It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK parliament to debate referendum on quitting EU

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well this is a turn up for the books. Seemingly the UK Parliament will debate, wither or not the UK should remain within the E.U. And for once David Cameron cannot stop the Debate. If UK MP's vote in favor of a referendum. It is binding. David Cameron will not be able to avoid it.

British Eurosceptics are cock-a-hoop over a decision to hold a parliamentary vote on a referendum on whether the country should leave the European Union. The move is unlikely to please Prime Minister David Cameron, who opposes the referendum.

The Commons Backbench Business Committee will agree to grant a one-day debate on a referendum after parliament returns next week, The Daily Mail has learnt.

Will we ever be able to have a chance on our Future in the EU? What do other member this on this announcement.

RT.COM

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I haven't made my mind up on whether we should be in Europe or not, however, even if we do have a referendum on the matter the government can still decide to ignore the results...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If the UK quits the EU, they won't be able to compete against China, Russia and the US. They will go down fast.
The future is the EU. Single countries can't survive in the future.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

My prediction:
They will debate,but will decide to stay in,and not have a vote on it.
They are locked into the scam now.
£40million a day that we could be using to sort out our countries problem's is being handed to the EU-and that is just the cost of membership!

What a total bloody con IMO.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
More Information on this article:

David Cameron and William Hague have today said they have no wish to hold a referendum on Europe as MPs are set to discuss whether there should be one.

It was revealed today MPs are set to vote on a referendum before Christmas after a petition with more than 100,000 signatures was submitted calling for the public to be given the chance to decide whether Britain should stay in the EU.

Well you weep what you soe, as they say. They started the E-petitions off. If they go against the wishes of the People then the governments e petition site is a complete scam.

Daily Mail

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Yeah

We will have a referendum but the government is not bound by the decision.

If they dont act after a resounding "no" I wonder how long that government will last? Not very I suspect!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Will there be a vote after the debate to decide whether to have a referendum?

If so, I think we will find that the maority of our elected member will vote against a referendum. Labour are Lib Dems are committed and there are a number of Tories who feel the same.

Personally, I think we should get the hell out, but it won't happen. If we took a leaf out of Norway's book they seem to be doing alright and are not a member of the E.U.

Unfortunately we have too many Bilderbergers at the top of the Political pile, therefore we will remain.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

MP's are set to vote before Christmas according to the article. But agrees Labour will probably side with the Government and vote against it. After all they have done this one before. I find it bizarre William Hague comes out in favor of the EU, days after he called it a burning building with no fire exits.

One thing will be exposed if they do not give us a chance to have a say. Their E-Petitions are a scam and it will be exposed as such by those who have faith in it.
edit on 2-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Well I think the E-Petition thing was put in place to somehow try to demonstrate how in touch they are with the plebs. If it actually means doing something the plebs want, well that will never happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Yeah,you know the sort of vote it will be-one where the party whips force members to "tow the party line" as they always do.

As long as the gov are seen to be "pretending" to be democratic,then all is well on this once happy isle.
Sad state of affairs IMO.
Oh and William Hague should be ashamed of himself-it was only a day or two ago he described the EU as a "burning building with no way out."

Now today,he is all "we must stay in the EU."

Make your mind up William,FFS.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It does make me wonder what would happen to UK and other EU citizens who have emmigrated to other countries within the EU?

ie Would Uk citizens who have moved to Spain for example, still be allowed to live there and likewise would people who have moved to the UK to live from Poland for example, still be legally allowed to stay in the UK?

Would properties be affected etc or is it likely that those who relocated before any future withdrawl would be allowed to stay.

Just my thoughts on this, considering that I am hoping to move to France shortly.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by studio500

Well the UK are going to head on a coalition course with the EU, if the Home Secretary has her way. She wants the UK to scrap the European convention on Human rights, claiming it impedes the Home Office from Deporting people from the UK.

The Home Secretary has backed calls for the Human Rights Act to be scrapped because she claims it hinders the Government's attempts to deport some foreign suspects.

Sky News

And on top of this you have the EU Demanding that the British Government, pay benefits to immigrants or refugees who come to the UK.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So a lot of things going on right now which I am not saying it will, but it might annoy a lot of UK People.
edit on 2-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: To add link

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Well the UK are going to head on a coalition course with the EU, if the Home Secretary has her way. She wants the UK to scrap the European convention on Human rights, claiming it impedes the Home Office from Deporting people from the UK.
The European convention on Human rights is only related to the EU because some (if not all) EU members are also members of the Council of Europe, the one responsible for the European convention on Human rights.

As for the UK leaving the EU, I find it unlikely, there must be too many people happy with the status quo on both sides of the channel for that to happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Nothing in Parliament is binding, like the Law everything is precedent. Or at least it was under the old rules, they don't apply now, now thanks to Blair everything is superceded by European Law due to the Lisbon Treaty. It would not surprise me that even if the MPs voted to let us have the referendum, the referendum returned a massive vote in favour of leaving the EU, the treaty that the war criminal Blair signed meant the right to leave the EU was signed away. It would be interesting to get a legal opinion on whether we could leave the EU even if we wanted to leave!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
EU = Cheap labour.

Cheap labour means bigger profits for bosses.

Bigger profits = we stay in the EU.

We the so called people have no say, we are just here to foot the bill.

Democracy in this country = the choice of a few out weighs the choice of the many and control of the media just makes it look like the fairy tale is true.

We need the option to vote for NONE OF THE ABOVE. Why? Because then they cannot claim a no vote is apathy.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
Or at least it was under the old rules, they don't apply now, now thanks to Blair everything is superceded by European Law due to the Lisbon Treaty.
Are you sure about that?

I have seen many people saying it but I have yet to see any real evidence of that.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think there are two seperate, but very important issues here.

Firstly we have the issue of continued UK membership of the EU.
Personally I have no desire for this country to continue with it's membership of such a corrupt, wasteful and dictatorial organisation that the EU seems to be.
In addition it seems to be anti-UK in it's policies and in particular anti-England.

The people of the UK voted for membership of a Trade Organisation, not political union with european nations and a loss of sovereignty and say over the running of our ow country.

Which brings us onto the next issue.
How we are governed and who makes such decisions.

Every Prime Minister since Heath and the Monarch have been guilty and a party to the treasonous transfer of sovereignty to foreign powers.
The British people have had no say on the matter.
Now we have a situation where a petition of 100,000 signatures has forced the government to try schedule a parliametary debate on whether we should have a national referendum on continued membership of the EU.
However, the schedule is tight and they may not be able to fit it in before the Christmas recess.

And now we get to the crux of the matter; if there is a vote after the debate then Cameron will issue either a two or three line whip ensuring adhesion to the party line.
And then, in the unlikely event that Cameron loses the vote and Parliament votes for a National Referendum he is not bound to hold a referendum.
And he won't because he believes it's wrong to do so and the British people don't want to leave the EU.

Well isn't that just a clear example of 'tranparent government' and listening to the people.

If he is so convinced that the British people wish to remain in the EU then give us the opportunity we have been denied for so long to vote on it.

The simple fact of the matter is that a petition with 10,000,000 signatures could be sent in to Downing Street and they would still ignore the will of the people.
edit on 2/10/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Where did you get the 40 million figure from if you dont mind me asking? Not that i disbelieve you, just that if i amto use this as an argument then i need my facts backed up. Thanks in advance. cheerz chaz

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Here's one reference for you: Supremacy of EU Law over UK Law

Do you want more?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Sadly not going to happen.. I really would like a vote, simply to put this issue to bed once and for all..

As I see it we (Britain) just sit on the fence where the EU is concerned, we should either be playing a full and active role in making the EU better/stronger.. or going our own way.

I personally lean towards going our own way as the EU seems to me out to become the next Superpower and to be honest I do not want to see Britain dragged again into those games (been going on since Constantine (the Great) used the armies of Britain and Gaul to reunite the broken Roman Empire)

I also feel we should make the same break away from the US..

Perhaps we could focus on helping bring the poorer Commonwealth nations a better standard of living, so they can feed themselves and what not..

we have the skills to help them achieve that (without raping them of their resources) which in turn will help us develop our own skills and industries again rather than relying on others to provide those skills and industries.

I know.. my dreams are as much pie in the sky as us being allowed the power to decide our own future for a change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join