It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the government legalized marijuana how do you think they would control it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I can see that in the future someone in our government will come along and see that locking people up for smoking pot is ridiculous and will likely see legalizing pot as a good way to make money, much like they do with liquor. One would be able to walk into a store and buy a pack of already rolled maijuana cigarettes just like a pack of marlboros. the gov. gets the moeny instead of the drug dealer, we empty our prisons of people being held on drug charges related to marijuana thus saving even more money. But the question arises on how they are going to contol it, any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The plan exists both politically and in closely held corporate circles how the tobacco companies would run it.

Been on the books for decades. That's supposed to be the final saving grace for good old RNC contributors RJR and PM, now dying on the vine. The research and perfection of the potential pot rollout is constanty being updated with public opinion polling (I used to be privy to). All they need is assured public acceptance.

But contrary to what current pot heads would like you to believe, it will not be some Utopian free love smoke out. Think harshly regulated government control via a handful of loyal distributors and taxes! Glorious taxes!!!

Nobody will get rich off pot, but the rich.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The government will never legalize it, let alone control it. They can't promote smoking to you. Not any kind of it. Now, decriminalization is possible. Have a set of laws on hand, that are used if necessary, but dont activley pursue anyone.

Say for an example. Under an ounce in your home is legal. Growing up to 5 plants in doors is legal. Traveling with it, smoking in public, trafficing large amounts, or growing in public is not.

That makes the most sense to me. However I feel as though its kind of like that now. They dont bother you unless your rubbing their noses in it, or being blatent. I dont know of anyone who has had their door kicked in and raided because they were smoking a joint.

Id say in about the next 20-30 years the laws to relax greatly. Just, as long there are still people from the ww2- to the 50s that are in control it will not happen. To them marijuana is the same as coc aine. They see no difference. Its when the hippies that are in congress now, are the 80 year old fossils in charge that the laws will change. Every generation grows more liberal and the taboos fo yesterday are passe today. Eventually the eyes will open. Not for a while though, Im afraid.

Also, I dont see the government being interested in anymore drug dealing. I think they make enough from all the crack and heroin that they supply to the gangs in LA..

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I posted a link a while ago that was about the reasons I didnt want it legal (and I smoke !!) anyways, the thread took off huge. if your bored check it out. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I would like to think the federal government would let the states handle it on a state to state basis.

Currently, there are leash laws. In the municipal areas, you are subject to these laws/regulations. In the unincooperated area's, you aren't.

In a city setting, you can have an apartment building with 6 apartments per floor, with a total of 6 floors. That would be 36 apartments of apartment dwellers growing hydroponic marijuanna for personal use.

In the country, you have someone who owns 10 acres, 8 of it which is free to cultivate marijuanna for personal use/profit.

Should the one who is growing for profit be subject to special licensing with regular inspections to make sure they are in compliance with regulations?

Should they be taxed on their crop?

Would they be eligible for tax breaks, or be able to claim a loss if there's too much rain or an early freeze damaging their plants prior to harvesting them?

What would be the accepted method of protecting their crops against theft?

Many, many gray area's (and questions!).

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I respectfully disagree Sublime.

It will be legalized, controlled and marketed one day. Perhaps far off, but one day.

The current pot distribution marketing tests being conducted in some major tobacco corporations are identified as "roll your own tobacco smokers" with the wink, wink understood.

It's all done like that. They don't market to kids. They market to flavor fans. Not women, but style concious smokers. Not blacks, but night crawlers.

Crazy old Rant does know some things.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My take on it is this, the gov does not have to promote smoking marijuana to make money off of it, they don't even have to own the rights, take liquor and cigarettes those two things are taxed to the hilt and the gov. makes money off it, big money and they don't have to promote it either. Now as to the contol issue it would be much like they did with liquor, shut down any stills by sending the moonshiner to prison or by killing them. My uncle was murdered by revenuers on Jan 11, 1949. He was not a moonshiner but did know the guy with the still and had stopped by there to get himself a free drink. He did not resist but they killed him anyway. My point by adding this is to point out that if you kill enough people doing something its a good incentive to stop others from attempting it. Many old timers here recall my uncle being killed it made a big impact on some, enough for many of them to shut down their stills. A select few will be allowed to grow pot and if anyone else is caught growing their own they will go to jail just like they do now.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good point, Mako. Thats why decriminalization is the way to go. Also, I dont think that people would have acres of it. Nice thought, but why would it be necessary? We can grow our own or have access to someone who does. Its easy as hell to get now, let alone if it were decrim.

Also, any smoker will tell you, Mass produced is garbage. I would smoke the hydro grown indoors before I ever touch any of that garbage that grows in the dirt.

Given that it would become a buyers market, the quality would surge. Acres of plants would un doubtly mix male and female plants, thus creating a seedy bunch of garbage.

No, instead this is my utopia. Lots of people taking an interest in growing say 4 or 5 plants hydroponicly. Becoming master gardeners and then sharing what they grow. We all get together and bring the best stuff we got and trade around.."Hey that bud smells awesome!" "thanks man!" "whatchu got there?" " oh this is a cross strain" "looks awesome, wanna try some of this?" ...then a little swap occurs, or instead of having to buy an ounce at a time to "stock up" you could by it by the gram here and there, when you wanted. Like a six pack of beer.

Oh well, i guess it makes to much sense. Ill have to wait and see.....

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If it is controlled and taxed heavily like tobacco is, theres always the option of growing your own. Your allowed to do this with tobacco but it just isn't done. I'm sure a good number of people will grow there own if it is legal and regulated.

Odd

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I hope and pray that they do not legalize it-- decriminalization is the way to go, as far as the common stoner is concerned. Just make it legal to possess a half-ounce or so, and let people smoke it in the privacy of their own homes.

Of course, this won't happen... as the plant is so easy to grow, there would be no reason to invest in brand-name pre-rolled marijuana, and the tobacco companies wouldn't be making enough money for them to support the idea. It's all about money at this point, and this is a damn shame.

My advice is to keep an eye out for medical-marijuana bills in your state (there's one going through NC legislature right now) and do everything you can to support them.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mako0956
I would like to think the federal government would let the states handle it on a state to state basis.

Nope. Corporations don't work that way. And we all know corporations and the Federal government are interchangable now. Total corporate control requires federal regulation.

Upstarts and entrepreneurs (pot farmers) will get a friendly visit from the ATF, once jurisdiction is moved over from the DEA. Justification for crackdowns will be that the FDA can't allow crops it doesn't monitor for purity.

States that go Libertarian and challenge the laws will lose highway funding.

I'm telling you this is all planned out.

As for the speculation part, I see Bush threatening to "crackdown" on pot smokers shifting the war on drugs away from coke and heroin as a precursor to the needed outrage in public opinion required to make pot a corporate owned legal revenue stream.

Decriminaliztion makes nobody any money. Ban it to promote it. When the people finally come around demanding an end to manditory sentencing. You'll get your way...for a price.

And the people rejoiced....long live the Corporate King!

And yes, it will suck. The pot will be awful. Mass produced crap just like tobacco with dead bugs, rat turds and probably some additives.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by RANT]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i'd imagine they'd control it in much the same way as alcohol or tobacco.

but i think we'll see decriminalization long before full legalization and regulation. maybe something like the brixton 'experimental zone' first.

-koji K.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Years ago, and probrably today still, High Times magazine used to advertise in their magazine, where you could purchase something someone grew to resemble marijuanna- does anyone remember this?

Also, if the government did sell it, as sublime said, it wouldn't be the "potent" like crypie or anything like that.

I'm assuming it would be sterilized and the seeds removed barring any personal cultivation.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by mako0956]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why must the Government have control over everything in our lives? Should they control who grows tomatoes or corn? What is the difference? The Government was never to control our every move and action, it was made to protect the few form the many and the Americans from foreign enemies. I can not see how me growing narijuana violates anyone elses rights and therefore the government should have no say in this. All I can say is that everytime the government gets into something that something goes to hell in a handbasket.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Goose,
Here is a link referring to the stamps I was talking about in another thread, and I guess it was repealed, oh well, a lot of good is does to vote, they still decide whether what was voted for is what will be. I wonder how they can do that? But I have never heard anything about them baiting some pot farmer, although with Arpaio it easily could have happened.

www.flyingbuffalo.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
27jd thanks for the link, what a weird law, I'd be so confused about those stamps. Too bad you did not run out and buy some, their collectors items no doubt now. I looked for something on the way they did the farmer way back when but could not find anything but did find this website with a wealth of info on the many uses of the marijuana plant
www.baltimorestoners.50megs.com...

They sound like a happy club those baltimore stoners lol

[edit on 28-8-2004 by goose]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Cool link goose, I truly hope people wake up and realize it should not be illegal. Being a bodybuilder, it's the only thing I will do if I feel like partying on occasion. It's one of the only things that does not negatively affect your body or your health. Alcohol lowers testosterone levels for days. One of the Republicans heaviest hitters, Arnold Schwarzenhoweveryouspellit, is in a marketed film smoking it (Pumping Iron), when he was the Mr. Universe title holder, how unhealthy can it truly be? (alot healthier than the bull hormones he was likely taking as well at the time, LOL) But as long as the "reefer madness" crowd (that movie was meant to be serious way back when
) is still in power, they will continue to demonize it, has anybody seen the anti-drug propaganda they give kids in school? They say one joint is equal to 200 unfiltered cigarettes, does anybody think they would be alive if they smoked 200 unfiltered ciggarettes in one sitting? We knew back in my high school it was complete BS, and made us want to rebel more, instead of teaching the truth, like that some who have addictive personalities may smoke too often, and become reclusive and smoke away their ambitions, that I have seen, but it is rare.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Same way they control tobacco and alcohol, I'd imagine...

new topics

top topics

join