It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandpa’s Survival Shack… The Get Home Bag… GHB

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A small container of Vaseline gel won't go astray either. If you are in a damp or wet place and need a fire, dip a new tampon in the vaseline, light, and it will stay lit for quite a while because of the petroleum in in the vaseline. You can also use small pieces of fabric or lint from your dryer.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

the Girlfriend works just off campus, but sometimes different hours. I have family maybe one mile from work, not to much out of the way but still not at the ready.This as been something I have been thinking on for some time, I will come up with something, always changing my " get me home bag"

edit on 12-10-2011 by oldshooter1979 because: had a spelling mishap sorry

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

A mile is not so far to go, as long as you have easy access to the house when you need it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

it's not the size that matters it's what you do with it...

From 25 feet I have no doubts about making a head shot on a medium/large sized dog...
even if I miss with 1 I got 10 more tries waiting...

but to be fair... most likely I'll have my daily carry on me too and that .40 has a bit more punch

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Great thread again GD, I like the idea of a GHB, I just try to carry as many useful things in my pockets as I can though instead of having a bag. Paracord bracelet, Gorilla tape on paracord attached to keyring, SAK, Compass/thermometer.

Nice tip with the Silva compasses as well, I carry a nifty little Silva with a thermometer attached to it, its come in quite useful a few times now.

Thinking about making a little GHB for the van now I think of it, with a Gransfors added in of course

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
First, I would say your choice of firearm is not adequate. A .22lr will only make something mad, it has no stopping power. Shoot a cat with a .22lr and unless it is a head shot it will just run off, shoot a dog with a .22lr and it won't even know it has been hit.

A pocket size pistol with stopping power is the .38special. Hit the target with this type of force and you always have a second shot , no matter how large the target is.

And yet a friend of mine was killed with a .22lr? Funny how cats and dogs don't even notice but 200 lb men can perish?

Just as GrandpaDave said, the .22lr is not for long term survival, this is his "get home bag." The .22lr is more than adequate for upclose personal defense and killing a rabbit or a racoon for food. I mean for maximum stopping power the S&W .500 is tops, but it doesn't do you much good when I jump out of the shadows and bear hug you to the ground and whack you with a brick. It is too large and cumbersome to carry and access, etc. What good is a gun you can't use?

A firearm is a firearm. Too many people get caught up on calibers. I know a kid that was shot 6 times with an AK47 and lived, and then 2 years later got shot with a single .38 from an unknown distance and died.

I used to love my Springfield 1911 .45, but many times I found myself leaving it at home, or in the glove box because it was uncomfortable to carry into a movie theatre or work. Then one day I thought, "What good is that extra stopping power if it is in the car?" Now I carry a .380, and I am fully confident in its ability.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Fact: The .22 cal has killed more People in this Country than all the other calibers put together.
I could fill this page with proof of a .22 as a man stopper, from The Reagan assassination attempt to a trooper firing point blank and hitting the suspect center mass with a .357mag and the suspect returning fire with single round from a .22 hand gun. Guess which one died ?

just saying

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

this is true. I too have known of someone killed by a .22 It was a Ruger mark II if I remember. A.22lr can do a lot of damage. Seems that everyone has a 10/22 rifle here for survival, hey it is a .22! And like the post said " Get me home!"

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
First I think it's a great Idea to have an emergency kit to get back home...

[off-topic commentary removed]
edit on 10/14/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: [off-topic commentary removed]

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great thread, thanks

I always keep extra clothing & a folding shovel, in cas i have to dig the car out (or dig a shelter if it's real bad)
I also have a solar charger on my dashboard, it charges my phone, camera, & flashlight batteries.
Cost 100 bucks, but it works great, i don't have to charge at home so much (saves power)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yes the .22lr is a killer, and pretty accurate too.
I've seen silenced sniper rifles of this calibre (don't know the make, think it was german).
My only other firearms experience is a Lee Enfield 303, which kicks like a mule

We're not allowed guns over here, except in a carefully controlled environment, that's why i am learning Kung-Fu

I don't advocate or even like violence of any kind, but if it's unavoidable, it's best to learn how to handle it.
I practise at the fair with air rifles, winning teddy's for my girlfreind

And i would never shoot an animal, unless i intended to eat it, which i don't consider a likely scenario where i live.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

R.I.P. GrandpaDave, never thought it would be so soon after saying goodbye to DaddyBare.

This # is #ed up.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Does anyone still make the HP22? I heard it was available, but under another name? I had one, it was good, but gotta get rid of the safeties and just carry it hammer down. the thumb safety is pot metal, it will wear out in a few dozen manipulations, leaving you with an unsafe gun. the safety in the slide is an awkward pita to use. I also got rid of the pc of metal that won't let you move the slide or remove the mag without having the safety engaged. Very fine gun for the money, tho. Accurate, reliable,durable where it matters.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

what happened?? I just noticed the sudden removal of Grandpa

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Were not allowed to discuss Banned members remember?

and I dont have a clue what could have happened, I investigated and apparently he broke T&C, the mod wouldnt discuss details, but I couldnt find anything that could have been percieved as breaking T&C, but shhhhhhh we shouldnt be discussing this

edit on 12-10-2011 by Dionisius because: because i can

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

All the other stuff side, this is a very good thread. I myself have a GHB, I work about 14 miles away from home, and across a river, so what I carry is a bit different, and being a woman holds challenges of its own.
First I pack for the weather, winter in my area is a killing cold, youd better be prepared if your schlumping it through the country side. So the pack changes with the seasons. A few weeks ago we had a flash of cool weather, cold enough to lightly frost the car windows, and that was the signal to change out my bag.

Out went warm weather gear and in went a down jacket smashed to its smallest size, and stuffed into a 2 gallon ziplock, good for keeping things dry, next waterproof hiking boots, and wool socks. a long sleeve t-shirt, a water proof sweatshirt(bought it at a second hand store-no idea who makes it-no tags but super water proof) A scarf, and leathergloves lined with a waterproof layer, and a wool insert, mittens work better for me because my fingers get really cold and I have arthritis so it makes it worse, so I cabbaged some mitten ends to them, works great. A skull cape. A couple of shock blankets, a coil of rope, and a magnesium bar and knife with striker. I dont carry a compass, I should probobly look into that. Female items of course, and extra ammo for my sig misquito. Guns always with me anyway might as well be able to reload

And I carry one other item most probobly dont- money, and silver, I may possibly need to barter passage across the river, and thought it might come in handy. Any suggestions?

edit on 12-10-2011 by Rossa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm left wondering if there is a difference between a get home bag and an EDC.

Here is previous get home bag thread from 2009.
A work in progress: My Get Home Bag

Here are a couple of other threads that discuss get home bags.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe the discussion started with a POCKET size gun and a 22lr is not the best choice for a POCKET size gun the 38 special is...the best choice of POCKET size gun

I own both, I will use the 22 to dispatch an animal at close range, its cheaper.

but

when I require a handgun that is carried for protection it is always the 38spl.

I also own a 45 as when and a side arm is needed that is what is in the holster.

I own many handguns and long guns each has it own purpose

BUT

When looking for a POCKET size gun the 38spl has the most stopping power of any gun in its size

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't know a thing about the getting banned deal, but this thread woke me up to the fact that I need to get a "Oh poop" bag in my car.

Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

"The first rule of fightclub, is that you do not talk about fightclub."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join