It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Word Nazis Be Gone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Same crap different day different thread its always the same o same o around here doesnt matter the forum doesnt matter the topic being discussed attack the poster attack their intelligence via their typing skills.

i am sick to death of that crap and it is crap word nazis thats what they are thats all they do dehumanize the poster time and time again they put themselves on their pedestals looking down at others and act all childish.

well folks this aint school this aint english class and some people like me havent sit in front of a computer in their formative years.

the above is what i had what i grew up on and what most people couldnt afford the only place was school for a time and needless to say google,youtube,facebook and twitter didnt exist neither did ats what we had was a far cry from what the elitists have today

you know those people who going around acting like 2 years olds and make an issue out of nothing so what good does perfect spelling and punctuation mean when the the topics are far more important than that crap.

i am one fed up poster had enough and if youve had enough of that speak your mind.

this is ats not school.
edit on 2-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What do spelling Nazi's, serial killers and OCD sufferers all have in common? A need to control their perceived environment.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I agree the argument should be the primary concern when reading a post, but taking shortcuts with grammar tends to make one's written statements come across as naive, uneducated or even lazy. Correct punctuation, in my opinion, shows stronger regard for your audience than incorrect punctuation and misspelled words. Going further, it's good practice for other activities in life, especially if you have to work for a living. In the end, it is a message board, and language in the future might trend toward shortcuts or less rigor around spelling, but there is nothing wrong with working toward being better at things in life, including mastery of the written word...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
HEY! why worry about grammar or spelling....
i mean, aren't we suppose to make our life as easy as possible?
shortcuts perhaps?
isn't that THE AMERICAN WAY?....

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Removed my post as I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were complaining about the casual use of he word Nazi.

Will teach me not to jump the gun for a while.

edit on 2-10-2011 by Skellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I never thought I'd agree with neo on anything, but I do on this. Correcting someones grammar and spelling do not add to the quality of a discussion.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is difficult to take one seriously in an important discussion if there is a total disregard for punctuation, spelling, coherency, and formulation of thought. Your opinion may be valid but the majority who are intelligent enough to write properly may just dismiss slang, or weirdly written posts altogether. Now there shouldn't be too much importance placed on little spelling errors or grammatical errors, but some posts out there are beyond ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously in important discussions bring some smarts to the table. If you want to spell and write like a 6th grader, go to another forum or thicken your skijn and be prepared to take the heat.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by allstarninja

I'll bite...and agreed.

The difference between a quick post and a well written/thought out one is immeasurable. Personally, I don't harp on bad spelling like others, but I will take a well written Op more seriously. Plus...you're just lazy if you can't hit a spell check up now and then. The choice is yours.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Those spelling and grammar nazi's are idiots. Spelling and grammar are just man made constructs that require nothing more then memorization of sequences of letters for spelling and memorization of sets of rules for grammar. They are not sciences, you can teach a monkey to both. For most of them it is the only thing they can do well, so they latch on to it and pretend like it is some indicator of intelligence, and use it as some sort of ad hominem "I win this debate since you spelled "---" wrong. Most of them only speak one language too, and ignore the fact that there are thousands of languages out there and they are good at only one.

Odd they are not so anal with other man-made constructs like the dewy decimal system or belittling people for using the wrong fork while eating a salad.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Reply to neo96

As a point of principle I agree with you, but all too often poor grammar, spelling and punctuation can make a post difficult to read or even say something different to what was intended. Some of your replies also have a good point when they say that a correctly written post carries extra weight. That's true it does! Perception is everything.

Eats, shoots and leaves...
edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
dont see too many people belittling those who fought in the revolutionary war face it every person in this country owes their freedom to a bunch of people who could neither read nor write.

and i do take issue of those who shoot the messenger instead of the message and perfect typing skill do not and has not ever denoted intelligence.

having been on the site for over a year i have earned my right to say something about it and for someone tell other people to leave the site for typing skills?

nah that dog dont hunt either.
edit on 2-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Or you could just use proper English or whatever.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Word Nazis are bad... but I hear regular Nazis are bad too. You know, the kind who disapprove of peaceful protesting, and things of that nature?
edit on 2-10-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Take a dictionary and an English grammar, sit down and write your post again, properly spelled and punctuated, so that the rest of us can understand what you are saying.

Take your time; there is no hurry. Thank you for your kind cooperation.

By the way, the world doesn’t exist to pander to the whims of spoilt little brats.

top topics

join