It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash Transactions Banned on Used Goods in Louisiana!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
You have to wonder WHO got rich writing this law?

That's the deal.

Another scam.

The same ones will now get richer when the legal fight starts.

Enforcement will only be possible if:

1. "see something say something" rat out, with pictures to prove the point. The rats get a finders fee.

2. set 'em up by way of entrapment. "Invite" someone to pay cash and get a discount to buy a "marked" item. But then the "trapper" needs immunity for partaking in the "illegal" transaction in the first place

Sounds to me like whoever thought of this is on drugs....or were.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
My Oxford English Dictionary defines the noun form of "Junk" as (emphasis mine) :

1 informal old or discarded articles that are considered useless or of little value.
• worthless writing, talk, or ideas: I can't write this kind of junk.
2 informal heroin.
3 the lump of oily fibrous tissue in a sperm whale's head, containing spermaceti.

A dictionary defines the most commonly accepted and employed use of a particular word. This so called "law" specifically uses the word, so I think you Louisiana folk can continue to sell used goods for cash so long they are not "useless", "heroin", or emanating from a sperm whale's head.

That still leaves things fairly open. Since the junk status of any given item is, by definition subjective, there is very little leeway for a court to enforce this idiocy. Any number of witnesses could be called by the defense to confirm that the so called "junk" has value and usefulness to them.

What will they do the the US Dollar itself is universally recognized as being JUNK?

Whoever concocted such a poorly defined law could do with some spermaceti!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Laws like this accomplish one thing for sure: creating more, and or bolstering already thriving, sub culture markets: like loan sharks who dont ask questions... or so called "rock rentals" from crack heads.

Of course "the man" will put a well publicized hammer down on some poor garage sale sap.. complete with goons wielding military weapons & garb.. along with the orange jumpsuit & chains perp walk photo op.. maybe an enlightened ATS type will infiltrate the jury and vote 'NOT GUILTY'.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Seriously, WTF is wrong with this country? This is not the America I grew up in even if it was headed that way, it's not the America my father, his father or his father before him grew up in and loved. Long are the days we have strayed from patriotism and into the depths of spite we have waded.

Much like a torrid love affair after it's peak, we now who once loved so passionately and furiously find ourselves on the other side of the fence. I am American, I am now and I will be the day that I day. The government doesn't choose what America is, the people and the land decide that.

Before the end, they will realize this, I think it will be too late.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
How do you think the German citizens felt about the Nazi party? Do any of you think they may have felt the same way your average well informed American citizen feels about American government right about now?

The systematic stripping of Constitutional rights and freedoms are steps, they are steps that lead to a landing and that landing in question is tyranny. The disarming of lawful citizens is a prescribed ingredient of rampant, desperate government, the start of which is hard to slow much less stop.

We have embarked, sadly I may add on an inevitable journey down the road of a major world dynasty shattering. It has happened, many, many times in the past as super powers have rose and eventually fell, the only difference is that none of us were here to see it, we have only read about it in books. For us, it's all to real.

Embrace the silver lining, we are all going to be a part of history books, assuming we still have any in 20 years anyway. This isn't going away and it is going to get alot worse before it even remotely starts to get better. Better strap in and find your inner self, turn off CNN and FOX news and educate yourself in reality.

Wake up people......
edit on 13-10-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Thats not junk, its TREASURE!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
well this is just nuts .. its ok busting down the poor to a point they gotta sell their stuff in the first place and now this.

what kind of society are they trying build here ?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by seachange

Cash Transactions Banned on Used Goods in Louisiana!

www.sott.net

"A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property..."

I wonder who they think is going to obey this law? What a joke.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If I am reading this correctly I think it is meant that scrap or junk dealers can't pay you cash for unwanted items like scrap metal or junk cars. They have to reimburse you with a check, mo, or debit style transaction. I know in GA we have had a huge uprising or minors and adults alkie stealing scrap metal from around and off of people's homes. This law makes it easier to catch those types of sales. It says dealer, not user. If I purchase something from a garage sale I am buying it for personal use.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Think even deeper. This means that every back yard or garage sale is expected to pay into having credit cards and a debit machine.

Obviously here is the way around this: SAY NO. Phone in and talk firmly. Repeat the phone call. Put it in writing.

Organize many used events, and stand by each other. If one gets a fine or whatever, EVERYONE SHOWS UP AND DEMANDS RELEASE, if by chance anyone got arrested. AND STANDS UP IN COURT TO SAY NO & WE ARE ALL DOING IT. And don't ever pay, never back down. Support each other 100%.

Do that with all of them.

Don't elect anyone on any ballot. Run your own citizens. Look for those who don't beleieve in the current laws or drug laws. And also, support them, form human protection on them because they will be targetted. Refuse everyone they put at you, they are 100% traps.

Just remember when you tell them no, you go on the names lists.

When you protest your name and face goes in the database.

At this time your safest bet is just to go about business as normal
and deal with ppl who ignore this stupid law.

Taxing items "again" that have already been sold once is moronic.

Anyone who wants to see your driver's license to buy a couch off craigslist
just laugh and hang up, and buy one from someone else.

Or better yet go to freecycle and get one for free.

Drive around on big trash day in your city and pickup a few couches right
off the curb, the maps are on your local util website.

Starve the beast, buy used whenever you can.

It helps your neighbor vs. the big corporate whores and the government puppets owned by them.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Really beginning to think that returning to the good ole barter system.
I have been doing it for sometime now,and it's going pretty good.
Staying below the governments radar seems like the direction our society needs to go.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself:

www.irs.gov...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As a resident of Louisiana, I have to say this is the first I've heard of this. I can all but guarantee you this will NEVER be inforced. Besides it being illigal, it would for all intents and purposes shut down the French Quarter. Not to mention, it's printed right there on the front of all US currency.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
how absolutely disgusting that the US can get away with this.

to the poster that asked who pays for ebay purchases with cash, i do. i can't stand paypal, and most people are happy to give me their account details in order that i pay cash into their accounts. it's instant and it saves them the bother of having to transfer. and it's the ONLY way i pay.

i'm disgusted that your rights are being taken away bit by bit and that i have no doubt it'll be in the UK next if it's not stopped.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
When the British tried this crap in New England they dug tunnels under their cities and did business there, below British oversight.

History just repeats itself.

The future of America will be underground. Get to diggin'.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Here's the answer - we'll call it the "Paper Clip" solution.

The Garage Sale, Yard Sale or Flea Market Operator encourages folks to keep a poket full of paper clips. When they find an item they like they simply barter a paper clip for the item in question and make a gift or donation to the Operator. The Operator can even file simple paperwork to have themselves declared a non-profit or a "church" organization which is tax exempt.

Screw the Tax Man.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Another useless law, really. who is going to enforce this one?

People will continue to sell used second hand junk for cash. You can pass a law, but if there is no one to enforce it, what good will it do? I can post tons of items on craigslist, how will they prove I sold it to them? I can say I just threw it away because no one bought it. Or who will they prove I bought it with cash.

what a joke.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It really boils down to...

Who would refuse cash on hand?

Is the Louisana State government now going to set up Antique shops with a sting in mind? Seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

But then again, there is always that neighbor who is mad or jealous of you to keep in mind, isn't there?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I just wanted to cue in with a question, why is it that once tax has been paid on an item, it can be collected a second time by the government. It was never the case for me in canada, shopping on ebay or finding sellers and meeting them to pay cash, as well as with craigslist, never paid for a thing with my debit card haha. But with things like houses and when we buy used cars, even when I gave my car to my sister, she has to pay tax on its list price regardless of the fact that tax has been paid already.

Why is this? I am not ranting so much as actually curious why they have this perceived 'right' to collect taxes twice, three, four times on an item that has already been taxed.

is there something I am missing

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
how absolutely disgusting that the US can get away with this.

to the poster that asked who pays for ebay purchases with cash, i do. i can't stand paypal, and most people are happy to give me their account details in order that i pay cash into their accounts. it's instant and it saves them the bother of having to transfer. and it's the ONLY way i pay.

i'm disgusted that your rights are being taken away bit by bit and that i have no doubt it'll be in the UK next if it's not stopped.

That is still an electronic funds transfer. You gave the money to a bank. You didn't hand the seller paper money with no record of transaction.

This law is a stupid way to record all transactions.

Up and comming politicians are encouraged to write bills and pass laws in order to "get their names on the books".

This is why we have so many stupid laws that are clearly a waste of money and time.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Time to vote with your feet Louisiana. This law is beyond retarded. How is it even enforceable? Hank Williams Jr. is correct. This has become the USSA!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join