prevents the flu better than handwashing....buy some sanitizer to carry around with you, dont rub your eyes, nose or mouth without having a tissue or clean hands

edit on 18-10-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Getting a flu shot is no guarantee that you won't get the flu.

There are many flu viruses. The shot you are getting is kind of an educated guess as to what strains are going around.

A lot of people have a "mini-flu" after getting the shot.

So anyway, it may or may not make a difference if you get it. I personally never have and I don't think I've had a flu for probably 15 years.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It's up to you. The vaccine changes every year because the strain changes. Which is why you need a new one each year.I have not gotten a flu shot in years and I have not gotten the flu in years.

I don't think it will hurt you.... If you decide to. I just think its a pain in the ass to go out and get one, so I don't.

I know a lot of people who do not take medicines for colds and what not. They just let their body take over. Build up their immune systems. They think that all these vaccines and medicines actually make us weak in a way because we don't build up natural immunities.... It does make sense to me in a way....

So for what that is worth. Just trust your gut,maybe do some research into this years vaccine and then make your choice.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Well I mean, my parents are pressuring because of all the fear mongering on TV...

I just don't want to get sick.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
"the" flu shot it just another of many since the flu now mutates fast

so why bother? its like a severe cold.

buy yea, if you're an infant, elder, or have a compromised immune system ie hiv/AIDS

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rokrep69
Hell no. Read up on what is in those shots, and you'll make your decision.
I've never gotten one, and I do fine.

The flu vaccine is made up of live,weakened flu viruses, that help you to build antibodies that fight off the flue should you get it....

Which is why some people catch little mini flus from the shot and feel kind of crummy for a day or so afterward...

Is that what you don't like being in the flu vaccine? Or are you just assuming all vaccines are made up of chemicals and what not?

I mean, if you are thinking that the flu vaccine is loaded with dangerous chemicals or something you are wrong, but I can understand not wanting weakened flu virus introduced to your body....

But all they are doing with this shot is building your immunity to the virus.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Again, it's not a guarantee that you won't get the flu. IMO it's more of a cash cow for the industry. Even though the shot is targeted at a specific strain of influenza, the virus is able to mutate very quickly. This further reduces the chances that your flu show will be a match with a virus you encounter organically.

Use your judgment, but know that getting the shot is a shot in the dark.

I agree with what John Lennon was saying about letting my body build up immunities on it's own. I very rarely get sick.. I haven't missed a day of work due to illness in many, many years.

gimme_some_truth, rather.

edit on 18-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

i have asthma and i still won't get that friggin shot! i'm 27 now. i've only got the shot like twice in my life...and that was when i was younger. i've always been opposed to the doctor, even as a child. and it was never a fear of them, per se. i've always felt that i can take care of a bug alone. if i can still drive myself to the doctor...i don't go. i like to let me body take care of things.

now...if you have AIDS or have crippling asthma...yeah...go get it. but...if you're a seemingly healthy person...don't. you have a greater risk of harming yourself with a shot than you do helping yourself.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Well I mean, my parents are pressuring because of all the fear mongering on TV...

I just don't want to get sick.

Actually you can get sick from the vaccine. The flu vaccine is made up of the live but weakened flu virus,which builds up your immunity to it by creating antibodies to attack the flu,should you be introduced to the live yet unweakened flu.

It can back fire and just give you the flu though I think that is rare... But it is pretty common to feel crummy for a day or two afterward.

So for what that is worth.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

If you dont get it, like I do I usually get sick around Fall time every year no big deal really. I see it as alot better than injecting some unknown (to me) substance into my bloodstream, chances are you will not die from the flu if you drink plenty of fluids and rest. I dont let doc's give me a shot of anything because for the simple fact I do not know what is in it.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Should I get the flu shot?

Sure but before you do can i have your stereo

For real if you have a choice use it but read up on it to determine if its what you want. I dont get the shot I had the pn34 nevo blood cell from area 51 implanted 4 years ago and its killer except for the third arm

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
reply to post by Starwise

i have asthma and i still won't get that friggin shot! i'm 27 now. i've only got the shot like twice in my life...and that was when i was younger. i've always been opposed to the doctor, even as a child. and it was never a fear of them, per se. i've always felt that i can take care of a bug alone. if i can still drive myself to the doctor...i don't go. i like to let me body take care of things.

now...if you have AIDS or have crippling asthma...yeah...go get it. but...if you're a seemingly healthy person...don't. you have a greater risk of harming yourself with a shot than you do helping yourself.

I dont blame you one bit. Im a nurse and refuse to get it.....My co-workers refuse to get it.....
The one time I did get it, I was sick for 5 weeks......Never again!!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The downfall in getting a flu shot is that it has no response to other mutated strains. If I recall correctly, the shots last year were not able to deter newer strains of the flu virus (i.e the H1N1 vaccine did not protect against the A&B strains of the common flu, H5N1, and the other recombinants). They are also using attenuated (live) culture in the vaccines instead of the unattenuated version (dead cell). Besides that, the amount of mercury in a flu shot is much higher than the federal guidelines would allow. Check here for a little more info

I have not had a flu shot in years and only got a head cold last winter, and nothing the winter before that.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If you've had flu shots before and haven't suffered any harm, what is the downside to the shot?

You're in college so you didn't get autism. In fact, you've had no ill effects.

If you get sick then what will happen?

BTW, if you getting medical advice from forums like ATS then you should have your head examined by a professional.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I wouldnt/havent in more then 8 years. I havent had the flu since I have had the shot. When I was getting the shot it seemed I always would get the flu.

Also since you are a freshman in college, you will have PLEANTY of time to make up the work if you happen to get the flu.

There are other ways to prevent the flu other than the shot...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Do the 2011–2012 seasonal flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine, including multi–dose vials and single–dose units. (See Table of Approved Influenza Vaccines for the U.S. 2011–2012 Season.) Since seasonal influenza vaccine is produced in large quantities for annual immunization campaigns, some of the vaccine is produced in multi–dose vials, and contains thimerosal to safeguard against possible contamination of the vial once it is opened.

The single–dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live–attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single–dose units and does not contain thimerosal.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I never had an allergy to egg whites, ate eggs all my life up until i had a flu shot first one and the last one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join