It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India files biopiracy lawsuit against Monsanto, says biotech giant is stealing nature for corporate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall

Perhaps the "ag" which is separated by a different color has a hidden connection to this?

Ag is the chemical nomenclature for silver on the periodic table.

Silver = real money.

This is all about money. Follow the money trail to Monsanto's banks.

If the courts in India are as corrupt as they are in the US, I wouldn't expect this suit to gain much traction. I think a better option would be Ag bullets to slay the werewolf that is Monsanto.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
[ Hay is a pollutant? Why, because Monsanto is about to unveil a new GM, "non-polluting" feed hay product?

It is just like anything else - put it in the wrong environment and it pollutes that environment.

Hay is a pollutant because it can be a dangerous material that anyone working with it knows about and only idiots who have never been on a farm bleat about!

You have to wear breathing aparatus if working with it in any quantity because of the amount of dust it generates, it can be the fuel for explosions, it is full of pollen, dirt, bugs. Dump a heap of it into a water way and it will suffocate it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd like to point out that BT-Bringal and any BT product of Monsanto's is not just a threat to India's vegetables, but note enviroment. After crops fail, the farmers turn back to livestock and "Roundup" previously used on that land causes disease in the livestock. It's a threat to their livelihood.

Their genetically modified Bt corn has been associated with dead livestock in India.

Sagari R. Ramdas is a veterinarian and holds a masters degree in Animal Breeding and Genetics from the University of California. He informed the Ministry of Environment and Forests in New Delhi that Monsanto's genetically modified Bt cotton is linked to sickness and death in Indian animals, including sheep, goats, cattle, and buffalo.

SOURCE

It is Monsanto going after money. But one reason I think India has been so defiant and is standing up in arms and willing to fight is because their lives are on the line. Self-preservation if you ask me. If there's no crop, then there's no money, if there's no money there's nothing to get more GM seeds with, and then they go back to livestock, they die, and then there's no money or food.

Disgusting.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
[ Hay is a pollutant? Why, because Monsanto is about to unveil a new GM, "non-polluting" feed hay product?

It is just like anything else - put it in the wrong environment and it pollutes that environment.

Hay is a pollutant because it can be a dangerous material that anyone working with it knows about and only idiots who have never been on a farm bleat about!

You have to wear breathing aparatus if working with it in any quantity because of the amount of dust it generates, it can be the fuel for explosions, it is full of pollen, dirt, bugs. Dump a heap of it into a water way and it will suffocate it.

Ladies and gentlemen, the resident hay expert who backs the government's recommendation that hay be considered a pollutant.

Dude... it's HAY. It's not asbestos.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

This is big. India is saying NO to the agricultural tyrants who seek to steal nature and then sell it commercially for their own gain.

Very big. Yeah India!

S&F&

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I have yet to hear it hear so I thought I would add...

The reason that Indian farmers are upset is that Monsanto provided cheaper seed for a genetically enhanced product for crops. Read that New and Improved. The crops need less water (which is good), are more pest resistant (which is great), and mature sooner with higher yields than native species (outstanding). Indian farmers purchased seed and started the new strains and all the promises came true.

It seems though that Monsanto neglected to mention one important point. One of the genetic modifiers is sterility of the produced seed from Monsanto's products. You have to buy new seed from them any time you want to plant a new crop. Dirt poor farmers can ill afford to do this every year as the price of seed is so high. That is how they make money farming over there, by starting small and building slow. All the advantages of Monsanto's line of agro - products shrink in comparison to that one major flaw,

The farmers are upset cause Monsanto lied to them and they only find out when they plant and nothing comes up. That is monopolistic control over markets that can little afford that kind of brutal deception. Thats why the farmers are clamoring.

I saw this on a Television show but can't remember the source. It also included a segment on China that hand pollinate crops because the honey bees are disappearing . Maybe you guys can dig it up and present it better than I.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
A couple of years ago I watched a documentary on PBS television about the dangers of GM foods. It was pretty thorough and covered most all of the main points of how unhealthy and downright dangerous the manipulation of food that our government sanctions really is. But the segment that really stood out for me was about Monsanto’s involvement with famers in India. It showed how Monsanto was exploiting poor / ignorant famers to grow GM crops as part of their research & development program. The documentary showed how the famers were becoming sick from handling the crops during harvest time. The famers had been forbidden to feed the left over crop parts to their oxen as was their custom, during Monsanto’s research period. Once Monsanto left, the famers fed the leftovers to their oxen and their livestock died overnight. I was shocked to see this with my own eyes and wondered just how dangerous the food in our local supermarket might actually be.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishing4truth
A couple of years ago I watched a documentary on PBS television about the dangers of GM foods. It was pretty thorough and covered most all of the main points of how unhealthy and downright dangerous the manipulation of food that our government sanctions really is. But the segment that really stood out for me was about Monsanto’s involvement with famers in India. It showed how Monsanto was exploiting poor / ignorant famers to grow GM crops as part of their research & development program. The documentary showed how the famers were becoming sick from handling the crops during harvest time. The famers had been forbidden to feed the left over crop parts to their oxen as was their custom, during Monsanto’s research period. Once Monsanto left, the famers fed the leftovers to their oxen and their livestock died overnight. I was shocked to see this with my own eyes and wondered just how dangerous the food in our local supermarket might actually be.

Man - I waited for someone in this thread to mention the health effects. There are tons and tons of documented studies of what GMOs to your body. Cattle going sterile after being fed GMO corn, and regaining virility once GMO corn was removed from their diet. And I'm not talking about privately done studies, but very objective ones. One of the scariest things to consider is that most GMO plants are actually tiny pesticide factories, which is what they've been engineered to do. It has been documented that the proteins in GMOs jump from the plant to human DNA in the stomach, causing your stomach to become its own pesticide factory - EVEN AFTER YOU STOP EATING GMOS!

I will not touch them ever, ever, ever. I read the ingredients on everything I buy, and they're in so many processed foods, from frozen dinners to yogurt, to margarine, soups,crackers, desserts, mayonaise, that I've resorted to making almost everything myself.

Since their introduction, stomach problems in North American have gone up sharply. One scientist who worked for Monsanto said WTF when he saw what they were doing - crudely injecting DNA into plant matter which no precision whatsoever. He said this could yield a different result every time and that like Mad Cow disease, the effects might not show up for years because you're dealing with a protein.

Reports of many of Monsanto's claims about their crops have shown that in many cases, crop yields are LOWER and of poorer variety.

Finally, Monsanto's bovine growth hormone that is in US milk. It is beyond amazing that milk companies in the US are NOT ALLOWED to have "hormone free" on their packages, after Monsanto sued a company that did.

Monsanto are a urine and excrement sandwhich with snot sauce. I HHAATTEE them!

Just in case anyone has not seen this video:

edit on 9-10-2011 by thebtheb because: Video did not come out properly.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

Unless you grown your own fruits, vegetables etc with heirloom seeds then you are more than likely still eating GM foods, organic does not mean that they are not GM seeds, you may already know that but sadly many consumers do not.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Well I don't know what organic means in every country, but there is the USDA certification that is pretty reliable:
``This seal certifies that the product is at least 95% organic, and that no genetically modified ingredients or derivatives were used in the manufacture of the food product: the remaining 5% of the ingredients are legally required to be non-GMO. To earn the USDA seal, a food product undergoes an extensive certification process that goes from field to fork.``

Beyond that, I simply research everything I buy. Sometimes I email the companies. A lot of organic companies are very good - some are not. It`s up to the consumer to find out. Most of the veggies in an average supermarket are not GMO. Just the corn and now, a few others. It`s the ingredients in processed foods that contain most of the GMOs we consume, in the form of soy products, corn products, canola oil and cottonseed. These four things are in EVERYthing!

But I`m quite anal about it, and even if something says `may contain corn`` but probably doesn`t, I won`t eat it.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants

I honestly believe that the whole GMO issue is instigated by the NWO. It's insane to mass produce food that is slowly killing people. I've read that our government is responsible for creating bacterial strains that could infect people on a massive scale. I've also read that our Government has planned responses for any outbreak of epidemic proportions. New virulent strains of influenza could easily be introduced into our water system or misted into light rails and subway lines. I believe that GMO's are designed to break down people's immune systems making them more susceptible to being infected by our own Government. It reminds me of a book I’m reading called, “Unnatural Murder.” That book tells the true story of how a 15th Century English aristocrat named Sir Thomas Overbury was slowly poisoned with mercury in his food. I used to naively believe and trust everything our Government told me. Now I don’t trust our Government as far as I can throw the White House.

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in your food may make you sick. Studies link GMOs with toxins, allergies, infertility, infant mortality, immune dysfunction, stunted growth, accelerated aging, and death. Whistleblowers were fired, threatened, and gagged. Warnings by FDA scientists were ignored. You may have heard the FDA and food industry claims that genetically modified (GM) foods are safe, properly tested, and necessary to feed a hungry world. UNTRUE! Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are one of the most dangerous and radical changes to our food supply. These largely unregulated ingredients found in 60-70% of the foods in the US, are well worth the effort to avoid them. Many consumers in the US mistakenly believe that the FDA approves GM foods through rigorous, in-depth, long-term studies. In reality, the agency has absolutely no safety testing requirements. Instead the agency relies on research from companies like Monsanto, research that is meticulously designed to avoid finding problems.

It’s easy to understand the FDA’s industry-friendly policy on regulation of GMOs when you see the revolving door between agency regulators and the companies they regulate. The White House mandate to the FDA (under the first George Bush) was to promote biotechnology and the person in charge of developing the agency’s policy at that time was a former Monsanto attorney, who later returned to Monsanto as their vice president.

The FDA has claimed it was not aware of any information showing that GM crops were different “in any meaningful or uniform way,” from non-GMO crops and therefore didn’t require testing. But 44,000 internal FDA documents made public by a lawsuit show that this was a complete lie. The overwhelming consensus among the FDA’s own scientists was that GM foods were quite different and could lead to unpredictable and hard-to-detect allergens, toxins, new diseases and nutritional problems. It turns out that FDA scientists, who had urged superiors to require long-term studies, were ignored. See, Failed Government Regulation.

Even though evidence of this apparent fraud at the FDA was presented at a Washington, D.C. press conference in 1999 with major media in attendance, the media didn’t alert the public. In fact, most Americans know so little about this subject, that only about 1 in 4 consumers even know if they’ve ever eaten a GM food in their lives, even though the vast majority of processed foods contain derivatives from the four major GM crops: soy, corn, cottonseed and canola. See, GM Foods at a Glance.

Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

Since then, findings include:
◦Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants
◦Mice eating GM corn for the long term had fewer, and smaller, babies
◦More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, and were smaller
◦Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy change significantly
◦By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
◦Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
◦Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen
◦Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced
◦The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.
◦Studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join