It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imagine that every car could be monitored 24/7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Source

New Car Technology Tells Tailgaters To Back Off

In 2009, more than 30,000 Americans were killed in car crashes. Most of those accidents were avoidable — the result of driver error.

Now, the auto industry wants to cut down on traffic deaths by using vehicle-to-vehicle communications technology...

The technology enables cars in close proximity to one another to share information wirelessly. The premise behind it is that most crashes are avoidable if drivers have enough time to react.

Ford is working with most of the world's other major automakers to turn this technology into a basic safety feature of every car...

There is one concern about this technology that the auto industry is very sensitive to: privacy.

After all, cars could soon be telling every other nearby car — and who knows who else — details about location, speed and where they've been in the past five minutes.

Wouldn't this be just the greatest thing ever? Think of all the things it could achieve!

Situations where the satellite can catch you doing something illegal and email you your ticket!

No more tailgaters. The satellite can tell if you're going too close behind someone.
No more speeding!
No more running red lights or rolling stops at stop signs.
No more Illegal u-turns. Cutting off people using the oncoming lane. Road drag races.
Sense someone who is driving under the influence of alcohol. (Irregular pattern of driving from your usual daily pattern)

ENDLESS possibilities to make the roads much much safer.

Heck you can even use it to solve crime!

Car chases, you can id the person driving right away.
Provide alibis or refute alibis.
Missing person. Track their car right away.
Hit and run situations.

Now before I get flamed by privacy concerns. Think about this.

What if your pregnant wife or teenage son or daughter gets killed by the following:

A. A drunk driver
B. An idiot that runs a red light, hits your loved one, and takes off
C. Tailgaters that have been following way too closely and ends up causing a fatal accident

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
actually, I'm all for gps tagging people
this way if someone is kidnapped, we could find them in half the time

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What if they stopped dumbing down the population, ruining the economy, released better automobile technology (perhaps remote controlled), doing away with gasoline and using H2O, made things that were meant to last a long time instead of intentionally building things that will break down to keep their profits rising.....

What if?

Let's keep adding more Big Brother to treat the symptoms instead of the root of the problems.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hey not a bad idea if used right!

Here is something I taught about a long time ago...

A full network of auto-controlled taxi cars that take you anywhere you want, at high speeds too. All controlled automatically between each other. This idea mostly for metropolitan areas, where you park your real car outside the city and then only those types of transport are working inside the city.

On rails, by electricity maybe? Although not useful in cold countries with winter.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
i wonder how soon they start shutting cars off that don't play the game

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
To have a machine monitor my movements when that machine was designed by an industry that receives preferential treatment from Government and is allowed to steal tax payer money to line their personal pockets?

My car, my property, my privacy...stay out.

No Thanks

And don't give me that tired line of 'It's for our safety'. This is the exact line that is being used to make you obey and bend over as your rights and freedoms disappear.

edit on 17-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Besides the pollutants and ever increasing FEES to operate a vehicle, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Where can I buy a horse?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
And don't give me that tired line of 'It's for our safety'. This is the exact line that is being used to make you obey and bend over as your rights and freedoms disappear.

Usually I would agree with you, but cars kill and injure more people than a lot of other things out there.

We should all use hovercrafts! When you run in another you just hit the tire

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We have been driving around for almost a century, and now we need our vehicles to communicate with each other for "saftey"

I think this is less about saftey and more about surveillance.

Just my two cents.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
We have been driving around for almost a century, and now we need our vehicles to communicate with each other for "saftey"

Just my two cents.

This is less about surveillance aswell, its about profiting from extra tickets.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0

Even more surveillance? We already have 75% of the police force working on enforcing road laws. The way cars are now, it's close to impossible to make the whole system really safe. Even a thousand years of driving experience won't help us.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It won't be long before not only the location and speed of every car is monitored, but it will also be controlled on the freeways by local computer systems. This will be done in order to maximize speed and efficiency, as well as reduce deaths. The systems are almost in place. The only thing necessary is to develop the monitoring/control software and finish the link between the GPS system and the car's gas, brake, and steering. Zooming safely along the freeways, 90 miles an hour, 1 foot apart. You can even take a nap if you want.

It's just around the corner.

edit on 17-10-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Imagine? This technology is already in effect today.
Every car can be monitored today. All they have to do is activate the chip somewhere hidden in the cars electronics. No lie. GPS locates the car or criminals who are in it. This tech has been out since 1985, when they first started making them. Each chip has a number and when the number is activated the chip turns on and the police locate the vehicle anywhere in the world.
The car can be found, unless you find the chip or the car gets burned. This thread is ignorant, they allready monitor you. Police have to have probable cause to activate a chip, then they can monitor the chip 24/7 if they want to.
Imagine if a car could be monitored 24/7. Are we, the sheeple, really that dumbed down?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xPico
i wonder how soon they start shutting cars off that don't play the game

Don't you watch t.v? On the show, "Cops?" They shut down cars all the time in some sting operations. Geez, people really are dumbed down in the U.S.A., no wonder your sheeple. You all herded in a corner. Baa, Baa,Baa.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The auto industry does NOT want to reduce car crashes. Car crashes mean car sales. If they had their way drunk driving would be legal, there would be no speed limits, and 5 year old kids could get a license.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

Why does everything have to be some crackpot conspiracy? That doesn't even make any sense. Dead people don't buy cars

Anyway, automation is the future. As much as I love driving, automation has some nifty benefits, plus it would be a LOT safer.
edit on 17-10-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
The auto industry does NOT want to reduce car crashes. Car crashes mean car sales. If they had their way drunk driving would be legal, there would be no speed limits, and 5 year old kids could get a license.

Care to link us to that interesting lobbying effort?

new topics

top topics

join