It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A work in progress: My Get Home Bag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So I figured I would share with the readers of the Survival forum my current work in progress, a Get Home Bag based off of a Maxpedition Colossus Versipack.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6000267574ac.jpg[/atsimg]

Externally there is nothing changed yet except for a few patches, and the biener which was used as an attach point for my spare water bottle, however it quickly became too annoying sloshing around and smacking me in the leg as I walked. The entire outside of this thing is covered in MOLLE attach points, some of which are easier to get to than others (such as the ones on the very bottom)

The idea from an external POV is to attach at least one magazine pouch on the point where the shoulder strap meets the pouch it self, and perhaps a external water bottle pouch which will likely be created by using a triple M4 mag pouch.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6d68f27c4ed.jpg[/atsimg]

The above picture is looking down into one of the two internal CCW pouches, this one has a very simple universal holster (also by Maxpedition) velcroed in, and let me tell you once its in there its not coming back out without some effort. It may not have a thumb brake like other holsters but when the pack is slung over the shoulder and attached with its belt loop the weapon is quite secure, in addition there is a retention snap right next to where my thumb is which keeps the weapon mostly secured, however it also makes drawing it a really cumbersome process.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fab6b4ff76b7.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is an internal view of the main compartment, as you can see there is a flashlight staring back at the camera as well as a 50 foot section of 550 para cord. Also technically in this location are several packs of waterproof matches, a few compacted down large plastic bags, a space blanket and a rain suit. That large empty space you see on the right is where my water bottle has been residing until I can improvise a better carrying method for it that makes it easier to get to while under way.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba79755ab5f1.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a kind of cramped view of the first medical gear pouch, mostly dressings, alcohol prep pads, band aids, hand sanitizers and some other anti-septic type packages. I'm miles from done with this as I plan on adding in some insta-clot type packets to stop massive bleeding in a hurry. Also there is a junk pamphlet from some previous off-the-shelf kit in here as a physical reminder for those moments when the brain decides to go sideways instead of forward.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dbd80bb7c6e6.jpg[/atsimg]

This outer pouch contains a section of nylon rope, a LED flashlight, tissues, some medical tape, and a few larger bandages that would not fit into the inner mesh pocket. In all likelyhood I will remove the nylon rope in favor of more para cord once another shipment comes in, its half the size and probably just as strong if not more so.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da34f91325af.jpg[/atsimg]

Yet another outer pouch, this one contains an el cheapo wind up flashlight that I'm still evaluating as well as combination whistle, match container and compass. That little silver line you see next to the two items is in fact a flat roll of several yards of duct tape around an old plastic ID card, stores very nicely and is insanely handy in so many different ways. This is another pouch where there is plenty of room to expand as I pick up more pieces of gear and likely to see a lot of rearrangement as its one of the easiest to get so the most often used go-to items will end up here eventually.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4c353a1e097.jpg[/atsimg]

And finally for scale I took a picture of the pack next to a standard CD spindle for comparison. Its not overly huge, but it is far more configurable than a normal backpack and the best part is it lets me be extremely mobile. This thing couldn't keep me alive in the wilderness for an extended period of time but it will let me cover ground fast towards home in order to get the real gear set there which is just impractical to tote to and from work every day.

Since this is of course a work in progress I will likely come back and update it from time to time as I get the layout of things and the final lineup of gear sorted out, but I'm all ears for questions, comments or suggestions for any aspect of this; if I wasn't open to adaption and learning I wouldn't be much of a survivalist now would I?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Since you already have the matches accounted for, perhaps emptying the compass container and including some fishing line, hooks and needles? The line could double as thread if needed. Also, are you doing to have a straight blade and flint in the pack? I like the way this is looking!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by quetzelcoatl

I had thought about the fishing line previously however between work and home there are no viable fishing locations. Ive been trying to find a suitable blade to add to the pack but so far nothing has caught my eye as particularly fitted to my needs, and I have been looking at various fire starting alternatives, also I will likely include some dryer lint in a bag as tinder.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Awesome looking stuff Maxpedition makes.
I do like my backpack though.
I can don and doff my gear fast.

If I had this pack, I am sure I could tinker with it to enable it to become a backpack. The shoulder strap is interesting idea though.
I might rig my own on my current bag. Unless I decide to break down and get something from the Maxpedition site.
I don't really want to spend the money, and I'm all about improv., but a good bag to start from is the way to go.

No matter the sitch, it's always a good idea to have a reliable bag ready to go.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Looks sweet, might I suggest a fixed blade knife, a multitool with good wire cutters and strippers and some method of purifying water. Nice bag, i like the way your pistol is concealed. You might also want some pepper spray for dogs and a light stick.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

It looks good.

I didn't see anything about water purification though.

And the "space" blanket? There's the silver mylar kind, and the thicker and green "casualty" blanket. I have both. The casualty blanket is better. You can find those at a military surplus store too.

But you are already thinking right in that there is no pointless fishing kit etc.

How far does this have to get you?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

The pack only has to get me approximately 5.5 miles (straight line measurement) unfortunately its right through urban conditions. The water purification is actually already covered somewhat, I have multiple bottles of tabs for cleaning up water however they are in my main pack as I have only recently gotten this one and haven't had the time to dig them out and divide them between the two. My blanket is indeed the mylar thin style and not the heavier variety, unfortunately our local military surplus store doesn't carry much in the way of this just clothes and airsoft junk.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here's an option, but I dont know if it will work with your pouch.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

I just personally don't like carrying things over one shoulder, but your mileage may vary. Your setup might draw less attention to yourself. This is a drop leg platform that holds pouches.

Or maybe this : www.cheaperthandirt.com...

A hydration carrier with MOLLE attachment points

I"ve bought from them before. They are a good place to buy from if you cant find what you need locally.

No, I am not affiliated with them. But if this post is out of line somehow, I won't throw a fit if it is edited.

5.5 miles should be a piece of cake, unless things really go south on you.
I"d be more worried about dodging the idiots than anything else.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

I suppose escaping from an urban area doesn't really necessitate the fishing line. I was thinking more along the lines of things really going south and having to rely heavily on the contents alone, but seeing that you are 5.5mi out, you should be fine without it in that pack.

A couple of fixed knives I really like are the United Cutlery UC1256, which is fairly cheap, but retains its edge well and is thin, even with the molded sheath, and the UZI Defender which features an exceptionally sharp blade, a sawblade on the back edge, and a wedge/driver/prybar pommel end. The UZI blade is more expensive and larger, but may prove to be better off for extended use.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Another great thing about your get you home bag is it really isn't going to make you stand out from the crowd.

As far as A tool or blade is concerned,I myself might go with something other than A leather Wave for instance.

Looking at the Leatherman tools as an example,I might go with the pocket size or chain size tools. A freestyle or A juice .with one of the squirts or the Micra to compliment it.

If the SHTF I would really like to have fixed blade with me...
That wouldn't be A good idea here.
I would try and add A nylon shell (jacket and pants) with a hat.
Some thing to slip on and off really quick.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I know this is a somewhat "older" thread, but I just wanted to drop in to let anybody interested that sportsmansguide.com is selling a pack by fox tactical for 20-30 dollars that is identical to one of the Maxpedition Versipacks but at well under half the price. Sorry I don't have a link or a pic at this time.

I ordered the Fox Tactical version and got it in a month ago. The construction is nearly identical to the Max but just different enough to get around copyright/trademark/patent laws I guess. When I bought it I was expecting some el cheapo knock-off that might be cool to make a camping kit for my godchild. But I was pleasantly surprised by what I got. It's made of the same 1000 denier nylon material with the gigantic zippers, just like other tactical bags and the seams are pretty rough and tumble and can take a beating. For the 30 bucks I paid (not to mention the 40 bucks I saved!) it's a steal!!!

So, if you're in the market to try your hand at making a sweet GHB like the OP but don't want to pay the 70-90 smackeroos for the Maxpedition I'd say give it a try. Also, Sportsmansguide.com usually has pretty good deals on other things I've seen referenced in this forum, like Swedish Mora's for 12 bucks. Kinda like cheaper than dirt.com but different.

P.S. No, I DO NOT work for nor am I affiliated with the websites or products talked about in this post, just a friendly fellow prepper and enthusiast out to save a buck....lol

-- Apex

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow I had never thought of a GHB (wow I just read that acronym out loud and its not good). Now it has got me thinking of all the possibilities and scenarios that could happen if I were to break down with out any cell phone (bad reception, dead battery, lost...).

I was thinking along the line of something a little bigger than the Maxpedition bag. In my neck of the woods it gers very cold in the winter so I would need room for warm clothes, blanket, gloves, hat, etc. I also drive long distances somethimes and may need to have some for of food when none can be found. I stumbled on this ModGear sling bag that would work perfect for this kind of bag. ModGear Sling Bag I was wondering what everyone thought and how the maxpedition bag worked out.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
@ Apex Predator

Never heard of Fox Tactical before, but if they are comparable to Maxpedition I might have to look into them to save a few bills (that I want to put towards the BOV next
) I had completely forgotten about the Sportsmans Guide until you mentioned it, growing up it was one of my favorite piece of mail to see in the box and got more read-time than comic books.

@ Cool Breeze

Very true about needing larger capacity for your locality, in the winter months here I always wear my field jacket because it has those massive pockets for more cargo.

As for the Maxpedition bag and its performance for me its been excellent, fortunately I haven't had to use it beyond grabbing the knife or flashlight. It gets tossed into the passenger seat of my car every morning before work and hasn't shown any signs of wear, fraying, or any of the like. Only problem I have so far is that I've found I'm slowly adding more things to it and running out of space for other items

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

See you should have went with the Modgear slingbag just think of all the room

I find myself doing that constantly with my bugout bags and all it does is make em heavier so then I have to add another ration because I'll be burning more valuable calories carrying it. I think its a sickness, adding to the BOBs. You see something that may be useful one day but the only problem is that there are millions of things that can be useful.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Looks sweet, might I suggest a fixed blade knife, a multitool with good wire cutters and strippers and some method of purifying water. Nice bag, i like the way your pistol is concealed. You might also want some pepper spray for dogs and a light stick

Nice ideas...

Remember, you have to consider the possibility that you may not be able to make it home... I'd recommend a survival knife, so you could also cover things like fishing line, etc. within the handle. I'd also recommend a detailed plastic/paper fold map of the local city and environs.

There's a pet training tool I've seen advertised on tv, that may be better to use for dogs...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I actually did pick up a nice Gerber fixed blade for the kit and I have a map of the immediate area, probably was added like a week after I took the pictures. I also loaded it up with a lot more medical gear than is pictured, probably will take some time this Friday to sit down and inventory the entire thing and update with pics of the changes.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Its been a good while since I created this thread so I figured it was time to update it with fresh pictures of the bag in its current state as well actual images of all the crap I carry around with me inside of it.

I added a container for my 1L water bottle, however instead of getting the form fitted one that many places sell I opted to simply attach a Roly-Poly pouch (size medium) so that in the event that I'm using a different option for hydration I can either dump extra gear in or roll it back up and decrease the size of the bag overall.

Here is the Gerber fixed blade I finally picked up for the bag, my only complaint so far is that its not a tanto edge blade which I've heard is far superior in a utility style knife. Lack of serrations is a bit of a bummer however I have a folding knife that I carry with me everywhere in my pocket with nice serrations so its not a deal breaker that the fixed blade doesn't have those features, just one more thing to put on my wish list for this holiday season

Here is the entire contents (save for a few minor pieces) of the main compartment of the bag. The notepad and pens are probably the most recent addition to the whole rig, possibly upgraded later with waterproof writing implements if I get enough use out of the current ones. That large bag that you see to the immediate left of the map is actually several months worth of dryer lint that I've been saving up, it makes a very nice fire starting material and its pretty much free!

These items are from the very top compartment of the bag (where my NO PEN patch is). In case its not obvious I'm a little overboard when it comes to fire making materials but then they have lots of use, value and lets face it being cold absolutely sucks the life right out of you both physically and mentally. The Pocket Patriot is the smallest piece of reading material I could find to toss in, no real practical reason to have it other than I actually enjoy reading it.

These items reside in the outside pouch where the retention and bs meter patches are, nothing overly fancy here however I would like to point out that its important to check your medical gear, when I was going through my larger "extended vacation" pack I discovered I had lost an entire roll of adhesive medical tape had become very discolored and lost most of its adhesive.

This is in a pouch a little lower than the one above and is mostly taken up by the gloves, a pair of Mechanix in coyote tan. The light stick is a little on the old side and its probably due to be replaced with some newer ones as soon as I find a place that doesn't charge outrageous prices for them.

And finally the part that I left out from the original post, my Walther P99 in .40 S&W, its nothing fancy but is comfortable to shoot, easy to work even wearing gloves and shoots straight consistently. Currently it gets a diet of Federal Hydrashok in the 165gr flavor, however after some recent reading I'm considering switching to Hornady TAP or Speer Gold Dot as they seem to not have the same issues as Hydrashok does with expansion.

I shot some other pictures from the "extended vacation" bag as well however there are still a few more to take so those will have to wait till another time, perhaps tomorrow if the nice weather holds out.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am going to post a few pics of my bag as well but the set up changes depending on what my purpose is.
I just got a new computer so it might take me a day to figure this thing out...I haven't tried the firewire hook up yet for my video camera so bare with me.

Nice gerber...I just bought one myself and can actually shave with it.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Very nice, thanks for the informative pics!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So its been about a year since I last posted to this thread with any changes to the bag, and even longer since the thread was started. I figure the fine folks of ATS survival forums wouldn't mind seeing the updates of a bag thats been in use for about two years now.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d853f640b42.jpg[/atsimg]
Externally not much has changed other than the green pouch, unfortunately I had to wait a while for Maxpedition to ship me a pack of attach strips since the local shop was all out.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ba89bf83bac.jpg[/atsimg]
This is the contents (minus one radio, I'll get to that in a minute) of the green pouch. The radio is made by Midland and they claim has a range of over 10 miles, however in any kind of urban area it performs much worse with all the interference and such. I also included a fed-style earbud and mic with vox capability so I can go hands free if necessary. One of the best features about the radio is the wide array of channels and the fact that it can tune in to the NOAA weather channel for local weather updates. If you look closely at the picture you see what looks to be a proprietary battery pack for the radios and you would be correct, except in their foresight Midland also built the radios to accept standard AA batteries so you wouldn't be shackled to a charging station.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/531caa0bb2e4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83a007d508cf.jpg[/atsimg]
I'm not a big fan of caffeine anymore however since I've quit I decided that adding some to the pack would be beneficial for that short burst of energy not to mention to mention something to hold me over till actual food can be obtained. Another perk I've noticed is that neither of these products seem to be adversely affected by heat so having the bag in my car on a hot day doesn't turn them into a total mess.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c500bcbb4268.jpg[/atsimg]
This last shot shows the Leatherman Wave I added into the kit as well as my Kershaw assisted-opening knife, finally something with a proper tanto edge and serrations for the kit. The optics were a gift from a friend for Christmas but definitely needed to be added to the pack for viewing objectives at distance instead of having to get right up on situations that could be less than healthy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join