It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It will now be a crime in America to do things in foreign countries that aren't crimes.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill yesterday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) -- even if the planned activities are legal in the countries where they're carried out. The new law, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) allows prosecutors to bring conspiracy charges against anyone who discusses, plans or advises someone else to engage in any activity that violates the CSA, the massive federal law that prohibits drugs like marijuana and strictly regulates prescription medication.

"Under this bill, if a young couple plans a wedding in Amsterdam, and as part of the wedding, they plan to buy the bridal party some marijuana, they would be subject to prosecution," said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance, which advocates for reforming the country's drug laws. "The strange thing is that the purchase of and smoking the marijuana while you're there wouldn't be illegal. But this law would make planning the wedding from the U.S. a federal crime."

The law could also potentially affect academics and medical professionals. For example, a U.S. doctor who works with overseas doctors or government officials on needle exchange programs could be subject to criminal prosecution. A U.S. resident who advises someone in another country on how to grow marijuana or how to run a medical marijuana dispensary would also be in violation of the new law, even if medical marijuana is legal in the country where the recipient of the advice resides. If interpreted broadly enough, a prosecutor could possibly even charge doctors, academics and policymakers from contributing their expertise to additional experiments like the drug decriminalization project Portugal, which has successfully reduced drug crime, addiction and overdose deaths.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm really "glad" to see that congress is focusing on the real issues you know? Helping America prosper and....wait a second.

I'm sickened.

Seriously this is insane and this law is very sinister also. I hate congress. They haven't done a thing for the people in recent history.
edit on 10/7/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/7/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

The recent protesters should not carry signs, they should carry nooses. Just walk around and hold them up, no threats, just hold them up.------------

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
You people NEED to get out.

Forget your so called loyalties, you guys are dead men walking in the US.

This law looks like a double edged sword. It will give the US working power to get people (US citizens) in other countries without the need for a warrant.

You will be terminated by your government or locked up. Either way YOU lose. Get the **** out of that toilet NOW!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
More and more becoming and Expat sounds like the way to go, been looking into it for some time, its just getting ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I don't understand what it is with them and pot. It is well known fact that the US government and the US military help grow, harvest and transport opium from Afghanistan. It is well known that the US government and the US military are involved with Fast and Furious involving gun running into Mexico and drugs in the US out of Mexico. This is the answer they give us. The more laws they pass the crazier they get.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I can't even talk about smoking pot anymore? BS, If I get the chance I'm going to get arrested just so I can sue them for my right to free speech. Government can't dictate what I say or what I plan to do something in another nation where something is legal.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
How is this not a violation of free speech?
Planning to do something where it is legal is NOT conspiracy.
Conspiracy involves planning to do something illegal, where it is illegal.
This is so absurd!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Excuse my ignorance but what does expat mean?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here is a list of the members of the House Judiciary Committee, the thugs that passed the bill. Write to one or all of them and let them know of your displeasure.

House Judiciary Committee

/TOA

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Thanks for the link. I hope you write to them as well. This is sickening.

"Yeah dude it's totally not a crime there but YOU KNOW IT IS HERE SO LET'S GET THE PARTY VAN!"

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Today it's enforcement of controlled substance laws.....what will it be tomorrow? This really is getting totally out of hand. This isn't about drugs. This is about projecting the coverage of American law to every nation on Earth. Sure..it's just for U.S. citizens, for now. Geeze.....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Isn't this a thought crime?

From reddit:

It becomes an issue of thought-crime because the criminal is being charged with a crime that is not a crime in the current location, yet the charge remains valid because his mind is still supposedly "under the jurisdiction" of where he is from, where the crime is illegal. Since murder would be illegal anywhere, your example would not be correct. Also, even if cold-blooded murder were legal in some backwards part of the world, it would remain an obvious crime to human-kind. Smoking marijuana does not even fit any semblance of what the word "crime" is supposed to mean.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

so, it's only illegal if you talk about it? if you don't plan anything and end up in holland, all is ok?

so the government has to prove you "planned" and "talked" about it before hand?

sounds kinda weak to me.

-subfab

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is absolutely friggin nuts!!!! These people are out of control.

We can't have any fun here and now we can't have any fun anywhere???

You know - if you go to a US Embassy abroad and hand in your passport that you can disavow your citizenship.

It's looking better and better everyday.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
So I guess prostitution is out- but it's only illegal to talk about it? What if you go to another country and do it without being caught "planning" it, then what?

This really is total crap, for many reasons.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It isn't law yet. It is a bill sponsored by them. I highly doubt it will pass. Congress can't agree on much these days, but that would interfere more with the upper class that can afford to go globe trotting. It is a misguided effort to stop smuggling out of countries like Mexico into the US most likely. Heck, most of the Congress probably breaks US law out of the country. Well, even in the country!

I will be keeping an eye on it though. Another piece of the police state puzzle. Worse is the fact that the president can have you killed or locked up indefinately without benefit of due process for as long as he likes. They are putting down the groundwork for the nightmare they have planned and these protests are going to scare them into something stupid. I would not be surprised to see Obama declare a state of emergency over the protests and suspend congress, declare martial law, and give himself dictatorial powers under Bush.

edit on 8/10/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Expatriate. Like me. I fled to Mexico seven years ago. My friends said I was crazy, especially when I told them it was like Germans leaving Germany in the thirties. Ya, who's crazy now?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
It isn't law yet. It is a bill sponsored by them. I highly doubt it will pass. Congress can't agree on much these days, but that would interfere more with the upper class that can afford to go globe trotting. It is a misguided effort to stop smuggling out of countries like Mexico into the US most likely. Heck, most of the Congress probably breaks US law out of the country.

I will be keeping an eye on it though. Another piece of the police state puzzle. Worse is the fact that the president can have you killed or locked up indefinately without benefit of due process for as long as he likes. They are putting down the groundwork for the nightmare they have planned and these protests are going to scare them into something stupid. I would not be surprized to see Obama declare a state of emergency over the protests and suspend congress, declare martial law, and give himself dictatorial powers under Bush.

edit on 8/10/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

It's not going to scare them into something stupid, the protests have been engineered to enable declaration of martial law. A bunch of kids who don't really even know what they are protesting, or what the plan is if they are successful.

Much like the kids in Egypt, who were inspired to protest the govt, with no real alternate plan. How'd that work out for them? They have a US puppet govt now. Good deal. Same with Libya. The "rebels" first act was to set up a new Central Bank. That was the most important thing, they did it in the first couple of days. Think about that. They were "rebelling" against the govt cause they had zero interest banks, and they needed to get one with some interest fired up quick. Ayup.

edit on 8-10-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

In this World their is but one true crime and that is

Being Alive and Living ones own Life is (=) a Criminal Offense Punishable by Death [the living dead (zombies) are not guilty of this major criminal activate] Since (Being Alive) is defined as- having life; living; existing; not Being dead or lifeless, but in a state of action; in force or operation of will.

P.S. --- a crime is only a crime when you get caught
So just don't get caught or just be a Zombie which is a Individual mute in mind and will-less, that is either lacking or without soul, but given a body with the semblance of life; although never living it.

Remember that everyone if they do something long-enough will eventually gets caught and pays The Piper/Grim Reaper for their crime and taking the only thing anyone can truly possess which is their life.

edit on 8-10-2011 by IblisLucifer because: stupid link

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I dont understand why they are doing this.
Still on the fence, are they stupid or is this planned, or is this just a normal course of decay for a republic ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join