It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Brainwashing of America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Belgarath
Some of the smartest folks I know refuse to accept the fact that they are being deceived. They think they're too smart.

That's' a very good point that illustrates exactly how successful the social conditioning really is.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It's easy to think there is some mind-controlling conspiracy at the core of this concept. Sadly... I doubt that's the case.

With respect to your belief, the reason you don't see it is because, fundamentally, you do not think like those behind the curtain. Those who plot and plan in the think tanks and foundations, for decades. They are more patient than you know and they tend to their agendas quietly like one tends to his garden.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid Those who plot and plan in the think tanks and foundations, for decades.
Sorry, but you're falling for the far too easy trap of blaming others. When you create a mysterious group of "string pullers" behind "curtains" and blame them for societal woes, you suddenly don't need to place any blame on yourself. The same tactic (I'm not saying this is you) is functioning wonderfully for the white supremacists in poor areas of the south. Now... I'm not saying there isn't elite clandestine groups with designs for managing various aspects of society for their advantage. There is enough circumstantial evidence to allow continued speculation of this theory. However, there is overwhelming actual evidence that we as a society have allowed our entertainment and art to be dumbed down to a pathetic level of something that is nothing more than instantly digestible cerebral pabulum. We are to blame because we watch the crap on TV. We are to blame because we buy the crap novels. We are to blame because we buy the crap music. We are to blame because the real artistic culture of opera, classical music, inspiring rock, art galleries, and poetry is dying a slow death of inattentiveness. (and by the way, the "elite" are still throwing bucket loads of philanthropic dollars toward these cultural institutions with little effect.) It's all "us", not "them".

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Layers upon layers of subterfuge. You dismiss what I say far too easily, SO. That's fine. Some see, some don't.

The Rockefeller loves you.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It is true that we are resposible for being glue to the TVs and we are resposible for allowing the media to dictate was on and what is not.

Yes we the parents are guilty for not providing our children with an option.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If I had kids I would allow them to watch some tv, but I would not allow them to vegge out on it. I'd say, there's the yard, God made it for you to play in.
Some folks are raised by the tv, so of course, they're gonna be mucho influenced by everything they see on it. Those who read and play sports and participate in church/other activities are more likely to think independently based on real experiences.

Someone mentioned a while back something about teaching kids about war.. you can never teach someone about war. Only war can teach you about war.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There's something else about brainwashing through television. It's a central tenet in US society. Consumerism. Everything political has been built around the nuclear family and consumption. Television is a master subliminal tool. Buy this buy that get one get three you need me... It's all about consumers consuming.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

This is what we've asked for in the form of Nielson ratings... and we get what we deserve.

Pretty much nails it...

Personally, some of the TV I watch is garbage...but I'm ok with that. Why? Because it's like candy. Sure, it's not good for me to digest all of the time, but a little fluff now and then isn't going to change who I am. I find that the tv is mostly on for background noise most of the time. Except for the rare shows I watch, I'm usually on the computer, drawing, reading a book, etc. these days.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Aha! Someone raised you right.

I think I got into politics b/c when I was a kid, in the evenings, I'd be in front of the tv on my stomach drawing.. and listening. The oil crisis, the Iranian hostage crisis, inflation, the cold war...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I agree on teaching war with you, I can only talk by the experiences of others including family members, but it is hard when its not something I have see first hand.

And for culture yes my daughter enjoy theater and concerts, yes and fine arts. Now my son he thinks it boring

Like I said it all come in the way we parents teach our children at home, the way parents are that is the way children will imitated and then behavior patterns will emerge, yes I took psychology in college.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I find ignorance blissful.... although im mostlikely already brainwashed.... I graduated...and i fear brainwashing hidden in our studies among school

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Of course there is always freedom of choice...
I've never witnessed anyone being FORCED to
watch bad TV and movies.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Layers upon layers of subterfuge. You dismiss what I say far too easily, SO. That's fine. Some see, some don't. The Rockefellers love you

Over and over in his improbable first campaign for the U.S. Senate in 1990, the 5-foot, 5-inch liberal professor Paul Wellstone would bounce up and down on the balls of his feet, jab the air repeatedly with his finger and shout that he would be a senator for the "little fellers, not the Rockefellers."
www.hispanicbusiness.com...

Wellstone now joins the ranks of other American politicians who died in small plane crashes. Another recent victim was Missouri's former Democratic governor, Mel Carnahan, who lost his life in 2000, three weeks before Election Day, during his Senatorial race against John Ashcroft. Carnahan went on to become the first dead man to win a Senatorial race, humiliating and defeating the unpopular Ashcroft posthumously. Ashcroft, despite his unpopularity, went on to be appointed Attorney General by George W. Bush. Investigators determined that Carnahan's plane went down due to "poor visibility."

One former senator, John Tower, also died in a small plane crash. Tower was best known as the chair of the Tower Commission, which investigated the Reagan/Bush era Iran/Contra scandal.
www.alternet.org...

Wonder what ole Bonesman Senator John Heinz was investigating?

But wait, theres more.

Please tell me if Im being brainwashed, sometimes these repetitions on old subject matter are required to spark the element of truth that we so lovingly deny and snicker at.

The Clinton Body Count
www.geocities.com...

"Oh shucks, its a geocities website. Never mind"

THE BODY COUNT: Bush Administration Fall-Out
www.missouri.edu...

Thats got to get me a front row seat next to the owl this time.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I have two words that will end this whole problem...... the secret held in everyones televisions.... SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah it's seems people are brain washed. Commerical media seems to show one side of things. If you look hard with non commerical media it changes your view.

The reality that the media is only being controled by select indiviudals, cooperations as they call it. Hollywood seems to push the same ideology out everyday. Have sex, drink beer, party, work earn money, look beautiful.

The music industry is the same, look beautiful, look rich, dress nice clothes. It even dictates in movies, drama shows the normality of how children, adults should deal with things.

This normality it protrays is an ideology of american's. The religion of american's. Call it secularism, captialism. This ideology is spreading like wild fire in europe and america.

You may look at the controlers of the music industry, movie industry and the television industry as priests and it's subscribers as the followers of this new religion.

I look at their ideology's they push out and it's incorrect. They try to convice the viewer that action is correct. Call it clever programming.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Like I said it all come in the way we parents teach our children at home, the way parents are that is the way children will imitated and then behavior patterns will emerge, yes I took psychology in college.

I agree with you 100%.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by project_pisces

Layers upon layers of subterfuge. You dismiss what I say far too easily, SO. That's fine. Some see, some don't. The Rockefellers love you

Over and over in his improbable first campaign for the U.S. Senate in 1990, the 5-foot, 5-inch liberal professor Paul Wellstone would bounce up and down on the balls of his feet, jab the air repeatedly with his finger and shout that he would be a senator for the "little fellers, not the Rockefellers."
www.hispanicbusiness.com...

Wellstone now joins the ranks of other American politicians who died in small plane crashes. Another recent victim was Missouri's former Democratic governor, Mel Carnahan, who lost his life in 2000, three weeks before Election Day, during his Senatorial race against John Ashcroft. Carnahan went on to become the first dead man to win a Senatorial race, humiliating and defeating the unpopular Ashcroft posthumously. Ashcroft, despite his unpopularity, went on to be appointed Attorney General by George W. Bush. Investigators determined that Carnahan's plane went down due to "poor visibility."

One former senator, John Tower, also died in a small plane crash. Tower was best known as the chair of the Tower Commission, which investigated the Reagan/Bush era Iran/Contra scandal.
www.alternet.org...

Wonder what ole Bonesman Senator John Heinz was investigating?

But wait, theres more.

Please tell me if Im being brainwashed, sometimes these repetitions on old subject matter are required to spark the element of truth that we so lovingly deny and snicker at.

The Clinton Body Count
www.geocities.com...

"Oh shucks, its a geocities website. Never mind"

THE BODY COUNT: Bush Administration Fall-Out
www.missouri.edu...

Thats got to get me a front row seat next to the owl this time.

Excellent post, Project_Pisces.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
But just saying "turn off the tv and read" doesn't cut it because all forms of media are suspect. It's not necessarily a laziness against reading, though the emphasis on that has gone way down in recent years. I think it's a lack of practical guidance when it comes to reading, both in what kinds of materials to pursue and what paths to take to follow a curiosity.

I know people who have computers and don't know how to find anything. I tell them how to get to Google and then they still give up because they don't know how to do it. I tell them there's nothing to "know" at the beginning point, just type in whatever you're interested in and see what comes up. As they use it, they get better at it and find that they are taken in all kinds of directions and it's just a matter of choosing where to go for your answers.

What I find disturbing is that many people will believe what they see on tv, but many others won't. But almost everybody I've ever known will believe it if it's in print. If it's in print, it must be true. They couldn't print it if it weren't true.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bunkbuster
That's' a very good point that illustrates exactly how successful the social conditioning really is.

you can still make sense of the lies if you're willing to search for the truth. The Internet has been our best defense against the propaganda, a place for all of us to gather and compare notes, and dissect the lies.

www.bushbodycount.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join