It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
how quickly they forget.. history repeats.. In the 19th century it was chinese labourers who built the railroads across the u.s.. Guess easier to forget and to complain..

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by upgrayedd

Thanks. I hope so. I wanted to go to film school originally (full sail), but couldn't afford it. I am now unsure what I am going to finish my degree in. I took a break right before I had to make my direction official because although I was a creative writing major and etc I know I need to do something more sound than that and switch my dream to back up plan status. Now I'm considering trying to start a business with my brother. Really have no idea what the future holds though.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I find it quite amusing that people think that the government "creating jobs" is something that is even possible. Every job that they "create" through infrastructure maintenance is an expense, that is either financed through the banking system veiled as a "stimulus plan", or taken out of current tax revenues. Both just keep piling the debt on the american taxpayer. If the Chinese do it cheaper and up to code, you would think most of the people would be happy with that given the state of our current financial condition. Rebuilding roads and infrastructure is an EXPENSE that needs upkeep and doesn't generate income after it is finished. (unless of course it's a tollway) The real way to prosperity is to get rid of NAFTA, and impose greater tariffs on imported chinese junk. Both national and personal security were lost with the enactment of trade agreements, not with all of the terrorist bs. I seriously think the public needs to dummy up on these issues.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

the actual reason that vessel partially sank was incompetant launch procedures

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is ok, see corporate America has gotten this idea in congress that is no skilled workers in the US, so they need to bring visa workers from India and Pakistan so from Chinese firms to IT workers.

So, with 17 million unemployed in the US lets ask them how many of them are skilled workers.

When you read news like this as an American it infuriates me, then people wonder why is protest going on.

America need to keep waking up to the reality of what our nations is becoming.

The truth is as in Australia our so called fellow countrymen are being bribed and paid off to make these decisions, we are being sold out by profiteers of misery
edit on 14-10-2011 by Dr Expired because: pasted wrong link

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog

Well before you know it the Pentagon will be outsourcing US Army and Marine positions to Chinese mercenaries.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

I cannot see how THIS story is making the breaking news forums, when the simple fact of the matter is that China owns a massive share of the value of the US right now, in terms of its debts. That Chinese contracting companies are getting work in the USA as well as owning shares in a whole bunch of stuff that would have collapsed otherwise!

I would be very suprised if there was a lack of interest and involvement on the part of Chinese business in the US at this stage.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And some wonder why there are people out protesting?

The exact same thing happened in the UK. The so called British jobs for British workers were a farce, they brought in cheaper labour from Eastern Europe, so they could pay them less wages. It is an absolute scandal. I feel sorry for you guys over there.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JustXeno

Like seriously how are they going to get the money? Fight us for it

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
fact: chinese immigrants/slaves built a huuuge portion of our train track infrastructure.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Fact:They lived here, these Chinese don't.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Fact: Apples and Oranges.

Fact: This country is financially screwed whether the jobs went to the Chinese or Americans. I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but I really see no way out of this other than a total financial collapse.

Better get off the grid while you still can.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is ok, see corporate America has gotten this idea in congress that is no skilled workers in the US, so they need to bring visa workers from India and Pakistan so from Chinese firms to IT workers.

So, with 17 million unemployed in the US lets ask them how many of them are skilled workers.

When you read news like this as an American it infuriates me, then people wonder why is protest going on.

America need to keep waking up to the reality of what our nations is becoming.

Very true Marge and did you see what was in that latest "jobs package" submitted by the Obama admin? Looser requirements for bringing in H1B workers, not only on a temporary basis, but also creating a "fast track" system for gaining citizenship.

I work in IT. I was in it knee-deep in the late 90's/early 00's. I saw the effects of bringing in these clowns to do thought-critical jobs and tasks like programming and systems-administration. Back then the corporations cried "we can't find enough qualified workers in America so please please please let us bring in folks from outside countries (you know - countries with FREE education). They got their wish and we were flooded with Chinese and Indian workers who typically took jobs for 40% less than what American were used to making.

After the .com bust and the flooding of skilled IT workers both at McDonald's fry stations as well as unemployment offices, somebody decided to kill the H1B programs in their current form and the flood of foreign workers subsided. I'm also thinking (i guess I could research this if I wasn't so lazy) that there were provisions in the same bill that killed the H1B program that allowed companies to offshore IT work because that's what happened next. Programming shops sprung up in India, China and Russia like weeds and companies were able to pay a fraction of the wages they were to get work done.

Problem was however, that the work wasn't very good. New application programming projects took twice as long and were not built to spec. One thing these foreign shops lack is ingenuity. They rarely think outside the box. They're real good at doing exactly what they're told, but often that isn't good enough. Projects would come back and now companies would either scrap the thing entirely or wind up hiring an American team to go in and do it "the right way".

Ok - enough history.

Reading this last proposed list from Obama Corp, I do not see anything in there which helps an IT worker find or maintain a good job. I DO see breaks for companies by reopening the doors for an influx of cheap talent. Isn't History our greatest teacher?

edit on 14-10-2011 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm getting tired of this corporate ruse, that there arn't the right people with the right skill sets in our countries, it's just used as an excuse for corporations and big business to enjoy the benefits of cheap labour. labour that doesn't form unions and kick up a fuss over working conditions.

I saw on the news last night, British companies are using North Korean labourers in Mongolia to make their clothing. The money is not payed to the workers in wages but gets sent to the North Korean government.

Garments labelled "Designed in Scotland" and sold by a UK high street chain are being made by North Korean labour in Mongolian factories, the BBC's Newsnight programme has found.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

Fact: I find this interesting!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I'm just saying they were Americans, they came here worked very hard for very little and made something for themselves. These guys on the other hand are an infestation, They swarm in, take the work, take the money and leave us with half a**ed chinese junk. You cant depend on them to assemble a simple pocket knife so we're going to let THEM rebuild our infrstructure....thats pretty scary if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PapaEmeritus
reply to post by Gwampo

Fact:They lived here, these Chinese don't.

not quite .. They were "hired" and brought over from china to work on building the railroads. It was after the railroads were completed that many chose to stay forming communities in america.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Lets be fair to all parties. The issue for me as an American is not a Chinese one. It's an American one. Simply put, I think American workers who are out of work should be doing the work in America. If your Chinese and a citizen of The USA then come on and apply for the job...etc.. As far as the railroad const. from decades ago, were the Chinese forced to come work? Were they forced to stay? If they stayed willingly then it must have been better than leaving to go back home , right? I don't and won't blame anyone for this problem in America but The Treasonist members of Govt and their prostitutes>>>>>> ( Big Biz ) etc..Thanks for the thread. s/f

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Stinking commies taking all

our jobs!!

The contractors should be hung for treason.

Agreed. Let's make it high treason just for kicks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join