It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inappropriate username...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Apparently I can't get into chat anymore because suddenly my username has become 'inappropriate'... whaaaaat?

Anybody have any idea how I can fix this? I don't know whether to be insulted or proud lol I've never been called inappropriate before...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Your name doesn't even seem so bad. I'm pretty sure I've seen worse on this site.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well... damn.

Edit to add: Sorry, I know that's not very helpful. But I did let Bill know about the problem and hopefully he'll be able to fix this. In the meantime, just... damn.

edit on 10/8/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

It's not inappropriate in that way. it's because you have an underscore in your name which the new chat room doesn't seem to be able to handle.

Other members with, for example exclamation marks in their name have had the same issue

edit to add, i'm pretty sure that Skeptic overlord is aware of the issue and is looking at it
edit on 8-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
awww no fair
thanks for the info dave, i'll try again next weekend lol

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I have just noticed actually that the new chat room does indeed censor the word damn
So it might well be inappropriate in the way you were thinking in the first place

Now Ive confused myself cos I think the underscore might also be a problem, looks like new chat doesnt like you at all

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

It isn't against the T&Cs to run a separate account, as long as it's run honestly.

Maybe you could launch another account with a 'chat-friendly' name? It's an option if SO can't find a way around the censor or underscore. Also, it wouldn't take long for regulars to know who you were on the boards.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I have just noticed actually that the new chat room does indeed censor the word damn
So it might well be inappropriate in the way you were thinking in the first place

Now Ive confused myself cos I think the underscore might also be a problem, looks like new chat doesnt like you at all

We need a list of alternatives for objectionable words. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fly over the Hoover Durn, in a heckacopter.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
another friend of mine had this issue as well and i contact skeptic overlord about it, he says it has to do with the - separation your names, he is tryin to get a fix for it but didn't know how he could

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Damn is censored???

Weird.

So you're having a religious convo and you say God went to damn the man...and it'll get censored???

Lame.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Bugger... I don't want to have to change my name, been damn_ummmm forever and I'm really not creative enough to think of a new one

*sigh* not too worry, thanks for your help everyone.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The chat system is new, and Bill's been rather swamped lately, so although it is taking a while, please don't give up hope just yet.

As mentioned above, the problem seems to be the underscore or other non-alphanumeric characters, not the "damn" part.

Also, for the record, the word "damn" doesn't just appear in the Bible, but regularly in our forums as well, where it is not filtered out, and is generally not a problem, as this very post should amply demonstrate.

Just sayin'

edit on 10/15/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Thanks Majic, I understand there are always teething problems with new things. I'm patient, I can wait

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
My dads name was Dick, not Richard, would that be inappropriate, It's not like it's G@D damn

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Well... damn.

Edit to add: Sorry, I know that's not very helpful. But I did let Bill know about the problem and hopefully he'll be able to fix this. In the meantime, just... damn.

edit on 10/8/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

Time to get wildly off topic, but for a good cause; making people giggle:

new topics

top topics

join