It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swarming Birds on 9.27.2011 at approx 5:30 PM EST

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Something strange happened a short time ago and I wanted to see if anyone could provide some logic to it. I was sitting on the sofa in my living room working on my laptop with my back to the windows (which are behind the sofa). After a few minutes, I noticed some type of fast moving object in the reflection of my computer screen. Then I saw it again. The first two or three times, I ignored it because I was trying to focus on what I was doing, but then it started looking really freaky with many fast moving objects so I turned around and within 2-3 minutes, this is what I saw:

I stopped filming when I heard a commotion downstairs outside of my apartment. I went down and one of my neighbors said he came running in because the birds, which I was filming in the rear of the house, were seemingly everywhere outside. Whereas the ones I filmed seemed to be flying in unison for the most part, he saw many out front which seemed to be flying in a discombobulated fashion. He became so spooked by them that he came running inside.

Now, it's possible that birds do this on occasion under certain circumstances. I'm not an ornithologist and I have no idea if this might be usual; all I know is that I'VE never seen this before around here and I've lived in this apartment for several years. Does anyone know if this might be usual bird behavior and if so, under what circumstances?

Another strange thing is that my cats are usually glued to this window - it's basically what they live for and they'll sit on the long glass table between the window and sofa all day long hoping to catch sight of something (when they do, they make this really strange grunting noise which I assume are instinctual hunting sounds). When looking at the video I had shot, I realized that they were nowhere to be found on the video, so I went looking for them. I found them both hiding (one was under the bed and the other was on top of a set of kitchen cabinets she's never ventured upon before because they are VERY high). Again, this might be a coincidence, but it seemed strange to me.

Anyway, this whole thing with the birds seemed to last between 15-20 minutes.

Last thing I want to point out is the unusualness of the sky. I know this has been mentioned in other threads (bizarre looking clouds and such), but there's been this strange layered look to the skies lately. In the video you can see a gray haze over the river, then a layer of white fluffy clouds and then blue skies with what appear to be contrails (or chemtrails depending on your beliefs).

Does anyone have any theories on all of this? Interconnected or just a random set of coincidences?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i hear its migration season....just an idea...but it would be strange being that animals are always first to know of something baddd....just have to sit and eat some popcorn while we wait.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Please put your video public so we can all see it. Right now it's on private. Kind of hard.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Pleaseeee make the video public, very interested.

Also, where in the states are you?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Sorry about that - I'm still a Youtube novice. Should be okay now.
edit on 9/27/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Maybe they are starlings? Their flocks can be immense at times. I have seen thousands at a time in PA.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

Rockland county, NY - about 15 miles north of NYC.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Hmm... I can't really say much based on the video.

I would check with friends in the area to see if they have seen anything strange things today.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Hmm... I can't really say much based on the video.

I would check with friends in the area to see if they have seen anything strange things today.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Maybe they are starlings? Their flocks can be immense at times. I have seen thousands at a time in PA.

Just googled a picture and that's what they appeared to be. I guess it's just usual migration but I've never seen them fly like that so it was unusual to me. Thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
We get a lot flocks here that swarm from one place to the next like that, then they go back. Looks pretty normal to me. I wouldn't worry.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I am not sure about the birds, they were not flying like a flock typically does.

Wasn't it you OP that had the strange sounds and noises going on not to long ago?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
yea those fall migrations are so bizarre.
Next thing you know, whole flocks of geese will be flying over your house! its a Canadian Invasion!

www.npwrc.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It appears like it just could be the normal flocking of birds before migration...

but the cat thing is what makes it interesting.??

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Migrating season.

Sometimes when sailing the sea's, we had big flocks of birds landing on the ship, for a quick break.
They usually stayed for a couple of hours, and then took of again, hawks and other big birds also took a free ride in cases.

And when they left, it was my job to clean up after them, pretty messy job

edit on 27-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I'm in Sydney and our skies a couple of hours ago appeared the same as yours. My animals appear to be of normal behaviour. Birds outside also appear normal.

The birds outside of your place are probably preparing for migration away or are a migration thats only arrived.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

No problem. Sometimes the flocks are so immense that they actually cause car accidents because people around here are looking at them when they should be keeping their eyes on the road. I am a New Yorker transplanted to PA- and they say NYers can't drive...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Merely thought it was cool looking until I saw my neighbor - not used to seeing this 6' 2", 275 lbs man all freaked out like that which probably, in turn, gave me the heebie's.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It just a flock of starlings..
im new, so im sorry if this sounds silly but why did this get s&f?.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

any cats around the water/shore area?,,
or dead fish?,,
a lot of bugs,, in the air?

abnormal dont think so.

<<   2  3 >>

join