It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have your underground fallout shelter ready?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Okay, this one is a little extreme, but I found a site with a wealth of information. It has downloads for basic construction methods and a lot of explanation about how a fallout shelter works. Besides, the website is called "Captain Dave's survival center". Any relation to Daddybare?

Fallout shelters and you

While we may not have to fear thousands of nuclear warheads raining down on our centers of population and industry, the threat of a "suitcase" nuclear bomb carried into place by suicidal terrorists is more real than ever. Our intelligence agencies tell us that the Al Queda and other terrorist organizations are looking to buy or build bombs, and the old Soviet system has left thousands of trained scientists with no way to earn a living. Countries like Iraq and North Korea have nuclear weapon development programs. Even "friendly" countries like Pakistan have nuclear arsenals that may, through a coup or even an election, one day fall into control of hands that are not friendly to the U.S.

More startling information here.

Harvard studies, many politicians, and Homeland Security analysts have admitted that it's not if a nuclear attack on America will happen. Rather, it's when a nuclear bomb will hit the country. Some respected experts have even placed a timeline on the imminent event, saying a terrorist's nuclear bomb could be delivered within the next few years.

Who already has a shelter built? Is anyone still worried about this after the collapse of the soviet union?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If I could actually afford to put in the correct place in the US so that I would actually survive I probably would have one... But since I cannot afford to do so then I am pretty much just ready to die with most other people who will be dead. Really I would probably rather die then to live in a post nuclear world anyway its going to be boring and #ty with no good movies of tv shows.

I would rather see what is coming up next after death I am sure it will be far more interesting then earth and all of its crappy glory.

I just hope something happens soon because I for one am tired of waiting.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
nice site. ive got a storm cellar with some limited nbc and communications gear. someday id like to have a few shipping containers.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Not going to build a shelter: No chance at all that I would ever want to emerge from it. A world most likely totally contaminated with nuclear debris, biologicals and nerve gasses. Granted much of the latter would be rendered inert, but the nuclear side of it is not something I would want to wake up to in any future. If it comes it comes.
Why prolong the inevitable?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
For a bunch of survivalists you all are very anxious to give up. What is this give up stuff all about?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
No when my time comes prefer to meet it above ground on my feet.. Not cowering in a grave prolonging the inevitable.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Did you guys read the information? It looks like with one of these shelters we would all have a good chance of making it.

link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

That's a common misconception. Chernobyl was the biggest civilian nuke disaster we've had. And people just 10 miles from the site survived in the hundreds of thousands. Small children have grown up healthy, and people over 40 have already moved back into the area, because most of the cancers are slow growing, that if you're over forty, you'll die of old age first.

I've posted before, that if you can live 4 days in a shelter, you will emerge pretty much unscathed, and so will the everyone who took shelter.

In my opinion, that is a powerful reason to make some basic preps, if you can still look forward to a healthy life for years to come.

Seriously. I've researched this. Have you? I wrote this thread with links on how to build your own geiger counter, how to improvise a shelter, etc.

I urge the reader to keep an open mind, and learn this info on the off-chance that the future is not as grim and hopeless as you've been indoctrinated by the cold-war left to believe.

link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
For a bunch of survivalists you all are very anxious to give up. What is this give up stuff all about?

theres a big difference between surviving and idiocy .. Pointless to drag out the inevitable only to last a few days to a few months in a contaminated world cowering in a grave. Better a swift death than a slow agonising one.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm in the continental US, but terrorist surface blasts probably won't be a problem where I am. If we've irritated people enough to get a full scale war with missle attacks (plural) we're not coming out of it. Either way, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Read the article please. According to it, and what another poster just said, you will likely survive if you're 4 feet below ground. It's not going to be around for years, only weeks.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

yep even been inside government and military shelters in the past.. No thanks wouldnt want to live that way damn things remind me of fancy tombs..

Also saw what my grandparents went thru due to radiation exposure when the u.s dropped atomic bombs on japan - killed my grandparents on my mothers side outright my grandparents on my fathers side weren't that lucky and suffered from radiation related illnesses before they died.. So no thanks to any shelters better a swift death.
edit on 15/10/11 by Expat888 because: tengu dancing

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I could do it and justify it with the wife if I say it's a tornado shelter (I'm in tornado alley). The problem I have with the concept is that you'd have to have big bucks and build it to stay longterm to be worthwhile. My experience in the military has taught me to be prepared, stay mobile and be self sufficient. Not convinced yet that it's worth the $ because I may have to pull anchor and move with my stuff. Shelter isn't worth a damn when I leave.  

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Maybe I'm crazy, but a few weeks underground would be worth it to live, imo. Obviously if anyone mounts an all out war against us, and starts winning, the shelter may not do much good. I think it would be good against the more likely event of a terrorist attack though.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why yes I do. It was here when I bought the house 5 years ago. It was listed as a storm shelter by the realitor. We had to look high and low to find it. Finally we asked the family where it was. They said it isn't a storm shelter its a fall out shelter. I live in a hilly area so it blends right in. A man from the county stopped by and told me it's the only one in the county that built to government specs.

A few years ago I might of let others in if it came to the point where we had to use it. But after watching what people will do just to save a job. I know dang well they'd kill you to survive. So I guess I just don't answer the door if someone comes knocking.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Here is a separate thread I wrote on the Kearney Fallout Meter: KFM

This meter is even more useful than a standard Geiger counter, because it tracks cumulative exposure, and requires no batteries. And you build it with parts from the hardware store, that can be stored for years to be used in an emergency.

Incidentally, I believe the OP is incorrect in that you wouldn't need to be in a shelter for "weeks."

72 hours later and you could go outside for an hour an hour a day, to look for other survivors, rescue agencies, etc. After a full week you could safely walk out of the fallout zone.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

I was using weeks as a worst case scenario. Yes, according to the reading best case scenarios may only needs a few days underground. I feel slightly more worried from the scary claims made in the article, but also better that nuclear holocausts are not what I've been lead to believe that they were. According to the article a large number of nuclear weapons would be needed to make a real nuclear holocaust.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I dont think the person below me in my apartment would appreciate me diggin a hole in their living room to build a shelter

I have no money to build one, no place to build it, no money to stock it with supplies, ect...when its your time its your time this world is slowly rotting away I don't really see much point in sticking around to see whats going to happen if we were to have an all out war with someone and they actually were to nuke us or if terrorists started nuking us...

If I am meant to live and help rebuild I will still be here shelter or not.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

By the 1980s, no nuclear power was seriously contemplating total nukewar as a serious strategy. The pentagon spent lots of money on sand-table scenarios of "nuclear creep." Their concern was not a total surprise attack, but rather that a belligerant would be losing a war and use "just a few nukes" to knock the enemy off balance. Then the enemy uses a few more, so they do a few more than that, and then you have hundreds and hundreds of nukes going off on each team, over a period of months. Most of the bombs used would have been 300-500 Kilotons

Now, the most realistic scenario is either terrorists, or a developing nation, uses a stolen nuke or an improvised "briefcase" nuke. The yield is far smaller, on the order of 10-20 kilotons. Further, the combatant who detonated such a device could probably only set off a small number, in a single salvo.

So, if you were subjected to a nuclear blast, it would now be both isolated and far smaller. And thus far more survivable than in decades past.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have the perfect spot for one under my outside patio, I could put a door in the basement wall and built the shelter under the concrete slab. I'll probably never be able to afford it though. My foundation leaks bad under that side of the house so making my entire area underneath the patio would probably solve most of my leakage problems. My entire basement is underground all but for my garage door. It would be a sweet undertaking but money is just too limited.

However that first one they show is feasible my basement is narrower in the back than in the front. I could close in the narrower part with a concrete wall and built a roof on it inside my basement.
edit on 15-10-2011 by Metal Head because: blah

top topics

<<   2 >>

join