It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese fighter jet nose-dives into field at show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

One pilot ejects to safety but another is missing, presumed dead

BEIJING — A Chinese air force jet crashed at an air show Friday, leaving one of the pilots missing and presumed dead.

Footage aired by China Central Television showed the jet sputtering and then nose-diving into a field outside the northern city of Xi'an as one of the pilots ejected from the cockpit and landed beneath an open parachute.

Only one parachute was seen opening, and the plane burst into flames upon crashing. The other pilot's seat appeared not to have ejected.

The pilot who ejected suffered only minor injuries, but his comrade appeared to have been trapped in the doomed plane, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing eyewitnesses and air show organizer, He Liang.

MSNBC Source

Well that's unfortunate. No info as to what caused the crash yet, still under investigation. Seems like I'm hearing of a lot of air show crashes recently. Are these sorts of maneuveurs all that safe for large crowds?

~Keeper

edit on 10/14/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Crowds should be pushed further back for safety. Crashes always happen, no matter how advanced our technology becomes.

That's why if aliens ever visited they might crash too. There is no such thing as perfect. All technology has limitations no matter how powerful it may be.

This jet that crashed was a Xian JH-7 "Flounder" or "Flying Leopard". wiki

It's actually quite a modern aircraft.

Quite tragic if one of the two pilots failed to eject safely.

The vintage aircraft show wreck here in the States a week or two ago was very crazy too. It hit right in front of the audience it was insane.

I really really hope people move back a little bit more, like a mile or two during advanced air maneuver demonstrations.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I always thought that was the Draw of air shows...

Flirting with Danger

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I heard the chinese military found what went wrong with the jet. MADE IN CHINA!

but my prayers go out to the victims of this crash.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That looks like a mechanical failure, the aircraft didn't seem to be responding at all.

These guys always eject so late, because they are trying to regain control, protect the crowd, and it is just hard to give up on the plane. I'm amazed one got out.

As far as folks saying to push back the crowd to make it safer. These planes are so powerful and so fast, there is no safe distance. They typically do their low passes and vertical maneuvers out over a vacant area, but if they lose control, they can accelerate or drift and land miles away from where intended. To be close enough to see the action there is no safe distance. We just have to trust the pilots to do everything in their power to keep the crowd safe, and they do exactly that, even when it means sacrificing their own lives.

These guys could easily eject at a higher altitude, but then the jet would be out of control. They typically aim the jet out to sea, or into the ground like this one, and then they eject at the last possible second.

Tragic and Heroic at the same time.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I thought that Chinese jets couldn't crash. I mean all I have heard around here is how high-tech and invulnerable Chinese technology is, or is that Iranian? Looks like they can lawn dart them along with the rest of us.

All kidding aside. I am sorry for the loss of the crewman and my sympathy and best wishes go out to his family.

As an old Air Boss said "Don't take unecessary chances. I can get another airplane. I can't get another you.".
edit on 14-10-2011 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That makes way more sense than. I can see why it would be so difficult to hav a "safe" environment with the speepd and size of these aircraft.

It also makes sense they would not eject at high altitude in fear of the plane crashing directly into the crowd or some other highly populated area.

Still a damn shame though.

~Keeper

top topics

join