It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash Transactions Banned on Used Goods in Louisiana!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Cash Transactions Banned on Used Goods in Louisiana!

www.sott.net

"A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property..."

"They must also make a detailed description of the item(s) purchased and submit this with the personal identification information of every transaction to the local policing authorities"
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: fixed spelling in title

edit on 12-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The law does not specifically name flea market and garage sale shoppers, but certainly makes no exception for them. If you buy more than 1 thing per month at a garage sale or Craigslist then the law applies to you in Louisiana. Call me naive but this story shocked me. Federal Law does nothing to stop this stuff just like the constitution seems powerless to stop much of anything at all. In specific, Federal Law is supposed to make it so that US Dollars are payable "For all debts, public and private". But that law is really only actually used to crush competition to the US Dollar!

So if you buy on Ebay or Craigslist in Louisiana more than once a month then you've got to report on who sold you the things to the government. You cannot pay them cash. You must collect their drivers license number as well.

Normally when I post something like this it turns out to be a baseless rumor, so I went ahead and did a little bit of digging. Actually the law is as draconian as reported. The law passed June 1, 2011 and can be seen at:
www.mygov365.com...
and the "passed" status can be seen at:
www.mygov365.com...

The actual law text also includes the following text:

To amend and re-enact... to prohibit the purchase of junk from minors

So, minors cannot sell you something at a garage sale or flea market. Therefore you have to demand everyone's ID if they appear under age 30 if you are to buy more than one thing at a flea market or if you are a vendor and want to buy from a seller.

To amend and re-enact...to require a statement of ownership from the seller; to provide that the failure to obtain the statement shall be prima facie evidence of fraud

So, if you buy something from someone at a Louisiana flea market and don't get a statement of ownership from them, then that is evidence you are committing fraud.

Page 2 Line 16 indicates that when the law says "junk" it means everything that most people would call "junk".

Page 6 Line 18 states that any violation must carry a penalty of at least 30 days in prison.

Third time offenders get up to 5 years in prison. All offenses seem to carry a financial fee as well so the state can collect lots of money... up to $10,000. So if you have three garage sales in the state where you collect cash (selling your friends things for example), you could be facing $10,000 in fines plus 30 days to 5 years in prison.

The laws only exception is strangely enough for certain pawn shops, and also for people who buy only one thing a month such as buying one used item on Craigslist per month. But if you buy two or more items, then according to the law you will have to get at least 30 days in prison and probably (and more importantly to Louisiana) a bunch of money to the state if you pay cash.

I strongly suggest people start looking for an escape to all of this. Personally I do what I can to help out the Free State Project which has yielded very encouraging results so far.

www.sott.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-10-2011 by seachange because: Replaced sell with "buy" on a line.

+48 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Since I'm not allowed to purchased that doohicky thingamabob that I really want from you with real money, I'll trade you this really super cute little teddy bear that I bet is worth at least as much, in trade, as you want for that thing, considering that the inside stuffing of this reallys super cute teddy bear is made up of all these strange pieses of paper that have numbers on them.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I can see this spreading to other states
in a jiffy. Once you are considered a
dealer you have to pay taxes on what
you sell. I think that is the reason for
the law - they want more money for
items that have already been taxed.
So many people supplement their
income during these difficult economic
times by selling an item they have
had around for a while. They are taking
food from children and worse passing
laws such as this. Children love helping
their parents have yard sales, they learn
about money and sales. They have fun
with the lemonade stands - this country
is just chopping down on every one and
everything except for the things they should
be concentrating on.
By not using cash the seller will have
to report everything sold second hand.
Oh where are the good old days when
you could sell your old sewing machine
to put food on the table or pay a bill
until you got paid. The days of trade
are gone!
edit on 12-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Isn't any different then them imposing sales taxes on internet purchases from out of state.
The states are struggling for money,starved by the Feds,so they are looking into anyway avenue to get more money.

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Think even deeper. This means that every back yard or garage sale is expected to pay into having credit cards and a debit machine.

Obviously here is the way around this: SAY NO. Phone in and talk firmly. Repeat the phone call. Put it in writing.

Organize many used events, and stand by each other. If one gets a fine or whatever, EVERYONE SHOWS UP AND DEMANDS RELEASE, if by chance anyone got arrested. AND STANDS UP IN COURT TO SAY NO & WE ARE ALL DOING IT. And don't ever pay, never back down. Support each other 100%.

Do that with all of them.

Don't elect anyone on any ballot. Run your own citizens. Look for those who don't beleieve in the current laws or drug laws. And also, support them, form human protection on them because they will be targetted. Refuse everyone they put at you, they are 100% traps.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
For every law, there is a loophole. If you sell enough stuff to warrant it, turn your little enterprise into a non-profit organization. It's a farily easy process and it gets you around that law. I'm thinking it was made to help curb the sale of things like ammonium nitrate that can make bombs and other types of explosives. You can't track people who pay in cash.

On the surface, this law may sound restrictive, but how many people do you know who try to pay for e-bay purchases with cash? It's impossible really. And garage sales? How are the Feds ever going to know about how things that are bought there? This is just another case of the Feds doing something that they think is constructive, while it's really just busy work for them so they can say that they do things while in office. It's also a good case in point that while this may look good on the Federal level, it has nothing to do with the common man, who they obviously know nothing about.

The Federal government has long ago turned into a redundant entity that serves no constructive purpose to the common man and woman anymore.

Good topic by the way

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seachange

We're getting there.

Mark? How close are we?

This is the type of thing that should touch off the riots and civil unrest at some point. One too many nudges in the wrong direction, and eventually they turn around and swing on you!

Government, quit pushing. The population won't always be this polite and well-behaved.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
More tracking of your movements, money and...well everything. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Of course they will collect even more taxes as they do for example when a vehicle is sold. Sell that car 10 times to 10 different owners and pay that tax 10 times as well. This is how we keep getting poorer and the rich keep getting richer.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
THis law could not stand a Constitutional test in the courts.

As you rightly noted Federal Law allows a Federal Reserve Note to be used for all debts public and private. So, state law cannot outlaw its use.

That being said it will take a court battle to overturn it, and that will be expensive.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Really beginning to think that returning to the good ole barter system.
I have been doing it for sometime now,and it's going pretty good.
Staying below the governments radar seems like the direction our society needs to go.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Think even deeper. This means that every back yard or garage sale is expected to pay into having credit cards and a debit machine.

Obviously here is the way around this: SAY NO. Phone in and talk firmly. Repeat the phone call. Put it in writing.

Organize many used events, and stand by each other. If one gets a fine or whatever, EVERYONE SHOWS UP AND DEMANDS RELEASE, if by chance anyone got arrested. AND STANDS UP IN COURT TO SAY NO & WE ARE ALL DOING IT. And don't ever pay, never back down. Support each other 100%.

Do that with all of them.

Don't elect anyone on any ballot. Run your own citizens. Look for those who don't beleieve in the current laws or drug laws. And also, support them, form human protection on them because they will be targetted. Refuse everyone they put at you, they are 100% traps.

If you don't mind my saying so, that post of yours needs to go viral.

VERY well put.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
One more draconian measure
that will never be able to be enforced.

This is a way to *try* to catch people
who are not reporting what they have sold
on their tax returns. It is a way to keep an eye
on people to make sure the government gets
every f'in penny it can and send the IRS
to your house if you did not report selling little Sues old doll house.
First it is no cash transaction on junk.
Next it is going to be everything..

If this ever comes to your state FIGHT IT WRITE TO YOUR SENATORS
!!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Wow!
Reading your thread now,only part of it so far.
Wow!

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I believe this is illegal. As in against the Constitution of the United States of America.
There should be a lawsuit against this and get a judge to overturn it.
A class action should be easy with all the people that have garage sales alone.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
oh great so i guess this means that people can give you bad checks, fake money orders, ect and get goods for free from you... OH but wait its okay don't worry because you can take them to civil court and pay out of your pocket ($90) where I live to sue them for your money... OH they have bad credit you say? So i guess even if you win they will never pay you and you don't get your money or the $90 you paid for filing the claim?

Well I guess I am screwed

Now since I have been selling things at the swap meat / flea market to pay my bills and be able to buy food, Since I can not longer do this thanks to the new rules and being screwed to many times and losing the ability to provide for myself... HEY why not go out and steal or rob people? It seems so much easier to do and I have nothing to lose anyway so if I go to jail at least I no longer have to pay rent or worry about bills...

Yah sounds like a great idea to me...

How about NO? Why not make laws where its illegal to for companies to steal money from people, gamble away retirement funds, ect, goverment officials taking bribes and "legal contributions for campaigns"

OH WAIT all that is illegal but it happens anyways and because those people have money and power they do not get in trouble...

I do not pay taxes, never have never will, do not ask anything from the government in fact I would prefer they stay out of my life.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I think the time is close approaching that those who are aware of what is going on,take heed and protect your interests.
Withdraw from the banks.
Stock up on food and supplies.
The SHTF is close.
Ok,just being a little paranoid now,move along.

edit on 12-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
ever onward we march toward the controlled cashless society.
scary development.! thanks for posting

most disturbing thing I've read tonight.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
most disturbing thing I've read tonight.

Keep reading buddy......you'll find more

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join