It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say "God" without giving the specific name of said God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It's a term that is generic for the most part. Most people don't want to have a long, intense conversation about which God is the right God, but they understand that people of other faiths worship a God, so based on likeness instead of difference, they share they thoughts without ruffling each other's feathers too much.

I don't care. I didn't grow up with any concept nor mention of 'God' or any of it's other names. This is an outsider's take on the subject. I've watched everyone who believes trip out when someone says a wrong word. I think that's why I used to think religion was for the insane or mentally weak as a child. The followers of religions seemed abusive, delusional, selfish and exclusionary to me, as an outsider who never, ever said a word about religion. It's their drama and anyone walking by is cast into it......as a demon, if you're not a believer.

Oh my God!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Judeo-Christian has God's real name as taboo to use.

What?
What is taboo about "Julie"?

I know, a bit funny.

It starts in Jewish tradition, and most Christians don't think much about it to decide to call God anything but God.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Not sure why people here don't like to use the word "god" but there is an ancient tradition related to the practice....

The ineffibale Name of God, the Shem HaMeforash, YHVH, was known only by the High Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem, and uttered by him only once each year, on Yom Kippur, and then, only in the Holy of Holies. So holy, so powerful was this secret name that anyone other than the High Priest who uttered it would die -- and even he could be struck down by God if he mispronounced it for some reason.

Source

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reptius
I've begun to notice this more and more people will say things like "Go to god." or "Pray to god" without ever classifying which god they meant. Do they mean Yahweh the Christian god or Thor or Loki or Zeus?Am I just suppose to assume someone is a Christian because they used the word God or what? It also seems rather cocky , like you think your good is the one true god. Now I know in the bible Yahweh says he's the one true good but other then that there's no real specific proof that there's only one good out there. Once again religions like Hinduism and Norse paganism is both have multiple gods.

There is as many gods as there is many Antichrist people out there.

Look at the american dollar for instance, IN GOD WE TRUST and then the pyramid with the all watching eye, that! there alone tells you what kind of god or gods ( Trinity ) they are talking about.

Very few of us believe in the only one true God of creation "Yahweh"

edit on 7-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I've begun to notice this more and more people will say things like "Go to god." or "Pray to god" without ever classifying which god they meant. Do they mean Yahweh the Christian god or Thor or Loki or Zeus?Am I just suppose to assume someone is a Christian because they used the word God or what? It also seems rather cocky , like you think your good is the one true god. Now I know in the bible Yahweh says he's the one true good but other then that there's no real specific proof that there's only one good out there. Once again religions like Hinduism and Norse paganism is both have multiple gods.

It is a way of being halfway political correct as Christians come to terms with other gods or at least a different view of the same god. You mustn't offend any believer, so you generalize the term to be acceptable to any ear without knowing exactly how that ear is tuned to the concept of god (if at all).

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Its because there are many many beliefs in the Highest Goodness and Love, and the word God is interfaith, interdenominational.

We don't all agree on what the Highest Goodness and Love is called. Even as a Christian I know that all religions are made by the bloodlines and contain many many traps and dark squares. There are two paths in them, only one is graduation from this planet, and thats the one of unconditional love and kindness, not smiting, jugments and retaliation. Both are in all the religions, along with a lot of codes for cycles, ancient egyptian astrology and other stuff.

God to some is the Good Family to others, all God means is Goodness.

No one on earth knows the name of Father/Mother or Prime Creator of this universe.

El means Saturn in the ancient Caanite. I wouldnt be using the other names of any of the Judiac faiths eithers since the bloodines code all the names.

The Highest Love and Goodness works for me.

And the Spirit of Peace and Love,

The Good Family and Father/Mother.

But infinity isn't one. Turn the pyramid upside down, to infinite family, equality and progression.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

No one on earth knows the name of Father/Mother or Prime Creator of this universe.

are you sure about that?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Human4life

You know Dad's name? He's not El. and there is no name that Judaism, Islam or Christianity has that is his name.

I've experienced Him. He's my spirit/soul's Father and most of all, DAD.

He's not Jehovah, Adonai, Allah, or any name any group calls him.

Again, no one does. The dark siders/leaders and religious leaders all are fed distortions.

The Highest Love and Goodness works for me, occasionaly God, but that incorporates the Good Family. Mom/Dad, is good too. And the Spirit of Peace and Love.

edit on 7-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
God in he shes all knowing wisdom has changed his name to dana.
As that is a girls or boys name and god is politically correct here in America.
O but its the girl god who got the angles and humans after the brake up .
You know it happened right after eve had a snake.
hey dont you think she looks kind like Dawn wells (aka Maryann from Gilligans island)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Mine doesn't have a name. OR depending on how you look at it, it has all of the names. I believe they are all one and the same God. I don't really need to specify which God, because they are all the same to me.

Now, sometimes on ATS I will say "your God" because of people like you that need specificity and get caught up on little semantics that cause them to miss the big picture.

God is God. Doesn't matter what you call it, or how you address it, or how you personify it (which is a dumb thing to do.)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

If using the name of God is entirely inappropriate, why does it appear almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew text?

Satan has used false religion to hinder people from coming to know God by name.

'Knowing God's name' means more than merely having head knowledge of the fact that his name is Yahweh.

THE position of God's name is unshakable in the Hebrew Scriptures, the "Old Testament." Although the Jews eventually stopped pronouncing it, their religious beliefs prevented them from removing the name when they made copies of older manuscripts of the Bible. Hence, the Hebrew Scriptures contain God's name more often than any other name.

With the Christian Greek Scriptures, the "New Testament," the situation is different. Manuscripts of the book of Revelation (the last book of the Bible) have God's name in its abbreviated form, "Jah," (in the word "Hallelujah"). But apart from that, no ancient Greek manuscript that we possess today of the books from Matthew to Revelation contains God's name in full. Does that mean that the name should not be there? That would be surprising in view of the fact that Jesus' followers recognized the importance of God's name, and Jesus taught us to pray for God's name to be sanctified. So what happened?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
God in he shes all knowing wisdom has changed his name to dana.
As that is a girls or boys name and god is politically correct here in America.
O but its the girl god who got the angles and humans after the brake up .
You know it happened right after eve had a snake.
hey dont you think she looks kind like Dawn wells (aka Maryann from Gilligans island)

I just cant believe people would believe in that kind of
about our creator, thats exactly what I mean, they believe in other gods exept the true God of creation.

Thats not right.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Human4life

You know Dad's name? He's not El. and there is no name that Judaism, Islam or Christianity has that is his name.

I've experienced Him. He's my spirit/soul's Father and most of all, DAD.

He's not Jehovah, Adonai, Allah, or any name any group calls him.

Again, no one does. The dark siders/leaders and religious leaders all are fed distortions.

The Highest Love and Goodness works for me, occasionaly God, but that incorporates the Good Family. Mom/Dad, is good too. And the Spirit of Peace and Love.

Unity99, you have done it again. My thoughts exactly. Having studied into the various "Gods" of the Bible and all, I began to think they were all aliens, just higher life forms from other worlds. The true Mother and Father lives in everything there is. They have no hate, do not demand sacrifice, or donations, do not live in buildings or temples, nor get themselves involved in the affairs of humankind. Father and Mother were always there, and always will be there, and all we have to do is find a way back to them, our parents, after all. "As Above, So Below."
Bless you Unity! Love and Light from Autowrench

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So if we humans are made in God's image, why dont we have a Penis and a Virgina at the same time?

I can't believe there's people out there that thinking of this, to tell you the truth is disturbing and grotesque.

Forget I ask, this dosent square with common sense and comprehension, these are not a teaching of the holy scripts.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

coz you might get smoted if you got it wrong.

try it.

say all the names of god and see what happens.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yahweh is not God. Yahweh is En.lil from Sumeria. His brother is Ea-En.Ki-Posidon (He Whose House is Water). They were just two of the original pantheon of 12 Anunnaki. Marduk (Ra) and Ningishzidda (Thoth) are both Ea's sons. The "Serpent" in the Garden of Eden was Ea, not the devil. Notice that the serpent told the truth about the fruit of the tree (mushroom). Yahweh lied. They did not die, instead there eyes were opened (knew how to procreate). This enraged Yahweh because he did not wish for the Adam to know all and see all. Snakes have always been associated with wisdom. The Bible is not the oldest version of makinds creation in Africa. The church adopted Lucifer as being the devil. This is not true. The name comes form Latin . Lux (light) Ferre (to carry). How can the devil be the bringer of light? God is all.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
Yahweh is not God. Yahweh is En.lil from Sumeria. His brother is Ea-En.Ki-Posidon (He Whose House is Water). They were just two of the original pantheon of 12 Anunnaki. Marduk (Ra) and Ningishzidda (Thoth) are both Ea's sons. The "Serpent" in the Garden of Eden was Ea, not the devil. Notice that the serpent told the truth about the fruit of the tree (mushroom). Yahweh lied. They did not die, instead there eyes were opened (knew how to procreate). This enraged Yahweh because he did not wish for the Adam to know all and see all. Snakes have always been associated with wisdom. The Bible is not the oldest version of makinds creation in Africa. The church adopted Lucifer as being the devil. This is not true. The name comes form Latin . Lux (light) Ferre (to carry). How can the devil be the bringer of light? God is all.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

Is obvious your a Hybrid, and you know your days are counted, you blame God for your father Satan? Soon you will feel the wrath of the son of man Yeshuah.

The hell with the hybrid, down with your new world order.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
@Why do people say "God" without giving the specific name of said God?, All are of the same yes. It just may be more decent and respectful to call the GOD instead of actual name to those who may be ignorant to his name but still respect a higher power/love being. Saying the name to many who may not understand may cause segragation with the many LIGHTS here so its more peaceful to say GOD. I see my family of Earth practice being positive and loving but are of different religions do I distract them with the name or allow them to eventually learn it thru seeking?

NAMASTE*******

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The name "God" is the universal word for 'higher power'. Kinda like saying: "Allah" (not that i'm a muslim). If you want to get old school technical....God's name is JEHOVAH:

Jehovah - The Lord - Exodus 6:2-3
Jehovah-Adon Kal Ha'arets- Lord of Earth - Josh 3:13
Jehovah-Bara - Lord Creator - Isaiah 40:28
Jehovah-Chatsahi - Lord my Strength - Psalm 27:1
Jehovah-Chereb - Lord the Sword - Deut. 33:29
Jehovah-Eli - Lord my God - Psalm 18:2
Jehovah-Elyon - Lord Most High - Psalm 38:2
Jehovah-Gador Milchamah - Mighty in Battle - Ps 24:8
Jehovah-Ganan - Lord Our Defense - Ps 89:18
Jehovah-Go'el - Lord My Redeemer - Is. 49:26, 60:16
Jehovah-Hamelech - Lord King - Psalm 98:6
Jehovah-Hashopet - Lord My Judge - Judges 11:27
Jehovah-Helech 'Olam - Lord King Forever Ps10:16
Jehovah-Hoshe'ah - Lord Saves - Psalm 20:9
Jehovah-Jireh - Provider - Gen. 22:14, I John 4:9, Philip 4:19
Jehovah-Kabodhi - Lord my Glory - Psalm 3:3
Jehovah-Kanna - Lord Jealous - Ex 34:14
Jehovah-Keren-Yish'i - Horn of Salvation - Ps 18:2
Jehovah-M'Kaddesh - Sanctifier - I Corinthians 1:30
Jehovah-Machsi - Lord my Refuge - Psalm 91:9
Jehovah-Magen - Lord my Shield - Deut. 33:29
Jehovah-Ma'oz - Lord my Fortress - Jer. 16:19
Jehovah-Mephalti - Lord my Deliverer - Psalm 18:2
Jehovah-Metshodhathi - Lord my Fortress - Psalm 18:2
Jehovah-Misqabbi - Lord my High Tower - Psalm 18:2
Jehovah-M'gaddishcem - Lord my Sanctifier - Ex 31:13
Jehovah-Naheh - Lord who Smites - Ezekiel 7:9
Jehovah-Nissi - Banner - I Chronicles 29:11-13
Jehovah-Rohi - Shepherd - Psalm 23
Jehovah-Rophe - Healer - Isaiah 53:4,5
Jehovah-Sabaoth - Lord of Hosts - I Sam 1:3
Jehovah-Sel'i - Lord my Rock - Psalm 18:2
Jehovah-Shalom - Lord my Peace - Isaiah 9:6, Rom 8:31-35
Jehovah-Shammah - Lord is Present - Hebrews 13:5
Jehovah-Tsidkenu - Lord my Righteousness - I Cor 1:30
Jehovah-Tsori - Lord my Strength - Psalm 19:14
Jehovah-Yasha - Lord my Savior - Isaiah 49:26
Jehovah-'Ez-Lami - Lord my Strength - Ps 28:7
Jehovah-'Immeku - Lord Is With You - Judges 6:12
Jehovah-'Izoa Hakaboth - Lord Strong -Mighty - Ps 24:8
Jehovah-'Ori - Lord my Light - Psalm 27:1
Jehovah-'Uzam - Lord Strength in Trouble - Is 49:26

Don't people actually READ the B.I.B.L.E., or do they actually think they know it...cuz they've "read" it? And people wonder why their lives are messed up.??? Try calling on the right God...by calling HIM by HIS right NAME! Study, dear children, STUDY!!!!

edit on 7-10-2011 by nuttin4U because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Hey Ophicius

Outside of the weird and wacky world of 'professional Theologeans', most English speaking persons who use the term 'god' mono-theistically (i.e. as a single god-like entity, as opposed to 'the gods', TEND to refer (whether they know it or not !!!!) to the post Exilic (post 520 BCE) national clan-god of Yisro'el hailed after 500 BCE as THE one and only 'true-clan-god' i,e, YHWH ('yah-weh') - especially the Americans who have weird phrases on their coinage e.g. 'In God We Trust...' without specifying that actual name of the 'god' referred-to on the coin - but when questioned about it, invariably people say 'the god of the bible' which is YHWH the national clan-god of post-exilic Yisro'el - i.e. as opposed to Brahma, or Dagon, or Shiva, or Chemosh, or Vishnu, or Ba'al, or Agni, or Sikk'un, or Mitra or Astarte, or Aset (Gk. Isis) or Wusir (Gk. Osiris) or Attanuzzi (Gk. Adonis) or Bull-El or Set or Dis or Poseidon (Lat. Neptunus) or Apollo etal.

But of course, one must remember that YHWH was only one of literally hundreds of (national and tribal) clan gods widely worshipped for centuries in the middle east before the 'Amoritish' benei Yisro'el began to make their encroaching, violent ('tent-dwelling-semi-nomadic') appearance on the hill country of Canaan c. 1200BCE whom the Egyptians styled 'Hapiru' (i.e. 'armed land-stealing nomads') because during times of famine, they moved into the Sinai and Egypt proper to water their flocks - only to be captured as slaves for brickworks and store-cities etc.

YHWH seems to have been worshipped alongside a goddess or two (one of them was ASHERAH the wife of ASHUR, the clan god of the Assyrians with 4 faces (of a lion, bull, eagle and man - see Hez. chapter 1 and chapter 10 - although the Rebbes don't allow Goyim to read those chapters or even their own kind - until they are 40 years old, and male !!), whose cult was introduced into Eretz Yisro'el c. 721 BCE to 701 BCE when the 10 (later lost) tribes of northern territory ('Yisro'el') were conquored and shipped off to Assyria ('the Ten Lost Tribes') to be replaced by, well, law abiding Assyrians !!

It would be an interesting 'assignment' randomly to interview Americans 'on the street' to ask them which 'clan god' is meant on the American coinage (in-god-we-trust) - most would probably say 'the god of the bible' by which they refer to the post Exilic clan god of post Exilic Yisro'el - but most would not be familiar with the actual name of the god - they might even add 'Edonai' ('my LORD' - the word orthodox Jews use when they come to YHWH in any Hebrew text) Vowells to YHWH and come up with something that sounds like...well, Jehovah !!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join