It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ratings Collapse of The Establishment Media Represents A Huge Cultural Change In The West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

There is a massive media shift taking place in America and other Western countries as more and more young people reject mainstream media institutions. They are turning to blogs, Internet news anchors, social media websites like Twitter and Facebook, and internet-based commentators to get their news and alternative perspectives of reality.

Big media companies have no chance competing against the rising independent media in a free-market atmosphere. They are history unless they can successfully lobby the federal government to censor anti-government websites in the name of cyber security.

But such extreme measures to silence free speech and maintain the authority of the establishment media are likely to be resisted by sophisticated activists. Young people have every kind of technological gadget at their disposal to access their favorite podcasts, blogs and radio shows which are independently operated and offer unique perspectives to world events.

This huge shift in news consumption will have cultural, social and political ramifications for many years to come, possibly altering the very nature of our societies and our governments. What we are witnessing is no small revolution - it is the liberation of the Western media and, by extension, the Western public mind, from government and corporate narratives about history and reality.

Source to article

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This to me is some great news. People ARE waking up and the more that people wake up the faster others will.

The Internets creation made it possible for people to interact with one another as an "alternate" media source, and I hope it becomes the Giant Killer. But the question remains, will the big media play a trump card before their demise?
Things are getting quite interesting.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
One reason for this shift, IMO, is that most people are not as hard-lined for one particular view or political party, yet that is what we get from the US media.

The average person is willing to alter their opinions when confronted with hard facts and common sense issues. The media has tunnel-vision and their reporting reflects that. The days of CNN and FoxNews are numbered unless they change with the rest of us!
edit on 27-9-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
One reason for this shift, IMO, is that most people are not as hard-lined for one particular view or political party, yet that is what we get from the US media.

The average person is willing to alter their opinions when confronted with hard facts and common sense issues. The media has tunnel-vision and their reporting reflects that. The days of CNN and FoxNews are numbered unless they change with the rest of us!
edit on 27-9-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

Amen to that.
Those who are awaken actually notice the stunts the MSM pull and help point those stunts out to others. It's like the MSN are still clueless that their tactics are easily noticeable now.

Reminds me of this video exposing CNN

The more people see things like this the more hope humanity has. Just gotta keep spreading the word.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
One tactic that I see used by the MSM is that they find ways to belittle alternative news sources because of other content those sites may contain.

For example, ATS is a great source for breaking news and alternative news of importance. The MSM can easily invalidate the site because it also contains UFO and 9/11 theories.

It's a disingenious tactic but it works with some poeple, and works will all of the "intellectual elite".

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
well that is good to hear.

keep cloggin up those facebook newsfeeds with truth people.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
well that is good to hear.

keep cloggin up those facebook newsfeeds with truth people.

As Much as I dislike facebook and their sell out ways, sometimes we need to turn those things that are against us against those who stand in the way of humanity's evolution. The question is, are we too late? Or can this gain ground?

I think if we all did our part with just a link a day, humanity will awaken much sooner than expected.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hopefully with the uprise of independent mediums we will continue to see a shift away from the MSM. I would venture to guess 60-70% of the votes come election day were based off of what someone saw or heard on the major news networks, which is why we're in the mess we're in now.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I agree the rise of independent media is especially promising, but it has to become coupled with some sort of action to restore the political process with the knowledge known. Having independent media could very well be a double edged sword as you would have people divide into camps along pre-existing beliefs and read sources that only reinforce what they alread think they know. This already happens in the political blogosphere.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Sux for you rupert murdoch.

top topics

join