It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast growing plants for a survival community

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by Human0815

Ping Pong?
What does this have to do with quick growing, sustainible foods?

Ping Pong, Ping Pong (The Sound of Agreement)

I have one more, Poppies!
They also need only a few Month, are more than easy to grow
and a very strong in Fats.
The Seeds are wonderful for Oil and good in Bread!

[Disclaimer] Do not use this Plant in a abusive manner![/Disclaimer]

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You need to learn about crop rotation and composting and feeding or you might end up with one season of food and nothing for after.

I've discovered carrots are not the easiest thing in the world to grow and I thought they were.

Courgettes are very fast growing and you end up with loads.

Thornless big brambles that you buy from garden catalogues are nowhere near as tasty as the wild prickly ones.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
sweet potatoes also rot very fast.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Grow rosemary between different crops rosemary is also a natural pest repelling plant and it's wonderful in breads.

I would add mint. It is easy to grow (too easy) Great to cook with. But it can take over a garden

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Spinach or chard both grow fast have iron and need little maintenance.

carrots do well in some areas.. not mine though.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
dont forget your need for VIT C

a small hot orange/red pepper (of many varieties, ie, habanero or scotch bonnet) supplies more Vit c than a huge lemon, orange, or even grapefruit!

speaking of citrus, calamondin oranges are mandarin-link but everbearing even in a tiny pot in ned-low light indoor conditions.

for protein, think peanuts, peas, lentils, beans ie soya

and your roots for carbs

keep a seed bank envelope of the most common veggies - tomato, cukes, carrot

for greens, wild pigweed, dandelion, and lambs ears grow wild in practically every backyard and are super healthy & hearty, for a leafy green!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

True. That's why its best to harvest only what you will consume immediately. Potatoes last longer, but is not the easiest to grow.

Sweet potatoes also need a wider area, though.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
For fast growth, turnip greens...easy to grow and unless there is a bitter winter, will supply fresh greens and roots from mid September until April.

Landscape with fruits...blueberries as hedges,,, strawberries as ground covers...grapes on trellises and fence lines... apple and pear trees for shade...

Lettuces...if you don't cut the plant core or stalk and only pull the leaves you need, lettuce will give until it bolts in warm weather...then I feed it to my pigs.

Potatoes will last, but they need complete darkness and good airflow...I set mine on hay or straw in single layers...will last from digging in July till spring of the following year... I have been doing so for years and years...same with onions..
dark, dry, cool, and good airflow are the keys.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As far as animals go...chickens are the best at converting forage into protein...eggs and meat.

Rabbita are next and then goats. These animals take in less protein and feed than they provide, and in self sufficient farming...that is key to surviving or turning a profit.

So why do I like pigs? Pigs are easy to raise...really easy. MUST HAVE a good solid fence...enough room for them to be happy. Sounds weird, but by making the pigs or any animals happy, they are not upset...which means less adrenalin and body chemicals..which makes tender and tastier meat... same principle is used in Kobe Beef...anyway, pigs eat most anything, so if you raise your own feed...you have a good set up...I raise turnip greens and root crops for my pigs...cheap, very efficient, long lasting food source all winter, nutricious, and mostly free...a single turnip seed the size of a pepper corn will make a 1-2 pound turnip plus greens... heck of conversion rate there.

When you kiill the pig... you get lots of meat. Last year we killed two hogs...about 300 lbs a piece... we got over 300 pounds of sausage and then another 100-150 lbs of tenderloins, chops, backbone, ribs, and innards...heart, lungs, liver and such. I literally had a pickup truck load of meat. My cost at the end was around 2.29 a pound...that included buying, feeding, killing and processing...not so good for backbone and neckbones...but for tenderloin pork roasts...wow, what a bargain. And no antibiotics, growth hormones, etc... all good meat... and in my freezer still.

Oh, and when they give birth, it is in litters of 8-12 piglets. So, an avg gestation rate of 5-6 months means 2 litters a year. At avg 9 piglets per litter or 18 piglets...and sell them at 8 weeks for 50.00..that equals...900.00 dollars per year.
edit on 6-10-2011 by AlreadyGone because: ad endum

top topics

<< 1   >>

join