It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Black Stone of Kaaba - Worship of a Meteorite?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This November millions will make the pilgrimage to Mecca, the largest pilgrimage in the world, a religious duty that must be carried out at least once in their lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim who can afford to do so.

The gathering in the plain of Arafat symbolises the climax of the hajj pilgrimage, and in 2010 two million Muslims were at the site together on a single day.

What is less commonly known is the presence of a holy relic - literally a cornerstone - that is part of the worship. The origins of the dark stone remains a mystery to not only Muslims but geologists, scientists and historians alike.

The Black Stone is a Muslim relic, which according to Islamic tradition dates back to the time of Adam and Eve. Historical research claims that the Black Stone marked the Kaaba as a place of worship during pre-Islamic pagan times.

The Stone is a dark rock, polished smooth by the hands of millions of pilgrims, that has been broken into a number of fragments cemented into a silver frame in the side of the Kaaba.

Although it has often been described as a meteorite, this hypothesis is still under consideration.

Secular historians point to the history of stone worship, and especially meteorite worship, in pre-Islamic Arabia, and say that it is likely that the Stone is a meteorite. There is no way to test this hypothesis without removing and examining the Stone, which would not be permitted by its guardians.

In the center, Prophet Muhammad, with two long hair plaits, places the stone on a carpet held at the four corners by representatives of the four tribes, so that all have the honor of lifting it. The carpet is a kelim from Central Asia. Behind, two other men lift the black curtain which conceals the doors of the sanctuary.

There is no indication as to where this stone originated, but since it pre-dates the revelation of the Holy Qur’an and Muhammad’s prophethood, and even kissed, it must stem from the time of Abraham since the Hajj traditions are traceable to the patriarch of monotheism."

"Some Muslims are more willing to believe that the Stone itself has some supernatural powers. They believe that this stone fell from the sky during the time of Adam and Eve, and that it has the power to cleanse worshippers of their sins by absorbing them into itself. They say that the Black Stone was once a pure and dazzling white and it has turned black because of the sins it has absorbed over the years."

Fascinating!

Stone worship? Meteorite worship? Perhaps even goddess worship? This is all new to me.

Researchers have noted that the Kaaba is accurately aligned on two heavenly phenomena: the cycles of the moon and the rising of Canopus, the brightest star after Sirius. What is the significance of this I wonder?

Source

Lots of questions, not many answers.

Over to you...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I intend no offense.

When looking into this topic I've found it odd that this object of worship should have such an overtly yoni-like shape. And that it "absorbs the sins of mankind".

I've recently been doing a bit of research into the subject of oppression of women in cultures where Islam is the main religion. Is there a connection? Women are linked with sin, and castigated for that reason?

P.S. Awesome site: www.awwproject.org...

It's a site where Afghani ladies, often in secret, often anonymously, post their stories for us to read. Please visit, and support the women with positive comments. They're brave as hell, and deserve all the kudos they get.
edit on 14-10-2011 by mistermonculous because: Edit to add link.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Some say it's glass (melted sand).
Some say it's a meteorite..
Who knows.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The following was taken from the Urantia book:

1. Worship of Stones and Hills

(944.5) 85:1.1 The first object to be worshiped by evolving man was a stone. Today the Kateri people of southern India still worship a stone, as do numerous tribes in northern India. Jacob slept on a stone because he venerated it; he even anointed it. Rachel concealed a number of sacred stones in her tent.

(944.6) 85:1.2 Stones first impressed early man as being out of the ordinary because of the manner in which they would so suddenly appear on the surface of a cultivated field or pasture. Men failed to take into account either erosion or the results of the overturning of soil. Stones also greatly impressed early peoples because of their frequent resemblance to animals. The attention of civilized man is arrested by numerous stone formations in the mountains which so much resemble the faces of animals and even men. But the most profound influence was exerted by meteoric stones which primitive humans beheld hurtling through the atmosphere in flaming grandeur. The shooting star was awesome to early man, and he easily believed that such blazing streaks marked the passage of a spirit on its way to earth. No wonder men were led to worship such phenomena, especially when they subsequently discovered the meteors. And this led to greater reverence for all other stones. In Bengal many worship a meteor which fell to earth in A.D. 1880.

(945.1) 85:1.3 All ancient clans and tribes had their sacred stones, and most modern peoples manifest a degree of veneration for certain types of stones — their jewels. A group of five stones was reverenced in India; in Greece it was a cluster of thirty; among the red men it was usually a circle of stones. The Romans always threw a stone into the air when invoking Jupiter. In India even to this day a stone can be used as a witness. In some regions a stone may be employed as a talisman of the law, and by its prestige an offender can be haled into court. But simple mortals do not always identify Deity with an object of reverent ceremony. Such fetishes are many times mere symbols of the real object of worship.

(945.2) 85:1.4 The ancients had a peculiar regard for holes in stones. Such porous rocks were supposed to be unusually efficacious in curing diseases. Ears were not perforated to carry stones, but the stones were put in to keep the ear holes open. Even in modern times superstitious persons make holes in coins. In Africa the natives make much ado over their fetish stones. In fact, among all backward tribes and peoples stones are still held in superstitious veneration. Stone worship is even now widespread over the world. The tombstone is a surviving symbol of images and idols which were carved in stone in connection with beliefs in ghosts and the spirits of departed fellow beings.

(945.3) 85:1.5 Hill worship followed stone worship, and the first hills to be venerated were large stone formations. It presently became the custom to believe that the gods inhabited the mountains, so that high elevations of land were worshiped for this additional reason. As time passed, certain mountains were associated with certain gods and therefore became holy. The ignorant and superstitious aborigines believed that caves led to the underworld, with its evil spirits and demons, in contrast with the mountains, which were identified with the later evolving concepts of good spirits and deities.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
"Mom! Dad! Don't touch it! It's pure evil!"

- Kevin, Time Bandits

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
ah yes this "philosophers stone"

Was recently watching a documentary on this and other such artifacts that mistakenly used for their own religious perks lol

Most likely a stone givin idolization powers even though its prohibited , but to afraid to remove and examine it for fear of falsehood

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Muslims worship a black rock from space and sacrifice to an alien god.

They do not worship the God of the Bible.
edit on 14-10-2011 by mike_trivisonno because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If you want to learna more google saturn/cube worship

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Metaphysically, stone withholds memory when touched. Quartz, for its clear crystalline structure, is among the most ideal for "programming" in certain cases.

What came to my mind was Onyx, the jet black mineral. In connection with the mineral life, onyx has been widely known to draw negative thoughts, or mental programs from the holder.

I think that society today knows very little of the power of the mineral kingdom. Afterall, it has been said that beings incarnate into minerals & stone. Could a deity have connection with this rock? I'll let you decide..

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

So you admit there is more than one God?

How very unchristian of you!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Its interesting they have incorporated this rock from pre islamic times into their religion.
There could be a parallel with the way early christians built churches upon pagan sacred sites.

And BTW Liveforever-You have published a picture of mohammed.
That is very naughty to some.
You know what happened with southpark..

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Wrong again. Allah is the God of Abraham and Moses. That's the same guy as Christians worship.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by InshaAllah

Spot on!

Baetyl worship, a rose by another name.

Western beliefs, the Magna Marta primarily, are formed upon the same principle. I am somewhat inclined to believe that the Magna Marta, and Elagabalus's, suspiciously similar 'conical stone' were not one and the same, or perhaps, in fact, stuck together to make the stone that is worshipped in Islam.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
i liked the post...but one comment annoyed me...as i am seeing it everywhere

"it must stem from the time of Abraham since the Hajj traditions are traceable to the patriarch of monotheism."

awarding monothesim to abraham....and another claim that he links all three religions.....

well, the only prophets to link all three are adam and eve....you can give monotheism to them.....even akhenaten in egypt created monothesim

peace
edit on 14-10-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i find it odd that they dont even know what this thing is and they pray to it 5 times a day...

i mean no disrespect...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnrelentingLurker
i find it odd that they dont even know what this thing is and they pray to it 5 times a day...

i mean no disrespect...

im sure they do......i think we need to ask a "SUFI" they know these things...

to add....what do you rekon is inside the kaba....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UnrelentingLurker

They dont pray that stone or the house. The house of Allah only serves as a DIRECTION for all of them to turn to... signifies Unity.... They worship the Creator of all the Worlds...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
One of those annoying little 'huh' things in religions

Its just a black rock from the pre-islamic worship and it was probably so popular Mohammed felt it was necessary to make a concession and allowed its retention despite his intense dislike of idols.

Supernatural?

The stone was once stolen by an anti-Islamic group called the Qarmatians who raided and desecrated Mecca and took the Black Stone. Holding the Black Stone ransom they forced the Muslims to pay a huge sum for its return in the mid 8th century which they did, in a bag as they had broken it up.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Anyone else notice a odd looking face carved in the stone? Looks suspiciously like a ,emm, umm, you know.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Secular historians point to the history of stone worship, and especially meteorite worship, in pre-Islamic Arabia, and say that it is likely that the Stone is a meteorite. There is no way to test this hypothesis without removing and examining the Stone, which would not be permitted by its guardians.

It would not have to be removed or even touched to identify it as a meteorite.

A Niton XRF Analyzer would take less then a minute to tell if it was a meteorite.
www.niton.com...
www.lpi.usra.edu...

It still may not be permitted by its guardians though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join