It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wow Signal...from 1977.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Was watching a satellite show called 'Through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman" and the Wow signal discovered a few decades ago was mentioned, according to the show a once only signal of note was interpreted and has never been heard again..they say TV is for ignoramuses, but it can actually educate ignoramuses like me who had no idea of this event.
Below is a Wiki link covering the subject.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is truly curious , perhaps it will take millenium before such a signal is ever found again?

Below is a link with a very readable account of the Wow Signal.

www.damninteresting.com...

And a link from the same site explaining the code and its importance
www.bigear.org...
edit on 1-10-2011 by Dr Expired because: added link

edit on 1-10-2011 by Dr Expired because: fixed missing link

edit on 1-10-2011 by Dr Expired because: Repaired link paste

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Popular subject on ATS...

www.abovetopsecret.com... - 9/4/2011
www.abovetopsecret.com... - 5/4/2010
www.abovetopsecret.com... - 8/16/2007

Just to name a few

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thanks for that info will read them and see what the opinion on ATS is on this exciting subject.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, if it happened once and only once Occam's Razor would slice that as a glitch.

WOW is my internet/cable provider. I'm thinking of going back to Roadrunner with Time Warner since WOW dropped the NFL channel, the only reason I choose to switch to them because a dish is out of the question where I now live.

I only say that because that was the first hit on your Wiki link, that was a list of links and not an article.

BTW I never really heard of that in particular, though I have heard of similar radio signals from space detected by much larger arrays, that never panned out to be anything. And yes I read at the end of the Damn Interesting article that Arecibo radio telescope sent a message out into space in 1974, it was only sent once.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip off ...the link should be working ok now.
Always pays to check the strength of the links.
The fact that the "wow" signal was only heard once ...could entice an active imagination to speculate whether an intelligent life form realsied the signal was being listened to somehow ....and switched to another level of transmission?
Or they blocked it?
Or it was aan SOS from an impending doomed civilistation?

Who knows but ...it deserves rememberance perhaps?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I didn't mean to diss the thread (about something I was not privy to) but it's funny you mention a distress signal perhaps, as scenes of Star Trek or other sci fi movies were going through my head while reading about it. Apparently we couldn't help. Maybe some millennium we could. (Most depictions of dates in sci fi movies are really exceedingly optimistic), mankind has quite a ways to go yet to be a player in the celestial game, if there is one.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's funny you posted about this signal. I too first learned of this signal today while reading a popular science magazine. Wow that's Weird. Anyone ever get any info from the recording?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

As far as the links provided state no.
They do not represent any discernable message if I read the post correctly, just a highly unusual transmission sequence?
It could have even been a hoax, but these scientists seem hard core earnest types who would havei nvestigated that possibility.
Was also watching a conspiracy debunking show on HAARP but it wasn't a very convincing skeptical presentation.
Seems like a good day to be pondering.

new topics

top topics

join