It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Olympics are over!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Its all over! As Athens bids farewell to the Games I am sure some of you are hanging your heads for thinking something devistating was going to happen.

I know I sure was.

Besides a few drug scandals, and angry priests, it was a complete success.

I sure that some deserve to say the worst four words "I told you so."

Anyways, thank god nothing has happened, see you again in four years.

Anyone have any further comments?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You forgot the near miss.

I canadian terrorist in a tutu almost made several people laugh themselves to death.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The US took home the most medals (again) further prooving our dominance in everything
despite some lack luster efforts by certain profesional athletes *cough * BASKETBALL!!!!! *cough*

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
In 2001, the preparations for the Athens Games were going so badly that the International Olympic Committee was considering asking Sydney to host the Games a second time in 2004.

The games Athens hosted were almost perfect, the opening and closing ceremonies delightful. All I can say is, congratulations Athens!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
ok so when and where are the winter Olympics going to be? I'm glad to see the Olympics didn't have a successful terrorist attack. I wouldn't expect to know if any attempted attacks were made or not.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I thought the biggest shocker was the Mens Basketball. When I saw they lost for Argentina and could leave with Bronze at best I couldn't believe it!

IMO, Serbia Montenegor woulda won Gold in Mens Basketball had Peja Stojakovic and Vladi Divac played with them...

I felt bad Phelps didn't get his 8 Gold medals, but I guess having 6 is better than none. BTW, If you saw a commercial where Phelps swam in a pool, got out and grabbed a cell-phone ( Phone commercial for AT&T I believe) The pool he was swimming in was the pool at my HS. I guess they chose our pool since it's here in the Springs where the Olympic Training centers are.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The next Winter Olympics are in Torino, Italy, in 2006.

Then afterwards it's Beijing 2008 for the Summer Games, and Vancouver 2010
for the Winter Games.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The Athens Olympics were pretty damn awesome. With all the excitement, I can't wait for 2006.

The US once again proved they have a system in place that gets the job done when it comes to training its athletes.

The old-Soviet system utilized by China seems to be working great for them. I'm sure they'll thoroughly own everyone in 2008.

Russia, despite early failures, eventually found its game. The only problems they faced were the abysmal Gymnastics performances, which probably left a slight crinkle on the image of Russians dominating gymnastics. The swimming wasn't too good either. But, being competitive, game-loving people, I'm sure they will develop a system they can use successfully.

And the Greeks were great. I just feel sorry for them being left with a $1.5 billion bill breathing down their necks. I can only hope they pay off the debt somehow.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
ok so when and where are the winter Olympics going to be? I'm glad to see the Olympics didn't have a successful terrorist attack. I wouldn't expect to know if any attempted attacks were made or not.

Na, it's too cold for desert terrorists to brave the winter ice and snow.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
The US took home the most medals (again) further prooving our dominance in everything
despite some lack luster efforts by certain profesional athletes *cough * BASKETBALL!!!!! *cough*

Unfortunately the former USSR thrashed the USA in the medal tally. Why, just look at the performance of just Russia, Ukraine, Belyarus and Georgia alone.

It seems the Russian empire is happy to quietly dominate world sports year after year...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Its over ?

Actually, the only reason I knew it was on was because of the cartoons Google displayed in their search engine. What a boring old pile of
it is.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
1 U.S. 35 39 29 103
2 China 32 17 14 63
3 Russia 27 27 38 92
4 Australia 17 16 16 49

games.foxsports.news.com.au...

HEheh. Australia has 20 million people.

If Australia had teh same amount of people as the Americans (about 280 million), Australia would have ... 490 gold medals ;P
If the same as china.... 1105 gold medals ;P

ROFL!

It's not about quantity, it's about quality ;P

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I for one will miss the yanks going up against the aussies in the pool. What a pity the yanks dont play cricket what a great rivaly it would be.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
1 U.S. 35 39 29 103
2 China 32 17 14 63
3 Russia 27 27 38 92
4 Australia 17 16 16 49

If Australia had teh same amount of people as the Americans (about 280 million), Australia would have ... 490 gold medals ;P

ROFL!

It's not about quantity, it's about quality ;P

couldnt argee more.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Since we're talking about Olympics
Where are the 2012 Games going to be held?
I heard it was going to be Leipzig.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
1 U.S. 35 39 29 103
2 China 32 17 14 63
3 Russia 27 27 38 92
4 Australia 17 16 16 49

Yeah, the per-capita ranking shows the US at number 34, behind it's enemies France and Germany.

Australia finished near the top no matter how you look at it.

Russia did very well too, earning almost as many medals as the US with less than half the population.

China had some good performances but should have been able to earn more medals with that huge population to draw from.

Here's the per capita medals list:
AusStats medals per capita

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It seems the Russian empire is happy to quietly dominate world sports year after year...

They're in it for the same reason all the other countries including the USA are - competition and getting the most medals.

You can't expect Russian athletes to deliberately perform less to make sure the Americans get more medals

AtheiX - the candidacies for 2012 are Madrid, Paris, London, Moscow and New York City.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

AtheiX - the candidacies for 2012 are Madrid, Paris, London, Moscow and New York City.

And the IOC hasn't chosen yet? I thought the organiser city was chosen earlier.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I would love to see NYC get the 2012 olympics.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
I would love to see NYC get the 2012 olympics.

Actually Moscow is a really nice place to hang out these days

I swear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join