It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of UNTRUTHS do you tolerate from YOUR favorite media personality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Currently, mine is around 30% for minor issues and points and 50% for the big, chess not checkers, issues. Of course, it's arguable if these even exist in current media.

One of the hardest things to do (for me anyway) is to listen to Alex Jones, Rush, Maddow, O'Reily or (insert here) and see how they can so easily twist, distort and lead people away from the real truth so elegantly. They make it look easy. But I find it very interesting and educational so I still listen.

I was an Alex Jones fan, a big one, for the first few months I started listening some years back. At that time, I had NEVER heard anyone like him before. I couldn't get enough. I was angry, I knew some of the conspiracies were FACT not theory, I had first hand experience with huge government corruption and tyranny and here was this guy just out there talking about it. I'm not afraid to say I liked it.

He came across as intelligent, researched and challenged listeners to check him out and I bought it for a while. Now it didn't take long to discover that when you actually did check him out, things weren't exactly like he was portraying them to be. The ridiculous sponsors didn't help solidify his credibility either, my favorite was "Where to hide your guns .com" for $50 he tells you where to hide'm and the built in Gold Infomercial is another beauty. This and his incessant need to shape every single conversation with any "guest" (who are always selling something by the way). Despite all of this, it took me MONTHS to realize him for what he was. A performer.

WHY do people defend their favorite personality so strongly? KNOWING they're not 100% truthful. At what point to you just say to yourself, "Enough", my trust in this person is now at the point where I can't give them the benefit of the doubt, now the best I can give them is a mental "maybe" before checking things out for myself. Are we so desperate to only hear what we want that we shield ourselves from anything that might upset us? By "we" I mean everyone else

Any attempt to point this out in user forums or even talking with people that are fans results in basically them putting their hands over their ears, closing their eyes and yelling "la la la la la" or calling you a troll with a stupid thoughtless one liner.

My interest in the TRUTH, not the subjective depends on where you're coming from truth, but you know, the actual mostly BS free less opinion facts that if 100 people were all given it, the vast majority would agree, OK this is truthFUL at least.

The real ART to these people is that they are experts at mixing truth and lies. Tell a few truths that allow you to hold them up as the gleaming examples of credibility and you then get a free pass to twist and distort the very next subject. Depending on the host, the amount of this varies.

My question is how much do YOU tolerate and why?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

I tolerate 0% of untruth from anyone, especially media. I am curious. Why did you refer to it as an "untruth"?
Does it sound better than the word "Lie" which is what an untruth is. There is no in between. It is either a lie or the truth. I trust no media, no tv personality, and if I get wind of even one single lie or deceit I never return.
do that which is right, good and just. Believe not a lie, speak not a lie
DH

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Actually, I agree with you more than you think. I reworded a few things because I was hoping to hear from people who do tolerate it and didn't want to cause a pissing match right off the bat.

I guess I should have also considered that many just don't realize they're being lied to.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

The very nature of the media is to present stories and information. There are a few facts mingled in but people have to know which is factual and what is bias or opinion on the part of the station. (of course with our American education such that it is - people are stupid and do not know how to sift the facts from the story.) An opinion is not a lie it is an opinion. Have suffered some pretty ridiculous opinions to get through a news cast but it doesn't mean I shared those opinions.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

all lies are untruths , not all untruths are lies

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I enjoy "Real Time" with Bill Maher. He seems to sum up perfectly what I think about politics most of the time, however he is a total democrat. Even though he'll jab them as well, he hasn't realized they're all basically the same. I believe it's political theater.

Despite his defense of Democrats knowingly or not, I tolerate it because I still enjoy most of the show. I'd say he's about 20% in the untruth department, your results may vary.

Great question.

new topics

top topics

join