It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Celtic 'Stonehenge' located in Black Forest (based on the Moon movements!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

A huge early Celtic calendar construction has been discovered in the royal tomb of Magdalenenberg, nearby Villingen-Schwenningen in the Black Forest.

This discovery was made by researchers at the Römisch-GermanischesPress Zentralmuseum at Mainz in Germany when they evaluated old excavation plans. The order of the burials around the central royal tomb fits exactly with the sky constellations of the Northern hemisphere.

Note: Awesome photo SHOULD be here but it isn't. Please check the main article to see how it is all tied together. ENJOY!.
General plan of the early Celtic burial mound with sky constellations

Whereas Stonehenge was orientated towards the sun, the more then 100 meter width burial mound of Magdalenenberg was focused towards the moon. The builders positioned long rows of wooden posts in the burial mound to be able to focus on the Lunar Standstills. These Lunar Standstills happen every 18,6 year and were the ‘corner stones’ of the Celtic calendar.

Julius Caesar reported in his war commentaries about the moon based calendar of the Celtic culture. Following his conquest of Gaul and the destruction of the Gallic culture, these types of calendar were completely forgotten in Europe. With the Romans, a sun based calendar was adopted throughout Europe.

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

Wow. I found this and I was amazed. Calanders by the Moon? I never heard of it. Now I know why... Thanks Mr. Ceasar!

Any of you familar with the Moon calanders? Seems to me that the sun would be the better way but.... who's to say what was what back then?

What I find interesting with this find, the "orgianl Stonehenge" and this recent one noted in Austrial-as posted by a fellow ATSer the other day: Aboriginal Stonehenge - Australia www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is that it seems most cultures of years ago based everything on the Sky.... night or day. Must have been some scary nights back then... I wonder if they saw UFO/Aliens-the Celts and/or Romans.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I thought that in the last couple of years they had found evidence of a lunar temple nearby to Stonehenge? I may be wrong on this though, it could have just been a dream

There is certainly evidence of some Celtic tribes from Britain having their associations with the moon rather than the sun. I have even vaguer memories of these tribes holding more of the 'dark' sort of rituals and beliefs (worship of Cruach and the like).

Really need that time machine so we can sort these things out.......

PS, have a star

edit on 13-10-2011 by Flavian because: star giving reasons

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The Muslim or Hejira calendar is based on the 12 lunar months. The problem with moon based calendars is that they are 'short' when compared to a solar year.

Interesting discovery

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Most of the ancient people -- in fact, most people without a formal calendar -- used lunar cycles and even named them. I've seen rock art with "sun daggers" -- where an arrangement of rocks (placed or a spot created by natural holes in the rock) create a pointer of sunlight that points to a certain drawing on a certain day of the year.

Nomadic people didn't have these things, but a calendar of this sort indicates some sort of settled lifestyle where they could keep checking the calendar to time events in the year. Nomadic people generally don't need a timekeeping device, since they follow the herds.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I've seen rock art with "sun daggers" -- where an arrangement of rocks (placed or a spot created by natural holes in the rock) create a pointer of sunlight that points to a certain drawing on a certain day of the year.

That would be interesting to see. Can you get a pic?

Now that I read this article and had time to think about it.. Of course they knew the night sky... but to build a "stonehenge". Then, it would seem the rituals or whatever went on occurred at night time. Many torches and lamps I would guess.

Maybe over all, a way to fend off the night evils..... but most likely--- a heck of a lot more points of referrence I would think.

Well, most interesting never the less.

(if you get a chance check out this thread: I wanted to get your thoughts on it. Real stuff or BS!?

The Treasure Hunter's University (great info for Explorers-especially S&C America),
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Just to note that the moon can be observed in the day light. Many cultures marked the movement of the moon along with the sun, planets and stars. To them it seem to say things and it excited our interest in patters and movement - and it certainly could mark the change of seasons which was critical to them.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Good point and I wasn't thinking like that (daytime).

Star for that one.....

Again, I put things up to learn....

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Is there any mention, in connection with this anywhere else, of the worship of a living goddess? Something like Nematona? I'm in search of her. She was a beautiful, blonde woman truly believed to be The Goddess incarnate. Her most dedicated believers were a germanic tribe that lived in a deep, secluded, forested area. She was not actually a goddess, mind you, but a living false idol whose worship caused the extinction of her tribe - and the reason why the Aryan race is such a mess and mixed up with the curse of Nazism. She's an old secret that was passed down to me and I can't get to Europe to seek her out. Through my own research of legends, Nematona seems the most likely candidate. Nematona traces back to Germany and from there I am led to the mysteriousness of the Black Forest.

How did you find this?

Nosuri
edit on 15-10-2011 by Nosuri because: incomplete

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Nomadic people generally don't need a timekeeping device, since they follow the herds.

Unless they are pregnant.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

A huge early Celtic calendar construction has been discovered in the royal tomb of Magdalenenberg, nearby Villingen-Schwenningen in the Black Forest.

This discovery was made by researchers at the Römisch-GermanischesPress Zentralmuseum at Mainz in Germany when they evaluated old excavation plans. The order of the burials around the central royal tomb fits exactly with the sky constellations of the Northern hemisphere.

Note: Awesome photo SHOULD be here but it isn't. Please check the main article to see how it is all tied together. ENJOY!.
General plan of the early Celtic burial mound with sky constellations

Whereas Stonehenge was orientated towards the sun, the more then 100 meter width burial mound of Magdalenenberg was focused towards the moon. The builders positioned long rows of wooden posts in the burial mound to be able to focus on the Lunar Standstills. These Lunar Standstills happen every 18,6 year and were the ‘corner stones’ of the Celtic calendar.

Julius Caesar reported in his war commentaries about the moon based calendar of the Celtic culture. Following his conquest of Gaul and the destruction of the Gallic culture, these types of calendar were completely forgotten in Europe. With the Romans, a sun based calendar was adopted throughout Europe.

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

Wow. I found this and I was amazed. Calanders by the Moon? I never heard of it. Now I know why... Thanks Mr. Ceasar!

Any of you familar with the Moon calanders? Seems to me that the sun would be the better way but.... who's to say what was what back then?

What I find interesting with this find, the "orgianl Stonehenge" and this recent one noted in Austrial-as posted by a fellow ATSer the other day: Aboriginal Stonehenge - Australia www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is that it seems most cultures of years ago based everything on the Sky.... night or day. Must have been some scary nights back then... I wonder if they saw UFO/Aliens-the Celts and/or Romans.

All calenders that are divided into 12 are some kind of Luna calender

en.wikipedia.org...

A month is a unit of time, used with calendars, which was first used and invented in Mesopotamia, as a natural period related to the motion of the Moon; month and Moon are cognates

in English you have a month (so moon-th?) in Finnish the word for moon kuu, so October is lokakuu

edit on 16-10-2011 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I watched an extremely interesting documentary about a gold hat that was unearthed in Southern Germany. There have been five or six such hats found in the last 150 years. It dates back to 1,000-800 BC and is a representation of lunar and celestial cycles. Being pure gold the hats are very heavy, and may have been used as the ceremonial hat of a high priest or ruler used when worshipping the sun. It is possible that the Berliner Gold Hat was also used as a calendar: the symbols on the artefact would have permitted the determination of dates or periods in both lunar and solar calendars. Since an exact knowledge of the solar year was of special interest for the determination of religiously important events such as the summer and winter solstices, the astronomical knowledge depicted on the Golden Hats was of high value to Bronze Age society. Whether the hats themselves were indeed used for determining such dates, or whether they simply represented such knowledge, remains unknown.

Berlin Golden Hat en.wikipedia.org...

Mysterious gold cones 'hats of ancient wizards' www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
i wonder if this baden king and his attendents are buried with respect to the constellations.

seems like they all went in the hole at the same time though.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Howdy Fishing4truth

Originally posted by fishing4truth
Being pure gold the hats are very heavy, and may have been used as the ceremonial hat of a high priest or ruler used when worshipping the sun.

Interesting information but the hat is made of a thin sheet gold alloy and weighs less than a 1/2 kilo - but it would have certainly have been awkward to wear. I wonder if it might have been part of a pennant or similar device?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I watched an extremely interesting documentary about a gold hat that was unearthed in Southern Germany. There have been five or six such hats found in the last 150 years. It dates back to 1,000-800 BC and is a representation of lunar and celestial cycles. Being pure gold the hats are very heavy, and may have been used as the ceremonial hat of a high priest or ruler used when worshipping the sun. It is possible that the Berliner Gold Hat was also used as a calendar: the symbols on the artefact would have permitted the determination of dates or periods in both lunar and solar calendars. Since an exact knowledge of the solar year was of special interest for the determination of religiously important events such as the summer and winter solstices, the astronomical knowledge depicted on the Golden Hats was of high value to Bronze Age society. Whether the hats themselves were indeed used for determining such dates, or whether they simply represented such knowledge, remains unknown.

Berlin Golden Hat en.wikipedia.org...

Mysterious gold cones 'hats of ancient wizards' www.telegraph.co.uk...

Great hats...I followed a link in the link that you provided though, and I found this, which is even more interesting, in my opinion.

en.wikipedia.org...

As Byrd said, it is presumed that nomads had no need for 'keeping time', they simply followed the seasonal provision of resources, especially animal herds. If one had a portable time keeping device would that not allow 'man' to know when to be in a certain place for a certain time, when the herds too would be in that place? Such a device would allow peoples to meet up, for festivals and councils too of course, and enable them to join together and co-operate to build communal structures, during the transition between paleaolithic and neolithic. In Malta, a scapula bone was found incised around the edges. It has been interpreted as representing the moon, and recording it's phases and cycles over a period of time. Like those nomads still extant on the Steppes, the nomads of the 2nd millenium BC in Northern Europe, had access to modern technology via trade.

I wonder, if you are a civilisation, and your crops begin to fail, famine strikes, followed by pestilence...wouldn't it stand to reason that you would turn to natural resources? Isn't that what happened in the colonisation and exploitation of North America for example? The local tribes, managed the land, hunted responsibly, etc. Competing needs consumed that way of life, due to technological, and intellectual advancement giving them the edge to basically screw the 'simple' people over. The conspiracy theorist in me, kind of wonders if such calendars allowed some to simply predict when the herds would move and where and cut them off before they reached 'the happy hunting ground'. Thus cutting out the hard work. Those 'barbarians' seeing year after year less of the herd returning, must have eventually had their curiousity piqued and thought to send out parties to find out what was going on. When their semi-domesticated crops or stores, had been decimated, they would have known where to send the ravenous raiding party.

Or in reverse, as in the Epic of Gilgamesh, when the breeding stock needs genetically revitalising, due to infertility caused by overly inbreeding, Gilgamesh sends for the 'wild man'. The wild man not only has the skills and lost knowledge required to capture a wild bull, but also, to provide new genetic material to the human stock. A domesticated wild man, is the revered Hunter, Orion. Every early civilisation, eventually, seemingly needed one.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Nice contribution KilgoreTrout.

One very interesting aspect of every ancient culture was their obsession with the stars and their advanced astronomical knowledge. So many ancient cultures oral traditions seem to center around visitations from star beings, or ETs. I used to think that so much of indigenous peoples belief systems were pure fantasy or the result of hallucinogenic mushrooms. But now, I believe the petroglyphs, legends and oral traditions from around the world are based on actual events that were experienced and the impact of that was so great on the indigenous peoples that it became important for them to record or remember it in some way for posterity. Clearly most people these days don’t have the curiosity or interest to sit under the stars watching and diligently record what they see. I remember driving through the Utah Mountains at night, when I decided to pull over to stretch my legs at an out of the way observation point. It was nearly pitch black and when I looked up into the sky, I was flabbergasted to see the Milky Way with my naked eyes. I had always imagined that it was so far away that only high powered telescopes could see it. But no, there it was stretched across the heavens for anyone to see. I recall the sky seemed alive with life and possibilities when I saw just how many stars are actually up there. Imagine living in 2,500 B.C with no modern distractions like TV; wouldn’t it make sense that the best things to observe were the heavens? Add to that, ETs giving mankind advanced knowledge about the stars and constellations makes it all come into focus for me now. So many things that I used to think were fairly tales now seem to have their basis in actual events.

'The oldest image of a star pattern, that of the famous constellation of Orion, has been recognised on an ivory tablet some 32,500 years old.' (BBC - Science/nature) Early mankind clearly had obsessions with certain star systems like Orion and Sirius/ Here’s a link outlining much of early man’s worship of Orion; Link- www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Below I've assembled information with links to several sites that clearly demonstrat how ancient man's celestial awareness was global.

Passage Mounds Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Chaco Canyon in New Mexico Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
PBS Special: The Mystery of chaco Canyon Link - video.pbs.org...

Ancient Mayan Sky Watchers Link - www.authenticmaya.com...

Ancient Astronomy Lik - www.sir-ray.com...

32,000 BC - Lunar notations found on remains in W. Siberia. (Ref: Science CXLVI, Nov 6, 1964).

22,000 BC - Artefacts to record the solar year and phases of the moon from Ma'alta, Siberia.

The 'Venus de Laussel', France.
The 25,000 year old 'fertility goddess / mother-earth' figure from Laussel, near Eyzles in France, was painted in red ochre and holds a crescent-conch shape with 13-lines on it. It has been suggested that the 13 lines on the conch refer to the 13 lunar/menstrual cycles each solar year. The object is currently on display at the Bordeaux Museum.

9,000 - 8,000 BC - Bone plaque with lunar notations from Grotte Dutai, W. France.

6,500 BC - Engraved bone with lunar notations from Ishango, Congo.

5,000 BC - Goseck, Germany - Currently the oldest known solar observatory in the world. Located on the same Latitude as Stonehenge and 12° to the east. This recently restored Henge monument demonstrates an awareness of the solar cycle, and the simple step required to mark the day end/start point of each cycle. The two southern entrances would have illuminated the centre at both the rising and setting sun each winter solstice (the wooden posts reduce the beam of light to a narrow shaft). Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

4,700 BC - Carnac, France: The Kerkado passage mound was built aligned to midwinter sunrise. Link 1 - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
Link 2 - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Nabta Playa, Egypt: c, 4,500 - 4,000 BC.
The 12-foot-in-diameter stone circle contains four sets of upright slabs. Two sets were aligned in a north-south direction while the second pair of slabs provides a line of sight toward the summer solstice horizon. Because of Nabta's proximity to the Tropic of Cancer, the noon sun is at its zenith about three weeks before and three weeks after the summer solstice, preventing upright objects from casting shadows. The vertical sighting stones correspond to the zenith sun during the summer solstice. Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

3,500 - 3,000 BC - Malta. Several temples orientated to astronomically significant moments of the solar and lunar cycle. Discovery of pottery with astronomical marking on. Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

One very interesting aspect of every ancient culture was their obsession with the stars and their advanced astronomical knowledge. So many ancient cultures oral traditions seem to center around visitations from star beings, or ETs. I used to think that so much of indigenous peoples belief systems were pure fantasy or the result of hallucinogenic mushrooms. But now, I believe the petroglyphs, legends and oral traditions from around the world are based on actual events that were experienced and the impact of that was so great on the indigenous peoples that it became important for them to record or remember it in some way for posterity.

I kind of, did a thread about this, from another perspective so to speak. It’s not the most thrilling read, more really just my notes that I tried to hammer quickly into a thread…but I make some interesting connections…

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Our ancestors, as far as the direction of my reading has taken me, were as soon as they were able, documenting all sorts of occurrences, by the 5th century BC, if we are to judge by the seeming indepth instructions that were issued following consultations of the Sybilline Books, the activities of Earth and the celestial world, were seen to operate in conjuction, and were reasonable predictable by those, like the Sybils and Oracles, who were trained to read the signs, and use the knucklebones to consult their oracular verses, which must have been passed from generation to generation. What is equally clear, is that once removed from ‘nature’ and encased by the security of city walls, most peoples became very fearful of nature, and more reliant on authority to take responsibility for interpreting the ‘unknown’. The Sybilline Books were most often consulted at times of crisis, and especially when events such a meteorites and earthquakes occurred, within close proximity, causing widespread panic.

Clearly most people these days don’t have the curiosity or interest to sit under the stars watching and diligently record what they see. I remember driving through the Utah Mountains at night, when I decided to pull over to stretch my legs at an out of the way observation point. It was nearly pitch black and when I looked up into the sky, I was flabbergasted to see the Milky Way with my naked eyes. I had always imagined that it was so far away that only high powered telescopes could see it. But no, there it was stretched across the heavens for anyone to see. I recall the sky seemed alive with life and possibilities when I saw just how many stars are actually up there. Imagine living in 2,500 B.C with no modern distractions like TV; wouldn’t it make sense that the best things to observe were the heavens? Add to that, ETs giving mankind advanced knowledge about the stars and constellations makes it all come into focus for me now. So many things that I used to think were fairly tales now seem to have their basis in actual events.

The trick is not to replace the old fairy tales with new ones. While I am not averse to the idea of extraterrestrial contact in terms of visitations, I by no means see it as necessary, or in fact as explaining our collective history. And more importantly if you study the mysteries, with our modern knowledge, particularly the earlier stories of Dionysus, and his shredding by the Titans, it is, to me, all the more fascinating that, if you read my thread linked above, how they may have actually understood or ‘known’ much more about our origins than we can possibly do so with our retarded data fed brains.

'The oldest image of a star pattern, that of the famous constellation of Orion, has been recognised on an ivory tablet some 32,500 years old.' (BBC - Science/nature) Early mankind clearly had obsessions with certain star systems like Orion and Sirius/ Here’s a link outlining much of early man’s worship of Orion; Link- www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

I’ve mentioned Orion on another thread today…it is an interest of mine. The Northern Cross is another very important one, mythologically. In early Crete, pre-Greek settlers, clearly associated Orion with the Mother Goddess, symbolically.

Passage Mounds Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Chaco Canyon in New Mexico Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
PBS Special: The Mystery of chaco Canyon Link - video.pbs.org...

Ancient Mayan Sky Watchers Link - www.authenticmaya.com...

Ancient Astronomy Lik - www.sir-ray.com...

32,000 BC - Lunar notations found on remains in W. Siberia. (Ref: Science CXLVI, Nov 6, 1964).

22,000 BC - Artefacts to record the solar year and phases of the moon from Ma'alta, Siberia.

The 'Venus de Laussel', France.
The 25,000 year old 'fertility goddess / mother-earth' figure from Laussel, near Eyzles in France, was painted in red ochre and holds a crescent-conch shape with 13-lines on it. It has been suggested that the 13 lines on the conch refer to the 13 lunar/menstrual cycles each solar year. The object is currently on display at the Bordeaux Museum.

9,000 - 8,000 BC - Bone plaque with lunar notations from Grotte Dutai, W. France.

6,500 BC - Engraved bone with lunar notations from Ishango, Congo.

5,000 BC - Goseck, Germany - Currently the oldest known solar observatory in the world. Located on the same Latitude as Stonehenge and 12° to the east. This recently restored Henge monument demonstrates an awareness of the solar cycle, and the simple step required to mark the day end/start point of each cycle. The two southern entrances would have illuminated the centre at both the rising and setting sun each winter solstice (the wooden posts reduce the beam of light to a narrow shaft). Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

4,700 BC - Carnac, France: The Kerkado passage mound was built aligned to midwinter sunrise. Link 1 - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
Link 2 - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Nabta Playa, Egypt: c, 4,500 - 4,000 BC.
The 12-foot-in-diameter stone circle contains four sets of upright slabs. Two sets were aligned in a north-south direction while the second pair of slabs provides a line of sight toward the summer solstice horizon. Because of Nabta's proximity to the Tropic of Cancer, the noon sun is at its zenith about three weeks before and three weeks after the summer solstice, preventing upright objects from casting shadows. The vertical sighting stones correspond to the zenith sun during the summer solstice. Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

3,500 - 3,000 BC - Malta. Several temples orientated to astronomically significant moments of the solar and lunar cycle. Discovery of pottery with astronomical marking on. Link - www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

Don’t you think though that there is this distinct relationship with the night, the stars and the moon, that is eventually usurped by the blandness that is sun worship? Did we become scared of the dark at some point and why? It takes a long time for a blanket takeover, but, for example, right up until the 16th century in England, on May day, by the light of the moon, all the rural folk would pair off and go copulate in the fields to ensure the seasons fertility, for that time, even marriage vows were flexible if one or the other wasn’t up to the job. By the end of the 16th century such practices would incur a charge of heresy, or as worse, witchcraft. I am reading Monkey by Wu Cheng’en which documents a whole collection of celestial gods at about the same period, as well as a hunter (Orion?) who helps Trypitaka through the danger of the mountains and their wild beasts. It is not unlike Homer’s Odyssey in many respects, just told in a way relevant to Wu’s audience, that is the nature of stories, and why they were valued as a trade commodity.

May day would be proceeded by the symbolic castration of the Universal Goddess’s son/lover by the cutting down of a tree, paraded and erected with great celebration for everyone to dance around. And he would in due course be resurrected in new growth by her celestial love. Both sun and moon were given equal weight, and symbiosis in creating new life. Which is the actual case, we need both the moon and the sun to create life on this planet, we’re a trinity, our destinies entwined. Most of our earliest stories detail the ‘adventures’ of the stars, but where those stories were born is often a very, very long way from where they died out, and it is often hard to find context in the local environment, because life on Earth is mutable, and constantly changing due to elemental exposure. I would have thought when moving to a new place, the earliest settlers greatest priority would have been to establish their link with the heavens, for comfort in part I suppose, but more importantly, for planning their growing season.

top topics

join