It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

El Hierro: NEWS a 4.3 quake!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think the (1) Tsunami will be in a way dealable as well of course a Volcanic Eruption ,
i see more problems with the Methane on the Islas la Canarias!

When the Methane lose stability all of the seven Islands will glide far into the Sea!

El Hierro is very small and i really doubt a big Tsunami because of a Eruption,
just compare the masses of El Hierro with the Boxer Day Tsunami or the Tohoku-Oki Earthquake!
edit on 9-10-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alohagirl21

niceee ..go, go, Hierro

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thank you all for contributing to this thread.

Since I posted the information about this quake, although not mentioned openly by the authorities, things are getting serious. Just have a look to the list of quakes registered by the IGN and you will notice what I say.

Scientists and authorities have been telling people all this time not to worry because the earthquakes were too deep, meaning that magma was not rising anymore... In fact, all these tremors were more or less at about a depth of 14 km. But...

For the first time since the crisis started, some of the quakes today have been reported to be at a depth of 3 and even less: 1 km.

IGN quake

IGN quake 2

IGN quake 3

Though they are still asking people to be calm (but to be prepared for a possible emergency) and insist that these quakes are "normal", Pevolca has convoked a meeting for Monday in order to talk about the progress of the earthquakes.

As to the 4.3 quake, they have informed that a small landslide took place on the road from Tacarón to La Restinga, but that they have cleared it by now.

I assume that it is very difficult to decide what to do under these circumstances. Many people depend on their action and quakes have not been stronger than 4.3, but I wonder if they are waiting for something "big" to start a real evacuation...

What would you do?

Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A 3.6 has just been reported by the IGN, felt by inhabitants of Frontera.

The swarm of quakes in El Hierro seems not to end.
Regards,
Ptolomeo

Source IGN

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

I think if I lived there I would be just trying to be as calm as possible, but I would have some bags packed.

And I believe you are definitely right. I have been monitoring El Hierro since August, not long after the swarm began. I do not recall having seen such a cluster of eq's that are this close to the surface before (as of this post, 2 @ 1 km, 2 @ 2 km, and 2 @ 3km).

Also, the Instituto Geográfico Nacional have it now listed as a 4.4, up just a bit.

It also seems to me that they are taking much longer this weekend on updating the depths on this chart. Is that just me thinking that?

www.01.ign.es...

edit on 9-10-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Yes, I agree with you. But not only this.
They are "slow" adding quakes to the list and - according to some inhabitants of the islands - they have felt some quakes that were not added to the list of the IGN.

Maybe they are filtering the data to avoid panic.

In July, when all this started and there was no attention to it, they had hundreds of quakes just one day...
Maybe they are withdrawing quakes because there are many more (not that they are strong, just small, but enough to worry people)...

Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

More than 8,000 tremors have been recorded on island in the last two months

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just to put this quake in perspective;

posted on 1-10-2011 @ 03:32 AM
Based on data starting
19/07/2011 08:59:50
there have been
8060 less than mag 2.0
of those
2888 less than mag 1.0
69 less than mag 0.0 ( one at mag -2)
and
732 mag 2.0 to mag 2.9
42 mag 3.0 to mag 3.8
Total Energy released to 29/9/2011 11:59:48.9 is 126.24358 tons of TNT equal to just a single Mag 4.615 earthquake

Volcano Watch 2011 post
so the entire 9000 quakes all added up based on Energy Released in tonnes of TNT only just beats this one single 4.4 quake
Crisis what crisis

edit on 10-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This was just posted by Propheticseer on Youtube. Don't know how significant it is, but it can't be good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join