It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Glorification of Guilt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
With this thread I would like to share my personal experience of a deep-rooted guilt and how it has been unwittingly glorified over the years. I would also like to hear of your personal experiences of guilt and how it has affected your life.

Early in my life I took possession of a guilt not my own, but my father's. This seed of guilt grew in me to become something so pervasive that I recognized it only as a great strength in stoicism.

It wasn't just me but my whole family and everyone I surrounded myself with that protected and glorified this stoicism, this personality that imagined itself to take on all the burdens of life without complaint and without any 'economizing'.

Before I realized what this disguised guilt really was, or what affect it was having on my life, it was too late.

I wound up alone with my Great Strength; my Guilt.

And how, now, to unburden myself of this? How to sacrifice the one thing in me that I thought to be my Great Strength?

How can I go about my life without it?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure If I understand what you're saying. Are you implying that your father did something TO you to make you feel guilty? If so I don't think ATS Is the right place for seeking help. correct me If I'm wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Sometimes Guilt is a poison, a parasite that slowly feeds off of your will until you snap and can't take it anymore. My opinion? the only way is to "get even". Something must be done equal to or greater than, the cause of the guilt in the first place. Whatever it may be. Just... don't let it ruin your life. It's far too short to be spent worrying.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWizard

It was nothing he did to me directly, but a sense of his already guilty conscience rubbing off on my growing personality as a child.

No abuse is being discussed here.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiritron9000

Thank you for the reply. I agree guilt is a sort of parasite that can feed on you. I'm not sure how to 'get even' with this particular breed however.

Other than to denounce it openly and loudly...which I find difficult to do against something I have so long "prized".

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Most people don't know there is a difference between guilt and shame. Guilt is "I have done bad." Shame is "I am bad." For me, there is great liberation in knowing that my value as an individual is not based on my works to God. My faith is the value He places on me. If I have a strong faith, then faith automatically produces works of the spirit. Grace is unmerited favor that holds a person guiltless in the eyes of God. Since faith produces works of the spirit, grace abounds in liberty and freedom form the bondage of sin and death. Life is lived in victory over any adversary.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I absolutely know what you are saying! Shed the guilt! Love yourself for you! You are not your Father or your Father's Father! Yes, you have a heritage, but do not assume any of the negative qualities. You are you and this is now and you will break the cycle! You will be ok, better than ok...extremely good!

You are at a point and a crossroads. My best advice as things heat up in the world is the more you feel the faster they go, the more you slow yourself down...hope you understand what I mean.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
What do you feel guilty about? Obviously if it's not something you did, then you shouldn't feel guilty. Just accept it as life and move on. If it is something you've done, then you might want to atone. In the book Atonement, the narrator atones for what she did by writing her book as an apology. I'm not really sure if atoning makes you feel better though because how big of an atonement would one make, and how does one know if its enough?

Speaking of guilt, I know someone who always seems to make people feel guilty. If you don't do something she wants, she'll do the guilt trip thing by saying, "I did this for you." I know it's not nice to hate things, but I really hate that. I hate when someone does something for someone and then they expect that person has to do something for them. My great-aunt was the same way. She'll give you money, but after she gives you money, you have to do everything she tells you. And if you don't do it, she'll make you feel guilty. It's a bunch of bull if you ask me. Don't let other people make you feel guilty.
edit on 9/29/2011 by Xaberz because: fixed style mistake

top topics

join