It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is no one Talking about this NEO????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
According to the hisz.rsoe.hu... website , this thing is literally in the red.

(2009 TM8) 17th October 2011 17 day(s) 0.0023 0.9 5.1 m - 11 m 8.18 km/s 29448 km/h

I honestly don't know much about these and I am not a "fearmonger" by any means but isn't this one a little too close for comfort? Can someone please explain to me why there are no threads tracking this NEO? Also, being this close to earth, could it affect us?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Cool, i was getting elenin withdraw symptons, i need my fix of 1000 plus posts a day about elenin!

More doom , cool, now i just need to buy enough popcorn!!!.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Not that I am an expert but I think that at that size, if it were pulled in and broke our atmosphere it would burn up before it hit the ground. However, I also noticed this object on the same site before and wondered why no one else had mentioned it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Possible because it's less then 11 meters in diameter so if it comes close enough to enter Earth atmosphere it will more than likely just burn up. I really doubt this is any reason for concern. No ELE's here.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Sorry nevermind
edit on 30-9-2011 by Pixie777 because: change

link   
Well, it's much closer to the moon than to us.
.9 lunar distance.

Plus, it needs to have a fancy name that people can turn into something nefarious, like elenin.

link   

Originally posted by Jerisa
According to the hisz.rsoe.hu... website , this thing is literally in the red.

(2009 TM8) 17th October 2011 17 day(s) 0.0023 0.9 5.1 m - 11 m 8.18 km/s 29448 km/h

I honestly don't know much about these and I am not a "fearmonger" by any means but isn't this one a little too close for comfort? Can someone please explain to me why there are no threads tracking this NEO? Also, being this close to earth, could it affect us?

The chart shows it will be .9 LD. That means it's a hair short of being 1 moon distance. To keep perspective, if you search JPL databases, we have objects passing that closer or closer all the time. At 5-11 meters in estimated diameter, it means whatever survived wouldn't do much at all, even if coming in at max velocity at sharpest degree. Nothing to worry about here.... It won't even be close enough to catch a glimpse of unless something really odd happens in light reflections.

RSOE is a site I check daily just to see if something really interesting happened. They code this one red because it is under 1 Lunar Distance. Again...so are hundreds of objects a year...but RSOE doesn't track most of the little stuff, so I guess they figure a close pass in what they DO track is worth a color change. Still...nothing to see (literally) and certainly nothing to worry about unless it landed right on your house.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I don't know why it is "in the red". It could be because there is quite a bit of uncertainty in its orbit. A the closest it will miss Earth by 93,000 miles.

2009 TM8 is only 23 feet across and poses no risk even if it did enter the atmosphere. It would break up.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 9/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixie777

scroll down to the bottom of the page.
second line

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Wow that site is all about getting you afraid
not one explicit piece of info on it just generalizations no exacting data on sickness bio-hazards or anything else... in answer to your question its in between 5 and 11 meters so it is not that threatening of a rock, I believe this was one of the objects discussed the other day at the NASA briefing.
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

This one WAS closer and bigger.

Name 2011 SE58
Closest Sep 27
Distance 0.6 LD
Size, 13 m

Keep an eye on the bottom of the page on www.spaceweather.com...

All NEO are listed there and you will see that many are listed.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Actually, I made the same assumption about a lack of information from the RSOE site at first. Click on the Details bubble on the right...and when the screen that tells you absolutely nothing useful pops up, click Description from the top line.

There is the information about what the listing is actually talking about. Once the right screen is up, they actually give a great level of detail in most of what they have up there. You'd think they'd link to that directly from the details bubble but I guess that would be too logical. People might find it or something.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by shinzaun

Yea, thanks, I found it, I just never bothered scrolling down before, I normally just look at the map itself, but thanks
I was a little lost there for a sec

edit on 30-9-2011 by Pixie777 because: typo

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I name It DEMON SPHERE 1000.
Now to exaggerate the size and speed and the trailing aliens from the Zorgan sector 12

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

OH GOD, DEMON SPHERE????

I heard the Hopi predicted the coming of a celestial body named 'Demus circulus'
That must be it!
ARGHHHH
etc.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69

I name It DEMON SPHERE 1000.
Now to exaggerate the size and speed and the trailing aliens from the Zorgan sector 12

Oh no, it's my thread, I get to name it......"Killer Bunny"

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I name It DEMON SPHERE 1000. Now to exaggerate the size and speed and the trailing aliens from the Zorgan sector 12

----------------------------

reply to post by Deplume

OH GOD, DEMON SPHERE????
I heard the Hopi predicted the coming of a celestial body named 'Demus circulus'
That must be it!
ARGHHHH
etc.

That should do it

Those names could really catch on, and we even have a Hopi prophecy and a Latin name to make it true.
And Zorgan Section 12, we all know what awful stuff comes out of there.

If there ever was to be a massive comet (something like Apophis) that actually hits us, or a rogue planet, most of us won't even know about it, we'll be gone so fast. If we were to actually see it coming, we would only have time to express "oh sh**" and we'd be no more......

Enjoy the good stuff, we shouldn't be afraid of what's in space - life's too short as it is

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I believe nobody is paying attention to it due to its size. I saw it listed in red this morning, but then looked at it's size comparatively....pretty darn small.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
YU55 is WAY scarier due to the fact that it's huge.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

175 meters
Coming .8 LD
November 8th

Still 'far' off even at its closest on the 8th of November, but still a pretty big comet none the less.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Deadscreameyes

It isn't a comet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join